Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expensive Goof up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve.freeman(at)syntaxds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Expensive Goof up Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Yesterday when I was attaching the wire from my starter solenoid to my starter I somehow managed to cross thread the stud on the positive terminal on the solenoid or what I call the “plunger” side of the Sky-Tec 122-12pm starter. There was no way to get this off other than cutting it so now this 100% brand new starter is completely useless.

Question to the group is do any of you guys know why I can purchase just the solenoid side of the starter or do you know why I could possibly send this for repair? Does anyone out there possibly have an old starter where the solenoid side is still good you might want to part with?

This was very disheartening as if I can’t find a solution this turns out to be roughly a $400.00 screw.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve Freeman

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Expensive Goof up Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I'm not familiar with the starter, but I am confident you can get help from the manufacturer. They must have a way to repair your starter. You might have to pay them to do it but that should be a lot better than buying a new one.

Paul
Camas, WA

On 7/1/2012 7:41 AM, Steven Freeeman wrote:

[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi Guys,

Yesterday when I was attaching the wire from my starter solenoid to my starter I somehow managed to cross thread the stud on the positive terminal on the solenoid or what I call the “plunger” side of the Sky-Tec 122-12pm starter. There was no way to get this off other than cutting it so now this 100% brand new starter is completely useless.

Question to the group is do any of you guys know why I can purchase just the solenoid side of the starter or do you know why I could possibly send this for repair? Does anyone out there possibly have an old starter where the solenoid side is still good you might want to part with?

This was very disheartening as if I can’t find a solution this turns out to be roughly a $400.00 screw.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve Freeman

Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Expensive Goof up Reply with quote

Steve:

You have a couple of options:
1 - Call Sky-Tec and ask for Less Staples, he is a friend, explain the situation and don't BS him, he has heard it all. He is VERY, VERY HELPFUL.
Mention my name.
2 - Tighten down the nut as far as it will go. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN - The terminal is ONLY COPPER and the Nut is STEEL. Then see how much thread you have showing. Get a THIN WALL NUT, to snug down on top of the lug and first nut.
All this depends on IF you have enough room for the lug and second nut - AND - Do not use a SPLIT Lock Washer - Use a STAR WASHER.
CAUTION GUYS: The lugs on your Master & Starter Relays are also COPPER!

Barry

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Steven Freeeman <steve.freeman(at)syntaxds.com (steve.freeman(at)syntaxds.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi Guys,

Yesterday when I was attaching the wire from my starter solenoid to my starter I somehow managed to cross thread the stud on the positive terminal on the solenoid or what I call the plunger side of the Sky-Tec 122-12pm starter. There was no way to get this off other than cutting it so now this 100% brand new starter is completely useless.

This was very disheartening as if I cant find a solution this turns out to be roughly a $400.00 screw.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve Freeman

Quote:

arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

steve.freeman(at)syntaxds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Expensive Goof up Reply with quote

Hi Barry,

What is your last name so when I call mister staples I'll be able to give a proper a reference. thanks a lot for your help hopefully it'll work out. I sent Sky-Tec an email yesterday I would not expect to hear from them before tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Steve (fingers crossed) freeman

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID
-----Original message-----
[quote]From: FLYaDIVE <flyadive(at)gmail.com>
To:
zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Sent:
Sun, Jul 1, 2012 14:36:49 MST
Subject:
Re: Zenith-List: Expensive Goof up
Steve:

You have a couple of options:
1 - Call Sky-Tec and ask for Less Staples, he is a friend, explain the situation and don't BS him, he has heard it all.  He is VERY, VERY HELPFUL.
Mention my name.
2 - Tighten down the nut as far as it will go.  DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN - The terminal is ONLY COPPER and the Nut is STEEL.  Then see how much thread you have showing.  Get a THIN WALL NUT, to snug down on top of the lug and first nut.
All this depends on IF you have enough room for the lug and second nut  - AND - Do not use a SPLIT Lock Washer - Use a STAR WASHER.
CAUTION GUYS:  The lugs on your Master & Starter Relays are also COPPER!

Barry

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Steven Freeeman <steve.freeman(at)syntaxds.com (steve.freeman(at)syntaxds.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi Guys,

Yesterday when I was attaching the wire from my starter solenoid to my starter I somehow managed to cross thread the stud on the positive terminal on the solenoid or what I call the “plunger” side of the Sky-Tec 122-12pm starter.  There was no way to get this off other than cutting it so now this 100% brand new starter is completely useless.

Question to the group is do any of you guys know why I can purchase just the solenoid side of the starter or do you know why I could possibly send this for repair?  Does anyone out there possibly have an old starter where the solenoid side is still good you might want to part with?

Thanks for any advice.

Steve Freeman

Quote:

arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Expensive Goof up Reply with quote

Steve:

The last name is Schulte, Just say "Chop'd Liver" sent you.
WHOOPS!! I spelled his name wrong... it is* Les *Staples, hope you caught
that.
Barry
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM, Steve Freeman <steve.freeman(at)syntaxds.com>wrote:

[quote] Hi Barry,

What is your last name so when I call mister staples I'll be able to give
a proper a reference. thanks a lot for your help hopefully it'll work out

hallert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Expensive Goof up Reply with quote

The Sky Tec guys are great! I broke the Al casting on an O-200 starter by using the wrong bolt thread and they replaced it no charge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: