Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

grounding procedures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnoffs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

hi all,
 lately i have been filling my plane out of 5 gal. plastic cans and i am finding it not too time consuming. the biggest reason is higher octane mogas than i can get at the airport.
 anyway............i need some advice on grounding.i have a 12 volt pump mounted and it is powered by a battery 20 feet away. i have a handheld switch . i set the plastic can on the table and fuel is transferred thru vinyl tubing. at the airplane end is a metal filter. pumps a gallon a minute. i plan to set up a ground to the exhaust pipe [all tanks are grounded to the engine] but i do not know how to ground   the pump or hoses. any advice would be appreciated.
 bob noffs
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
dave.saylor.aircrafters(a

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

My understanding is that the greatest danger comes from a spark
jumping between the container and the filler neck.

To prevent that, I always very consciously keep the spout in contact
with the filler neck. When I'm finished filling, I methodically drag
the spout away from the opening before breaking contact. That way, if
a spark jumps the gap, it doesn't happen near the filler opening.

The worst accident I've heard of (I met the victim) illustrates some
valuable lessons. He was pouring fuel from a bucket through a funnel
into a wing. He got the spark/flash, and it wouldn't have been as
horrible if he hadn't instinctively jumped back and spilled the bucket
all over himself. He's lucky to be alive but he'll never be the same.
So another point is to use a closed container with a smallish neck
and opening. That way the flash doesn't ignite the entire volume, and
it doesn't spill as fast if it's dropped.

I've been told that grounding a plastic container is very difficult.
I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

Dave Saylor
831-750-0284 CL
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM, bob noffs <icubob(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
hi all,
lately i have been filling my plane out of 5 gal. plastic cans and i am
finding it not too time consuming. the biggest reason is higher octane mogas
than i can get at the airport.
anyway.............i need some advice on grounding.i have a 12 volt pump
mounted and it is powered by a battery 20 feet away. i have a handheld
switch . i set the plastic can on the table and fuel is transferred thru
vinyl tubing. at the airplane end is a metal filter. pumps a gallon a
minute. i plan to set up a ground to the exhaust pipe [all tanks are
grounded to the engine] but i do not know how to ground the pump or hoses.
any advice would be appreciated.
bob noffs

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

deej(at)deej.net

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

On 07/10/2012 12:37 PM, bob noffs wrote:
i plan to set up a ground to the exhaust pipe
Quote:
[all tanks are grounded to the engine] but i do not know how to ground
the pump or hoses. any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Bob,
If you don't mind spending a small amount of money, might I suggest a
different container?

The really cheap option if you want to continue using a 5 gallon
container, is an all metal safety can, such as:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/eagle-safety-gas-can-5-gal--3958668

Drill a hole in the handle and attach a flexible grounding wire (Lowes,
about $19)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_348276-273-5977001_0__?productId=3645156&Ntt=steel+cable&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=
For something a little more fancy, search for "portable fuel caddy" on
Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=15+gallon+fuel+tank#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=portable+fuel+caddy&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aportable+fuel+caddy
I ended up buying a 15 gallon metal fuel container from the local
Tractor Supply store, mounted it in my truck, and added one of their 12v
GPI EZ-8 Fuel Pumps, which uses conductive hoses. I attached a
grounding line between the the tank and pump, and to the aircraft (using
the Lowes steel cable above and a simple spring clamp for the airplane
end), and since the fuel pump uses conductive hoses it also provides
another path for grounding. I probably have $300 in total for this
setup, but it is arguably as "safe" as the airport's fuel truck in terms
of grounding, and I can use it for all of the toys at home, too.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/gpi-reg-ez-8-fuel-pump-1-10-hp-3-4-in-inlet-3858004

http://www.egascans.com/15-gallon-gas-cans/
I'd be very concerned using a plastic fuel can, and vinyl transfer
line, neither of which can be grounded safely.

-Dj

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

At 11:37 AM 7/10/2012, you wrote:
hi all,
lately i have been filling my plane out of 5 gal. plastic cans and i am finding it not too time consuming. the biggest reason is higher octane mogas than i can get at the airport.
anyway.............i need some advice on grounding.i have a 12 volt pump mounted and it is powered by a battery 20 feet away. i have a handheld switch . i set the plastic can on the table and fuel is transferred thru vinyl tubing. at the airplane end is a metal filter. pumps a gallon a minute. i plan to set up a ground to the exhaust pipe [all tanks are grounded to the engine] but i do not know how to ground the pump or hoses. any advice would be appreciated.

I had this conversation with fellow who stopped in
at our airport for fuel way back when. He was flying
one of the Rutan Ez airplanes (all plastic) and as
I fueled him, he expressed concerns about vapor fires
while transferring fuel in the hangar next to his house.

I suggested that one could take a cue from the heavy
iron airplanes fitted with single point fueling ports.
You can avoid vapor/spillage issues entirely when
access to the tanks is fitted with a auto shut-off quick-
connect like those used in hydraulic systems:

The fitting might even replace the tank's water drains.
You could craft a water-inspection tool to access this port
and fit your fuel transfer hose with the mating fitting.
Remove the fuel cap to fill. You can watch down the filler
cap to effect the appropriate time to shut off flow but
without placing anything conductive and/or static prone in
the vicinity of the filler cap.

He thought he would do that for his airplane . . . but never
saw him again or got any feedback on the technique. Seems
like one could fill a tank with zero chance for spilled fuel
and/or generation of sparks near the vented vapors.

If it's good for a Boeing or a Hawker, it might be just as
good for an RV.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

skywagon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

This is a very worth while thread.... as some time or another, fueling with
portable containers can bite you...
Some suggestions to add to others replying.....

* be especially aware of the static spark problem on hotter, drier days..
* the flowing fuel itself generates static voltage, again, dry days are
worse.
* some insert a type of copper ground wire inside the fueling line itself so
that it is in contact with the fuel from end to end; plastic container to
funnel and aircraft.
* plastic containers as mentioned before are the worst for fueling when they
are used directly on the wing pouring. If on the end of an extended fuel
hose via a pump, that is different but, still a problem as the vinyl hose
could easily build up a static charge. That is where the copper wire
running the whole length inside the hose would help drain off any building
charge.
* again, as mentioned earlier it is important to figure a method to ground
the fuel contain, hoses, etc. to the tank being filled. If done properly,
no static of any consequence should build to the point of a discharge.

Hopefully, others will add to and correct this list.

I also have a personal example of what this kind of accident can do. A
local gal, who was a 1st class ultralights pilot and instructor, was filling
her wing tank via a plastic container on a warm, dry day in Oregon. A spark
jumped, fire ensued instantly and she too accidently got fuel splashed on
her as she jumped down. Ultralights was a total loss and she spent years
trying to get her body damage corrected with surgery. Dave
---

bobnoffs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

i am thinking of pushing a copper wire thru the vinyl hose from each end [an end in the can and an end in the aircraft] and when i get to the metal pump i am thinking i can clamp the wire between the vinyl tube wall and the metal barb on the pump. the pump will then be grounded. also ground the plane. how bout that?
 bob noffs
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM, David Lloyd <skywagon(at)charter.net (skywagon(at)charter.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "David Lloyd" <skywagon(at)charter.net (skywagon(at)charter.net)>

This is a very worth while thread.... as some time or another, fueling with portable containers can bite you...

* the flowing fuel itself generates static voltage, again, dry days are worse.
* some insert a type of copper ground wire inside the fueling line itself so that it is in contact with the fuel from end to end; plastic container to funnel and aircraft.
* plastic containers as mentioned before are the worst for fueling when they are used directly on the wing pouring.  If on the end of an extended fuel hose via a pump, that is different but, still a problem as the vinyl hose could easily build up a static charge.  That is where the copper wire running the whole length inside the hose would help drain off any building charge.
* again, as mentioned earlier it is important to figure a method to ground the fuel contain, hoses, etc. to the tank being filled.  If  done properly, no static of any consequence should build to the point of a discharge.

I also have a personal example of what this kind of accident can do.  A local gal, who was a 1st class ultralights pilot and instructor, was filling her wing tank via a plastic container on a warm, dry day in Oregon.  A spark jumped, fire ensued instantly and she too accidently got fuel splashed on her as she jumped down.  Ultralights was a total loss and she spent years trying to get her body damage corrected with surgery.  Dave

---

peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I has a similar set up a while ago. I believe the danger is static produced by the flow of fuel through the plastic hose, with a charge building up on the nozzle jumping to the airplane and igniting and vapour near the filler neck.

I used a piece of copper plumbing pipe as a filler spout and soldered some thick speaker cable to it. I connected that to the airplane exhaust to make the airplane and filler spout at the same potential. I also used steel fuel cans and ran the speaker wire. wound around the pipe, back to the filler can and connected with a large croc clip. The pump motor was also hooked up to avoid any static build up. You can also connect the whole lot to a steel stake in the ground if you really want to.

I used a small 7ah battery to power the whole thing - it would pump 5gals in about 3 minutes. It worked quite well.

Hope this helps, Peter

On 10/07/2012 17:37, bob noffs wrote:

[quote] hi all,
anyway.............i need some advice on grounding.i have a 12 volt pump mounted and it is powered by a battery 20 feet away. i have a handheld switch . i set the plastic can on the table and fuel is transferred thru vinyl tubing. at the airplane end is a metal filter. pumps a gallon a minute. i plan to set up a ground to the exhaust pipe [all tanks are grounded to the engine] but i do not know how to ground the pump or hoses. any advice would be appreciated.
bob noffs
Quote:

[b]

ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

Don't use a plastic gas can! Replace it with a steel one. You can't afford to use cheap parts, equipment, on airplanes. Smile

Also, if you are flying a composite plane, the the gas cap filler ring is not grounded unless the builder ran a ground wire to the ships ground. When filling from a steel can, touch the nozzle to the ring and your body is ground to earth. Do this even when filling off a truck or fuel island. You only get one chance!
[quote] ---

jbr79r(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

Smoe thing that was determined awhile back by the CAFE foundation was that the best way to get rid of static was to wipe around the fuel cap with a damp rag before fueling. This is what i do with my Glasair
Jim

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: grounding procedures

i am thinking of pushing a copper wire thru the vinyl hose from each end [an end in the can and an end in the aircraft] and when i get to the metal pump i am thinking i can clamp the wire between the vinyl tube wall and the metal barb on the pump. the pump will then be grounded. also ground the plane. how bout that?
bob noffs
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM, David Lloyd <skywagon(at)charter.net (skywagon(at)charter.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "David Lloyd" <skywagon(at)charter.net (skywagon(at)charter.net)>

This is a very worth while thread.... as some time or another, fueling with portable containers can bite you...

* some insert a type of copper ground wire inside the fueling line itself so that it is in contact with the fuel from end to end; plastic container to funnel and aircraft.
* plastic containers as mentioned before are the worst for fueling when they are used directly on the wing pouring. If on the end of an extended fuel hose via a pump, that is different but, still a problem as the vinyl hose could easily build up a static charge. That is where the copper wire running the whole length inside the hose would help drain off any building charge.
* again, as mentioned earlier it is important to figure a method to ground the fuel contain, hoses, etc. to the tank being filled. If done properly, no static of any consequence should build to the point of a discharge.

I also have a personal example of what this kind of accident can do. A local gal, who was a 1st class ultralights pilot and instructor, was filling her wing tank via a plastic container on a warm, dry day in Oregon. A spark jumped, fire ensued instantly and she too accidently got fuel splashed on her as she jumped down. Ultralights was a total loss and she spent years trying to get her body damage corrected with surgery. Dave

---

jay(at)horriblehyde.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

Hi there Bob,

The point of grounding is to ensure that all items in the fuelling process are at the same potential; no potential difference then no spark between items; no spark, no BOOM! (sometimes started off by a small and seemingly insignificant announcement like, ‘oh, damn!’)

You get a potential difference between items because of static build up, perhaps a bit of capacitance, and from the flow of the fuel itself (working similarly to you rubbing a jersey against your car in dry air- static build up). Connect a thin wire (even 22AWG would be fine) from the negative of your external pump battery and run it along the fuel tubing to the metal filter- and also back to your plastic can. Connect it electrically to the filter and continue along to the end of the tube where it goes into the tank. Put a crocodile clip on the end and connect that to the tank inlet- also put a croc clip at the plastic can end and clip it to the can. You can also run a lead to the exhaust but essentially the only place that you are concerned about is where the fuel could ignite- right at the filler.
By running that wire all along the fuel line, from source to delivery point, each item is held at the same potential; no potential difference, no spark.
Yes, I know that the refuelling can is plastic, but plastic can still build up a static charge.
As an additional precaution you could also connect the battery negative to a metal plate that it lies on top of, but, that can be quite meaningless in terms of earthing/ grounding the system, depending on what surface this is all sitting on.
Better to bring the whole system to voltage equality by holding the metal filter when you approach the aircraft and then touch the wing with your palm. Any potential difference will be balanced and you can now connect the delivery side to the tank inlet comfortably.

Jay

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of bob noffs
Sent: 10 July 2012 06:38 PM
To: aeroelectric list
Subject: grounding procedures

hi all,

bob noffs
Quote:
[/b][/b][/b][b]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List[b]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

jay(at)horriblehyde.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

That’ll work.

Jay

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of bob noffs
Sent: 10 July 2012 10:19 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: grounding procedures

bob noffs

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "David Lloyd" <skywagon(at)charter.net (skywagon(at)charter.net)>

* plastic containers as mentioned before are the worst for fueling when they are used directly on the wing pouring. If on the end of an extended fuel hose via a pump, that is different but, still a problem as the vinyl hose could easily build up a static charge. That is where the copper wire running the whole length inside the hose would help drain off any building charge.
* again, as mentioned earlier it is important to figure a method to ground the fuel contain, hoses, etc. to the tank being filled. If done properly, no static of any consequence should build to the point of a discharge.

I also have a personal example of what this kind of accident can do. A local gal, who was a 1st class ultralights pilot and instructor, was filling her wing tank via a plastic container on a warm, dry day in Oregon. A spark jumped, fire ensued instantly and she too accidently got fuel splashed on her as she jumped down. Ultralights was a total loss and she spent years trying to get her body damage corrected with surgery. Dave
---

raymondj(at)frontiernet.n

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

Bob,

Another thing to consider is what happens if/when the pump fails in some
way. Is it possible for the electrons to find a path that would cause a
problem? I don't have an answer, but it seems like another possible way
for bad things to happen.

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

"And you know that I could have me a million more friends,
and all I'd have to lose is my point of view." - John Prine
On 07/10/2012 03:19 PM, bob noffs wrote:
[quote] i am thinking of pushing a copper wire thru the vinyl hose from each end
[an end in the can and an end in the aircraft] and when i get to the
metal pump i am thinking i can clamp the wire between the vinyl tube
wall and the metal barb on the pump. the pump will then be grounded.
also ground the plane. how bout that?
bob noffs

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM, David Lloyd <skywagon(at)charter.net
<mailto:skywagon(at)charter.net>> wrote:

<skywagon(at)charter.net <mailto:skywagon(at)charter.net>>

This is a very worth while thread.... as some time or another,
fueling with portable containers can bite you...

* be especially aware of the static spark problem on hotter, drier
days..
* the flowing fuel itself generates static voltage, again, dry days
are worse.
* some insert a type of copper ground wire inside the fueling line
itself so that it is in contact with the fuel from end to end;
plastic container to funnel and aircraft.
* plastic containers as mentioned before are the worst for fueling
when they are used directly on the wing pouring. If on the end of
an extended fuel hose via a pump, that is different but, still a
problem as the vinyl hose could easily build up a static charge.
That is where the copper wire running the whole length inside the
hose would help drain off any building charge.
* again, as mentioned earlier it is important to figure a method to
ground the fuel contain, hoses, etc. to the tank being filled. If
done properly, no static of any consequence should build to the
point of a discharge.

I also have a personal example of what this kind of accident can do.
A local gal, who was a 1st class ultralights pilot and instructor,
was filling her wing tank via a plastic container on a warm, dry day
in Oregon. A spark jumped, fire ensued instantly and she too
accidently got fuel splashed on her as she jumped down. Ultralights
was a total loss and she spent years trying to get her body damage
corrected with surgery. Dave
---

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

At 03:31 AM 7/11/2012, you wrote:
Quote:

Bob,

Another thing to consider is what happens if/when the pump fails in
some way. Is it possible for the electrons to find a path that
would cause a problem? I don't have an answer, but it seems like
another possible way for bad things to happen.

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

The fuel is itself a non-conductor so things happening
at the input end of a hose are not electrically relevant
to things that occur at the other end. Static electricity
is only loosely related to power electricity. While the
earliest investigations into the nature of electrons involved
the migration of electrons from one surface to another
as static sources, none of these phenomenon produced
a practical power sources.

Static electricity is a byproduct of motion between
two substances with dissimilar affinities for hanging
onto their electrons. The substances need not be conductive.
You can rub a balloon on cat's fur and generate an observable
effect of electron migration in spite of the fact that
the two materials are exceedingly poor conductors.

Hence, the sources for static generation are limitless.
The risks are obviously limited to the small sphere
of conditions existing in the immediate vicinity of
any exposed fuel, oxygen and potential ignition source.

Risks are reduced when any number of the three
components are removed from the mix. Single point
fueling fixtures remove exposed fuel and air
sources. So even if drew a healthy arc between
the two fittings as they are mated or de-mated,
risks for escalating combustion are zero.

If your intent is to stick a delivery device into
an open fuel tank, then care must be made to control
the greatest risks (1) spillage and (2) ignition
source that might ignite vapors. The whole grounding
issue goes to control of ignition source. This
can be vexing for combinations of plastic airplanes,
non-conductive hoses, high rates of fuel flow, etc.

Filling from a hand-held plastic fuel can does
not represent a strong potential for an ignition
source. Flow rates are low and there's no gathering
point for a build-up of arc potential (like your
fingertip approaching the door handle). Instances
of fire when filling lawn mowers were the result
of added risk for spillage over a hot engine that
made the vapors hype-sensitive to tiny sparks
that are happening all the time all around us
anytime two non conductors move in close proximity
to each other.

The strongest prophylactic for unintended
combustion has more to do with careful avoidance
of spillage and high flow rates into the tank
(through the same kind of hose used to put a
full load on a King Air in minutes). Those same
hoses MIGHT be a conductor of differential static
potential between two LARGE capacitors . . . the surface
of an airplane and the surfaces of a fuel truck.
High flow rates into the tank cause both increased
intensity of static buildup and outflow of vapors
from the tank's heads pace.

Adding a 'ground wire' inside a non-conducting fuel
hose only serves to bring a connection from the static
capacity of the delivery system out to the end of the
hose. Adding such wire only INCREASES the need for grounding
the delivery system to the airframe before approaching
the filler neck with the end of the hose.

Risks for a hand-held pour from a plastic 'can' is
exceedingly low.
Bob . . .

raymondj(at)frontiernet.n

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

Bob,

I was thinking more along the lines of a failure of the electrical
portion of the pump resulting in the pump body being energized and the
electrons moving into the system designed to handle static charge.
Similar to kind of event that the grounding wire in a 3 prong plug is
designed to manage.

Just a thought.

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

On 07/11/2012 11:12 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:

<nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>

>
>
> Bob,
>
> Another thing to consider is what happens if/when the pump fails in
> some way. Is it possible for the electrons to find a path that would
> cause a problem? I don't have an answer, but it seems like another
> possible way for bad things to happen.
>
> Raymond Julian
> Kettle River, MN.

--------------------------- SNIP -----------------------------------

Quote:
Bob . . .

bobnoffs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

got a lot of good info from all the replies. i think i will go with the wire in the tube only because it is less likely to mar a finish. that wire will connect to metal tube in plastic can, the metal pump and the metal fuel filter on the airplane end. a ground wire from the exhaust pipes to the metal pump should make a spark impossible. am i missing something? the only other thing i can think of is to run a wire from the pump to the earth. would this serve any purpose?
 bob noffs
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM, rayj <raymondj(at)frontiernet.net (raymondj(at)frontiernet.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: rayj <raymondj(at)frontiernet.net (raymondj(at)frontiernet.net)>

Bob,

I was thinking more along the lines of a failure of the electrical portion of the pump resulting in the pump body being energized and the electrons moving into the system designed to handle static charge. Similar to kind of event that the grounding wire in a 3 prong plug is designed to manage.

Just a thought.

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

On 07/11/2012 11:12 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III"
<nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)>

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: rayj <raymondj(at)frontiernet.net (raymondj(at)frontiernet.net)>

Bob,

Another thing to consider is what happens if/when the pump fails in
some way.  Is it possible for the electrons to find a path that would
cause a problem?  I don't have an answer, but it seems like another
possible way for bad things to happen.

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

--------------------------- SNIP -----------------------------------

Quote:
   Bob . . .

====================================
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
http://forums.matronics.com
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

At 12:51 PM 7/11/2012, you wrote:
Quote:

Bob,

I was thinking more along the lines of a failure of the electrical
portion of the pump resulting in the pump body being energized and
the electrons moving into the system designed to handle static
charge. Similar to kind of event that the grounding wire in a 3
prong plug is designed to manage.

Grounds for the purpose of creating a safe-path
for internal ground faults within a device
are not expected to carry any great amount of
current for long nor does the voltage during
fault clearance time exceed that of the system . .
I presume you have a 12vdc pump.

Grounding of two "capacitors" (vehicle and airplane)
to each other to prevent a difference in potential
at the filler cap between nozzle and cap rim should
be independent of and ground system provided for
electrical fault clearance inside the pump motor.
Single-point grounds for airplane and pump system might
be the fuel truck chassis or even a grounding lug
on the ramp (we had them all over the floor in the
Experimental Flight Test Hangar) but you'd want
to avoid daisy-chaining grounds.

If the pump has been approved for fuel transfers
then seals between fluid path and motor internals
are pretty good . . . if non-existent (magnetic
drive). The motor itself is probably qualified to
high levels of explosion proof-ness (will totally
contain products of combustion even if a stoichiometric
mixture should become ignited within).

The difference in voltage to be bled off is in the
gap between fuel nozzle and the tank opening. This
is best handled by a ground wire between these two
points secured before the fuel tank is uncapped.
The same ground is not removed before the cap is
replaced and any spills wiped up. Nothing more exotic
is necessary or useful. If it's a plastic airplane,
then no 'grounding' is possible or necessary.

This is an electro-static argument between your fuel
delivery exit point and fuel tank entrance. That's where
the oxygen-fuel source resides and where the ignition
source must be prevented. All else is immaterial.

Bob . . .

bobnoffs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

soooooooooooo  my tanks are grounded to my engine. am i safe to attach a wire from my fuel nozzle to my exhaust pipe or does the wire need to go to the tank filler neck? [that doesn't make sense to me]
  bob noffs

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)>

At 12:51 PM 7/11/2012, you wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: rayj <raymondj(at)frontiernet.net (raymondj(at)frontiernet.net)>

Bob,

I was thinking more along the lines of a failure of the electrical portion of the pump resulting in the pump body being energized and the electrons moving into the system designed to handle static charge. Similar to kind of event that the grounding wire in a 3 prong plug is designed to manage.

Grounds for the purpose of creating a safe-path
   for internal ground faults within a device
   are not expected to carry any great amount of
   current for long nor does the voltage during
   fault clearance time exceed that of the system . .
   I presume you have a 12vdc pump.

Grounding of two "capacitors" (vehicle and airplane)
   to each other to prevent a difference in potential
   at the filler cap between nozzle and cap rim should
   be independent of and ground system provided for
   electrical fault clearance inside the pump motor.
   Single-point grounds for airplane and pump system might
   be the fuel truck chassis or even a grounding lug
   on the ramp (we had them all over the floor in the
   Experimental Flight Test Hangar) but you'd want
   to avoid daisy-chaining grounds.

If the pump has been approved for fuel transfers
   then seals between fluid path and motor internals
   are pretty good . . . if non-existent (magnetic
   drive). The motor itself is probably qualified to
   high levels of explosion proof-ness (will totally
   contain products of combustion even if a stoichiometric
   mixture should become ignited within).

The difference in voltage to be bled off is in the
   gap between fuel nozzle and the tank opening. This
   is best handled by a ground wire between these two
   points secured before the fuel tank is uncapped.
   The same ground is not removed before the cap is
   replaced and any spills wiped up. Nothing more exotic
   is necessary or useful. If it's a plastic airplane,
   then no 'grounding' is possible or necessary.

This is an electro-static argument between your fuel
   delivery exit point and fuel tank entrance. That's where
   the oxygen-fuel source resides and where the ignition
   source must be prevented. All else is immaterial.

Bob . . .

-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
http://forums.matronics.com
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

toddheffley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: grounding procedures Reply with quote

I was always doubted the importance of using a metal funnel until I fueled our champ on a dry day with a large plastic funnel. I was standing in the tire so I was also insulated. A charge built up strong enough to attract the hair on my arm to stand up toward the cowl. No Harm, No Foul. It was a warning to alter my behaviour before a really bad indecent occurred.

todd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

At 08:46 PM 7/11/2012, you wrote:
Quote:
soooooooooooo my tanks are grounded to my engine. am i safe to attach a wire from my fuel nozzle to my exhaust pipe or does the wire need to go to the tank filler neck? [that doesn't make sense to me]
bob noffs

The word "grounded" is poorly understood and
in this discussion poorly used. As we've studied
in other conversations, having "lots of grounds"
can be deleterious to system performance in terms
of noised conducted from one system to another.

This static charge thing, like most studies of
physics is an energy management issue. We have
an energy source (motion between dissimilar
materials in close proximity), energy storage
(capacitance - proportional to surface area
of mass carrying a charge), potential pathways
for the two masses to exchange levels of charge,
series resistance of those pathways, and finally
open air gaps in the discharge path were a spark
might form that is surrounded by a flammable mixture.

The legacy hazard from which all these discussions
arise are grounded in the management of charges
stored on LARGE surface areas (air transport/military
aircraft and fuel trucks or underground fueling
systems. BIG numbers in terms of potential energy
to be released in that worrisome air-gap.

I'll refer readers to a couple of documents I've
posted to Aeroelectric.com at

http://tinyurl.com/7et4jj5

These two documents speak to 'modeling' the human
body for the purposes of carrying out standardized
tests for ESD vulnerability. Given the surface
area of adult humans to be on the order of 1.5 to
2 square meters, they are 'modeled' as 100 picofarad
capacitors. Further the ability to conduct a charge
off that 'capacitor' is limited by the average
conductivity of the body between the center of charge
and a discharge point (finger tip) which is modeled
with a 1500 ohm resistor. Now, charge the capacitor up
to various voltages up to 15,000 volts and you have
a repeatable means for generating antagonistic stresses
on some device to be tested for ESD immunity.

The machine model is similar but 200 picofarads and
1 ohm of series resistance. I.e., more surface area
and better conductivity.

Now, what might we think the model would be for a
B-747? LOTS of surface area and metallic structure
which provides very low series resistance. Static
charges between large masses can knock you on your
can.

Getting back to filling puddle jumpers from gas
cans or even fuel trucks . . .

The model for a plastic airplane might consider
a surface area on the order of 1000 picofarads
but what's the series resistance? It's an insulator
with hing series resistance. In my studies
with ESD testing I discovered that the WORST case
instances for testing to human body model (15KV)
VERY LITTLE of the potential energy was dissipated
at the victim . . . that 1500 ohm resistor dissipates
90 plus % of the energy. When dealing with things
like metal airplanes and fuel trucks, the machine
models are in force with something on the order of 1000-2000
pf each and VERY LOW series resistance. Connecting
them together before dragging out the hose MAY
NOT dissipate all their charges to zero . . . but it does
bring them TOGETHER in terms of voltage thus ELIMINATING
a potential of spark through a low series resistance.

I forget the structure of the airplane that started
this discussion but I think we were talking about a
non-conductive hose fitted to a fuel transfer pump.
In this instance, ADDING a low series resistance
conductor along the hose length only increases potential
for energy dissipation in a spark at the end of the
hose. Bringing a potential charge on the airplane and
fuel storage containers together is 99.9% of the
safety issue. Having a very large series resistance
in the potential ignition discharge path is another
risk mitigation move.

I've been reading lengthy discussions about fuel
transfer safety on OBAM aircraft for decades sprinkled
with hangar tales and speculative advice . . .
but never have I seen a study of the physics that
underlie the potential for an ignition accident.

Just consider the millions of cars that get fueled
by ding-a-ling drivers every day without blowing
themselves up. Yes, there are the expected 'news'
stories and security camera videos about the
occasional filling station fire. Shucks even the
Mytbusters made a show out of the notion that cell
phones can trigger explosions or fire.

But even the hallowed Mythbusters failed to
mention the physics . . . much less consider how
HARD it is to initiate an explosion under laboratory
conditions (re: explosion proofing tests on motors
we used to build at Electro-Mech).

Bottom line is that if you don't have a means to
bring the surface charge of a container to the same potential
as the surface of your airplane, then the SAME limitation
is in force for causing a spark at the opening of your
filler cap. I.e. if you can't get a spark at the connection
of a potential equalization wire at the exhaust stack of
your engine, you won't get a spark at the filler cap
either. Potentials generated by flowing fuel are
similarly limited in their ability to conduct the
charge to a 'arc gap'. Consider that the fuel
is in constant motion so any charge the liquid carries
is being continuously dumped into the tank . . .
Where is the 'conductor' that's going to bring
that charge to an arc gap? Flammable hydrocarbons
heavier than gasolines are used as medium for
cooling and INSULATOR in high voltage transformers and
capacitors.

Where does the energy come from, where is it stored,
what is the potential equalization path, what is
the series resistance of that path, is it possible
or even NECESSARY to effect an equalization of
potentials at some point AWAY from the filler cap?

Bottom line is that using the same care you would
exercise in filling your car, boat or lawn mower will
suffice to secure your healthy use of that machine.
Adding prophylactic features willy-nilly without
understanding the physics and design goals may
increase risk as opposed to reducing it. If the
truth were known as to root cause for the anecdotal
fuel transfer fires, most if not all would be due
to carelessness.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: grounding procedures Reply with quote

At 04:44 AM 7/12/2012, you wrote:
Quote:

<public(at)toddheffley.com>

I was always doubted the importance of using a metal funnel until I
fueled our champ on a dry day with a large plastic funnel. I was
standing in the tire so I was also insulated. A charge built up
strong enough to attract the hair on my arm to stand up toward the
cowl. No Harm, No Foul. It was a warning to alter my behaviour
before a really bad indecent occurred.

todd

Sure, while funnels provide a handy tool for control
of the flow of liquid, they add a piece of 'loose gear'
to the mix and expose a the surface of liquid flow
to the air (and funnel surface). The former increases
local concentration of hazardous vapor, the later increases
potential for building an electro-static charge (motion
of dissimilar materials in close proximity). Your body
became yet another surface on which generated charges
could collect. A hair-raising experience both literally
and for consideration of increased risk.

99.999+ of fuel transfers in the world are effected with
a nozzle extend into the fuel storage system. Most are
metallic and in contact with each other. The only
thing you can do to IMPROVE on this combination would
be to close the liquid motion off from the air and
potential for spillage by using some feature like I
suggested yesterday.

As a general rule, I would avoid the use of funnels.
Yeah, Lindbergh used 'em . . . even lined the funnel
with a chamois to absorb water. We don't read much
about aviators of yor setting themselves on fire
during a fueling accident but the risks were demonstrably
great.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: