Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

glide ratio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pipercolt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: glide ratio Reply with quote

Does anyone know or has anyone seen the glide, or lack of ,ratio on a Mark 111 Classic.
Thanks
Bob

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
rickofudall

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: glide ratio Reply with quote

Bob, Yes, I've seen, and experienced it, too.When the fuel line to the 582 on my Mk IIIC got plugged while departing from Augusta airport three years ago I got a good view of engine off, prop stopped glide ratio of the airplane. I would estimate it's about 5 or 6 to 1. From 1000 feet on down wind I had enough glide to make one attempt at a restart, make a 90 degree turn, glide to the runway, make a second turn a little early so as not to be directly in the path of the moron in the Beech Baron departing opposite to everyone else that afternoon (gotta love uncontrolled airports), a small "S" turn to get back on the runway centerline (and miss the Aeronca that had ground looped off the runway earlier), flare, land and start breathing again.

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM, pipercolt <bob.pipercolt(at)yahoo.com (bob.pipercolt(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "pipercolt" <bob.pipercolt(at)yahoo.com (bob.pipercolt(at)yahoo.com)>

Does anyone know or has anyone seen the glide, or lack of ,ratio on a Mark 111 Classic.
Thanks
Bob

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=383827#383827

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: glide ratio Reply with quote

I would estimate it's about 5 or 6 to 1. >>

Hi Richard,
I think that is being a bit unkind. At 6 to 1 your 1000ft translates to 6000ft over the ground and at (say) 50 mph that would give you about 90 seconds flying time.
No doubt in the situation you were in it didn`t seem as long as that and you were ducking and diving round obstacles etc and not flying accurately.
I should suggest that flying in a straight line at best speed which is what the glide angle is usually derived from, the glide angle is probably twice your figure.
The best speed to fly of course depends on what you want to achieve. Longest flying time or greatest distance covered. They are not the same.

Of course if there was a proper L/D graph you could read those figures off with no trouble. Maybe New Kolb has such a thing but don`t bet on it.

Pat
[quote][b]

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: glide ratio Reply with quote

A MkIII with its longer wing probably has a better glide ratio than my Slingshot.

After becoming comfortable with any airplane I fly regularly I like to go to altitude over a relatively long runway to test its engine off glide. Doing this with my Slingshot resulted in 1,100 fpm descent at best glide speed of 55 mph. That is 4.4 to 1 glide ratio. Anyone who assumes that the idle power glide is a good simulation of power off glide will be in for a rude awakening when the prop stops. At idle power, my descent rate at 55 mph is about 700-800 fpm vs 1,100 fpm with prop stopped.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: glide ratio Reply with quote

That is 4.4 to 1 glide ratio>>

Wow! That stopped prop is a very effective brake.

The only plane I have seen with a worse glide angle was a Dagling. This was
a British copy of a German Zogling and consisted of a single beam with a
seat bolted on one end and a tail on the t`other. There was a slabshaped
high lift wing on a pylon , to which the pilot was strapped.. It was
designed for Primary gliding training, learning to balance the plane in a
wind and Oh Joy finally to get a couple of feet in the air, if you were
lucky, in a downhill slide or a short bungee hop.
My gliding club bought a Dagling in a fit of stupidity (I still have £5
invested in it where ever it is ) and our Chief gliding Instructor decided
to fly it up the normal wire launch. It was the only glider which I have
ever seen launched which beat the parachute on the end of the launch cable
back to the ground..It was never flown again.

Pat

EricS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: glide ratio Reply with quote

Thom Riddle wrote:
A MkIII with its longer wing probably has a better glide ratio than my Slingshot.

After becoming comfortable with any airplane I fly regularly I like to go to altitude over a relatively long runway to test its engine off glide. Doing this with my Slingshot resulted in 1,100 fpm descent at best glide speed of 55 mph. That is 4.4 to 1 glide ratio. Anyone who assumes that the idle power glide is a good simulation of power off glide will be in for a rude awakening when the prop stops. At idle power, my descent rate at 55 mph is about 700-800 fpm vs 1,100 fpm with prop stopped.

My numbers are exactly the same in my Firestar II gliding from 7,000 ft. down to 6,000 ft. If it happens unexpectedly I plan to get the nose down, land straight ahead or nearly so and sacrifice the plane. Especially since I love to fly low. Sometimes I have to climb to cross power lines!

Eric

wakataka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: glide ratio Reply with quote

I measured the glide ratio of my original Firestar at this morning by shutting down the engine at 400 feet agl on final and measuring the distance to touchdown on Google Earth. I traveled 2500 feet with a 400 feet drop. It's just slightly better than 6 to1. Airspeed was about 40 mph, which is seems to be close to best L/D from what I can tell. The airplane was near max gross weight (550#). It has a center section cover and streamlined lift stuts, which helps improve the glide somewhat. Still, I wouldn't recommend a Kolb for a soaring contest.

Mark Twain
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: glide ratio Reply with quote

Waktaka,

Curious about your technique, so I have a couple questions and comments.

Did you stop the engine when you were flying at 40 mph or at a higher speed? If it was at a higher speed then your glide ratio was actually less than what you calculated because reducing the airspeed to 40 from whatever faster speed reduced your sink rate during that speed reduction. Also, once in ground effect, the glide ratio improves. This is why to get more accurate numbers one should start the engine off glide at the presumed best glide speed and time the loss of altitude while well above ground effect.

Just my 2 cents.

- Anonymous
Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: glide ratio Reply with quote

Kolbers,
I guess this information on glide ratios makes for good chat-room fodder, but it will do you no good when that prop quits. You aren't going to remember any of it, nor will you have time to calculate it even if you did. You will hopefully end up picking the best looking place to land that you instinctively know you can make, and fly the the plane there. That's what this discussion is really about.
In the two engine outs I had with my old Firestar, I can guarantee you I had no idea what my glide slope was or how it would play into the situation in front of me. I picked a clearing I knew I could make and flew the Kolb to it. One of the best tips I ever read about flying Kolbs was getting used to staying higher on approach and landing with no power most of the time. By doing that regularly when the day comes that you lose power, because of all that practice it's just another landing though with an added rush of adrenalin, a tight sphincter, & unknown runway conditions.

Jimmy Young
former owner of N7043P Kolb Firestar, but lucky enough to still get to fly it.

zaitcev(at)kotori.zaitcev

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: glide ratio Reply with quote

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 04:28:39 -0700
"Jimmy Young" <jdy100(at)comcast.net> wrote:

Quote:
I guess this information on glide ratios makes for good chat-room fodder,
but it will do you no good when that prop quits. You aren't going to
remember any of it, nor will you have time to calculate it even if you did.

I would not be so sure for members with extensive instrument rules
experience. They breath such calculations and usually develop rules
of thumb that allow to estimate ratios quickly.

-- Pete

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: glide ratio Reply with quote

Jimmy,
You are correct, of course, but the whole reason for my post was to let those who have never done a prop-stopped glide they should not count on their idle-power glide to be a good indicator of how far they might be able to glide. Without actual prop-stopped glide experience, you cannot "know" how far you can glide. Once you've had some prop-stopped glide experience, you know to look for a landing place very close to right below you unless you have a lot more AGL altitude than most Kolbers fly at.

The purpose of the numbers was to disabuse those who think they can glide a Kolb forward 700-900 feet for every 100 feet of AGL altitude. It is not going to happen unless you luck into an updraft.

I am now flying a Diamond Katana with long low aspect ratio wings which the factory claims has a 14 to 1 best glide ratio. I don't believe it but have not yet made the opportunity to test it. I will soon and if I get a 10 to 1 best glide ratio with prop stopped, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

- Anonymous
Arty Trost

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: glide ratio Reply with quote

Jimmy -

While you are probably right about glide ratios not doing you much good when the engine quits - I would argue that this discussion is definitely more than "good chat-room fodder".
For me, the whole point is to know what my true glide ratio is with an engine out - so that as I fly I can be looking for realistically attainable landing spots should my engine die. (And I've had this happen a few times.) Knowing how far I can glide alters how and where I fly: my altitude and my route. So I think this is a pretty critical subject.
Arty Trost
Sandy, Oregon

www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com/uladventure2009.htm
"Life's a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller
"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:28 AM
Subject: Re: glide ratio

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jimmy Young" <jdy100(at)comcast.net (jdy100(at)comcast.net)>

Kolbers,
I guess this information on glide ratios makes for good chat-room fodder, but it will do you no good when that prop quits. You aren't going to remember any of it, nor will you have time to calculate it even if you did. You will hopefully end up picking the best looking place to land that you instinctively know you can make, and fly the the plane there. That's what this discussion is really about.
In the two engine outs I had with my old Firestar, I can guarantee you I had no idea what my glide slope was or how it would play into the situation in front of me. I picked a clearing I knew I could make and flew the Kolb to it. One of the best tips I ever read about flying Kolbs was getting used to staying higher on approach and landing with no power most of the time. By doing that regularly when the day comes that you lose power, because of all that practice it's just another landing though with an added rush of adrenalin, a tight sphincter, & unknown runway conditions.

Jimmy Young
former owner of N7043P Kolb Firestar, but lucky enough to still get to fly it.

http://forums.matronittp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List" - List Contribution Web Site -

wakataka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: glide ratio Reply with quote

I agree that knowing the numerical value of your glide ratio is not going to do you a lot of good when the engine quits. The best way to get a feel for the glide ratio and handling qualities of your craft is to practice engine off landings. It gives you the mental picture of how far you can glide, and it also gives you practice landing without power. I encourage anyone flying with 2-stroke or any non-certificated aircraft engine to occasionally kill the engine on base or final, once you know you've got the runway in range. Get some practice flying your airplane as a glider before you have an engine out. Practice side slips and S-turns to lose altitude experiment to find your best L/D speed. The experience you gain will make you a safer pilot and the confidence that you can land safely if the engine quits will make flying more fun. Plus it's really nice and peaceful up there without the noise and vibration.

Mark Twain
Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: glide ratio Reply with quote

To Arty, Thom,and all other Kolb lovers,

I need to apologize for my"chat-room fodder" comment. It was out of place and inaccurate relative to the discussion taking place. I was still waiting on the coffee to brew, & I can get a little short under those conditions.

I'm simply more of a "feel" flyer when it comes to awareness of the situation at hand. I know what altitude I'm at, what my airspeed is, how the engine temps are doing, and how much fuel I've got on board at any point of any flight. But when it comes to making mental notes of where I can put down in an emergency, I always have an off-field option spot picked out as we all should. I could not accurately tell you how far away it is from me in feet, but I know instinctively I can make it without knowing what my glide slope is or running calculations in my head.

I haven't been flying long, a little over 5 years now & 95% of that was in the Firestar. I made some stupid choices early on that by the grace of God I got away with it, but learned from the events enough to not do it again. I have zero GA experience short of flying in a Cessna 140 & 150 occasionally, so I can see why I discount glide slope numbers. Let's just all agree that flying safe & smart is the way to fly a long time, and we should do it in the way that works best for each of us.

Safe flying,

Jimmy Young
still a lucky guy who gets to fly a Kolb, just not the owner anymore.

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: glide ratio Reply with quote

Jimmy,   I had forgotten what a nice guy, and how polite you are. Smile When a subject comes up again and again with no resolution, it qualifies for CRF . For instance the question of whether a spinning prop slows you more than a stopped prop is still a question. Your email prompted John and I to contemplate that same premise today. He thinks that a spinning prop slows more than no power at all. I of course disagree. I can't get him to fly my plane and try it, and of course he won't believe it until he does try it himself. If I do it he will deep down think that I didn't do it right Smile 

I have had two engine outs, and done a few of them on a voluntary basis. (Safe conditions, and I knew it, so the stress levels were greatly reduced.)  I know that the last one that Arty had, caused the same result that occurred to me on my last one. While you may think at the time that you have every thing under control, in truth if the terrain is hostile, you couldn't pour P out of a boot with the instructions on the heel. The little person inside your brain flips a switch and you go to auto pilot. When you are on the ground, assuming you survive, you will find quite a few things that you could have done better.  Invariably when your engine decides to quit it will be in the worst place possible, or a ratio resembling, whether your bread falls butter side down or not.

Practice definitely helps and is much better than not at all, however I bet there are a few who think that doing it at idle power will give the same results as doing it with no power. 
I agree that this subject is very important, I just disagree that anyone will do it any other way than the hard one.
Larry
On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Jimmy Young <jdy100(at)comcast.net (jdy100(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jimmy Young" <jdy100(at)comcast.net (jdy100(at)comcast.net)>

I need to apologize for my"chat-room fodder" comment. It was out of place and inaccurate relative to the discussion taking place. I was still waiting on the coffee to brew, & I can get a little short under those conditions.

I'm simply more of a "feel" flyer when it comes to awareness of the situation at hand. I know what altitude I'm at, what my airspeed is, how the engine temps are doing, and how much fuel I've got on board at any point of any flight. But when it comes to making mental notes of where I can put down in an emergency, I always have an off-field option spot picked out as we all should. I could not accurately tell you how far away it is from me in feet, but I know instinctively I can make it without knowing what my glide slope is or running calculations in my head.

I haven't been flying long, a little over 5 years now & 95% of that was in the Firestar. I made some stupid choices early on that by the grace of God I got away with it, but learned from the events enough to not do it again. I have zero GA experience short of flying in a Cessna 140 & 150 occasionally, so I can see why I discount glide slope numbers. Let's just all agree that flying safe & smart is the way to fly a long time, and we should do it in the way that works best for each of us.

Safe flying,

Jimmy Young

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=384338#384338

===========
===========
===========
le, List Admin.
===========

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: glide ratio Reply with quote

Hi all.

I couldn't resist my $.02 worth.
I had a plan for a engine out so that when it happened I just fell into the plan. My theory was that unpowered flight in my MKIIIC with flaps raised would be just like one notch of flaps with just a touch of power. It turned out that it was very close. My normal approach for landing is one notch of flaps and maybe 5-10% power. The nice thing is that when the unexpected happens you don't have to dig out the calculator or anything else. Your glide ratio will be about the same as you practice with every landing.

To fine tune your landing spot grab your flaps and lower them as necessary to hit the best landing spot. It might be good to practice dropping and raising flaps on approach. Just remember add flaps, drop the nose, reduce flaps, raise the nose. Do this a few times while keeping your airspeed the same. When you get all set up for touch down raise the flaps. Your round out will again be the same as you have always done with few exceptions. With flaps up you will be able to get the tail wheel down first. This worked out real well for me because I was landing in a bean field and the tail wheel acted like a aircraft carrier tail hook. I rolled about 5 foot without even a nose over.

This may not work as well for everyone but it did for me. Also worth what you paid for it
Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Jimmy Young <jdy100(at)comcast.net (jdy100(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jimmy Young" <jdy100(at)comcast.net (jdy100(at)comcast.net)>

Safe flying,

Jimmy Young

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=384338#384338

===========
===========
===========
le, List Admin.
===========

[b]

mark.shimei(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Glide ratio Reply with quote

Well...I had to try it again.actually,for the 38th time....  Ultrastar,Cuyuna,3 blade ultraprop.   2000',plane was set up to glide engine off at 2100' and clock started as I passed 2000'. 5 minutes,30 seconds later I touched down,didnt hit any thermals that I could feel.  The gps odometer showed 3.1 miles,about 16000'.....that makes 8 to 1 glide.

I wouldnt use that for any emergency,only the amount of time I have after the fire goes out,making the altimeter a time to impact device.  My glide speed is 35mph,and with the 12mph headwind that day,I wouldnt go very far foward. Depending on the rpm, the windmilling prop can cut that time by a third.

If there are those who dont think a windmilling prop slows a plane,then how does a gyrocopter fly? Stop the blade,see how fast it goes.....down.

If your idle speed=pitch speed at your glide ratio,then the spinning prop will not make much difference. The US isnt a good glider(I have thermalled it at idle for 15 minutes),So my glide or thermal speed must have been a little slower than the pitch speed.

The Firefly as bad or worse than a brick when the throttle is below 3000rpm. Falls from the sky.

I have an r/c plane which is like the the kolb in flying characteristics, at lower rpms you can spot land it,unless I flare too high. then its re-bend the landing gear back again.  Mark
[quote][b]

undoctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Glide ratio Reply with quote

Kolbers,

In all this discussion about glide ratios and trying to figure if you can make it to an emergency landing site, there's a technique I was taught and had to use shortly after I bought my US in about '92 when I was brand new at flying. I was flying merrily about when suddenly the Cuyuna shut down. I could hear the engine turning and thought maybe the throttle cable disconnected and the engine was idling, so the first thing i did was to move the throttle on and off. Doing so I could hear the carb opening and closing - you know, that pulsing, sucking sound you hear on your hot rod when you punch the throttle with the air cleaner off - but no power. Knowing the engine was off, the next thing I did was look for a site to land. Spotted the sports fields at Pennfield Middle School and turned toward it.

I didn't know how far away it was (about 2.5 miles), or how high I was (no altimeter), but I knew I could make it there without doing a single calculation. When you fly, anything that passes under the nose of your aircraft you will fly beyond, and any point that remains above the nose of your aircraft you will land before. Again, I was just a couple of months into flying, but I simply lowered the nose so that the sports fields stayed at the point neither above nor below the nose, and my speed was simply a result of the angle of descent necessary to reach the ground at the point I was aiming for.

I'm sure most of you realize this, so isn't this the best way to know if you can make it to an emergency site or not? Doesn't matter about density altitude, head wind, tail wind, whatever, it'll get you there.

If I'd had the opportunity to practice dead sticks I'd probably would have been able to pitch up a bit, fly more slowly and make it another mile or so to the strip where I hangared the US, but another thing I was taught as a newbie was when you pick your spot, don't change your mind unless you see a big reason to do so, such as a fence, etc. So at that chapter in my flying my only concern was trying to land safely - period.

Comments?

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

On 10/2/2012 9:34 PM, Mark Shimei wrote:

[quote]Well...I had to try it again.actually,for the 38th time.... Ultrastar,Cuyuna,3 blade ultraprop. 2000',plane was set up to glide engine off at 2100' and clock started as I passed 2000'. 5 minutes,30 seconds later I touched down,didnt hit any thermals that I could feel. The gps odometer showed 3.1 miles,about 16000'.....that makes 8 to 1 glide.

I wouldnt use that for any emergency,only the amount of time I have after the fire goes out,making the altimeter a time to impact device. My glide speed is 35mph,and with the 12mph headwind that day,I wouldnt go very far foward. Depending on the rpm, the windmilling prop can cut that time by a third.

If there are those who dont think a windmilling prop slows a plane,then how does a gyrocopter fly? Stop the blade,see how fast it goes.....down.

If your idle speed=pitch speed at your glide ratio,then the spinning prop will not make much difference. The US isnt a good glider(I have thermalled it at idle for 15 minutes),So my glide or thermal speed must have been a little slower than the pitch speed.

The Firefly as bad or worse than a brick when the throttle is below 3000rpm. Falls from the sky.

I have an r/c plane which is like the the kolb in flying characteristics, at lower rpms you can spot land it,unless I flare too high. then its re-bend the landing gear back again. Mark
Quote:

[b]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Glide ratio Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

I always thought that the blades on a Gyro were there to perform the same function as a wing? I am also puzzled by a prop on a kolb that will windmill with the engine turned off. I could never get any of mine, 447,503, HKS to ever do any more than an ocassional rotation at the speeds that I was traveling with the engine off. Perhaps you should think about checking the compression on your engine.

I remember once of trying a restart by diving, but could never manage it.
Larry 
[quote][b]

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: glide ratio Reply with quote

David,

I think you've hit the nail right on the head. Everyone posting here should read or reread the classic Stick & Rudder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stick_and_Rudder

Stick_and_Rudder_(book_cover_art).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.45 KB
 Viewed:  17947 Time(s)

Stick_and_Rudder_(book_cover_art).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: