Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N312F Bird Strike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Combs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

N312F had an encounter with a vulture today.  The pilot flew some 30 miles back to Lexington Airport and landed safely.   Only one person on board.  The bird did not survive the encounter with either the windshield or the rear bulkhead.  The pilot had minor injuries but was able return and land safely.

The entire front windshield is shattered.  The bird went down the top center of the cabin and impacted the top rear baggage bulkhead at a high rate of speed. 

N312F is down for repairs. 

Jim C

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

DSCN0571s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  441.37 KB
 Viewed:  14445 Time(s)

DSCN0571s.jpg

DSCN0570s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  521.78 KB

DSCN0570s.jpg

DSCN0566s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  406.55 KB

DSCN0566s.jpg

DSCN0565s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  434.23 KB

DSCN0565s.jpg

RVflyHI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Wow. Love our rv-10 center posts. Glad he could return.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 28, 2013, at 15:19, Jim Combs <jiminlexky(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
N312F had an encounter with a vulture today. The pilot flew some 30 miles back to Lexington Airport and landed safely. Only one person on board. The bird did not survive the encounter with either the windshield or the rear bulkhead. The pilot had minor injuries but was able return and land safely.

The entire front windshield is shattered. The bird went down the top center of the cabin and impacted the top rear baggage bulkhead at a high rate of speed.

Jim C

<DSCN0571s.jpg>
<DSCN0570s.jpg>
<DSCN0566s.jpg>
<DSCN0565s.jpg>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rv10pro(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Our fleet of airliners gets its share of bird strikes and lightning strikes.  Not a repair skill you want to rely on.  Glad no injuries.

We went with a Pulselight module on the landing lights.  The company joke is they only work HEAD ON.  If you are overtaking the bird while descending to landing, the poor bird has poor peripheral vision and suffers.  We have encountered bent wing spars, Incapacitated crewmember from temporary blindness and lots of damage.  Will gladly share pictures and recommendation on what can be done to improve survivability.

John Cox, 40600

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM, PlaneAround,LLC <strasnuts(at)gmail.com (strasnuts(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: "PlaneAround,LLC" <strasnuts(at)gmail.com (strasnuts(at)gmail.com)>

Wow. Love our rv-10 center posts. Glad he could return.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 28, 2013, at 15:19, Jim Combs <jiminlexky(at)gmail.com (jiminlexky(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

> N312F had an encounter with a vulture today.  The pilot flew some 30 miles back to Lexington Airport and landed safely.   Only one person on board.  The bird did not survive the encounter with either the windshield or the rear bulkhead.  The pilot had minor injuries but was able return and land safely.
>
> The entire front windshield is shattered.  The bird went down the top center of the cabin and impacted the top rear baggage bulkhead at a high rate of speed.
>
> N312F is down for repairs.
>
> Jim C
>
>
>
>

Quote:
<DSCN0571s.jpg>
> <DSCN0570s.jpg>

> <DSCN0566s.jpg>
> <DSCN0565s.jpg>

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

What a horror! This would make me cry after landing. Glad there are no injuries to humans.

do not archive.

On Sep 28, 2013, at 5:19 PM, Jim Combs <jiminlexky(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
N312F had an encounter with a vulture today. The pilot flew some 30 miles back to Lexington Airport and landed safely. Only one person on board. The bird did not survive the encounter with either the windshield or the rear bulkhead. The pilot had minor injuries but was able return and land safely.

The entire front windshield is shattered. The bird went down the top center of the cabin and impacted the top rear baggage bulkhead at a high rate of speed.

Jim C

<DSCN0571s.jpg><DSCN0570s.jpg><DSCN0566s.jpg><DSCN0565s.jpg>

cooprv7(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Most unfortunate event, but I'm impressed you, or whoever the pilot was, maintained composure and handled the situation wonderfully. Great job flying the airplane first and dealing with other issues later!

Marcus

do not archive
On Sep 28, 2013, at 5:19 PM, Jim Combs <jiminlexky(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Jim C

<DSCN0571s.jpg><DSCN0570s.jpg><DSCN0566s.jpg><DSCN0565s.jpg>

karolamy(at)roadrunner.co

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Wow, BIG BIRD! How about, "an almost frozen turkey"! Compliments to the pilot, if that was you, Jim, for maintaining composure and getting her down safely. I feel for you having to do another windshield and paint.
Man, that thing even bent the center post. Did the pilot get his/her headset and glasses knocked off too? Hopefully not too many war wounds for the pilot???
Rich Hansen

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

What altitude was the plane at?
Did the pilot have a chance to duck?

rv10flyer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

I am glad pilot and plane made it back safely. It looks like it took out left door strut too...right above pilot's head. Wow! Was pilot wearing glasses? What airspeed and altitude?

Jim Combs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Quick update,
I was not flying the airplane.  We have several people who regularly fly the airplane.

This was a VFR afternoon flight with only the pilot on board.  I did get a chance to talk to him late yesterday, after spending some time

taking off the rear bulkhead covers for cleaning and inspection.  The bird was a Turkey Vulture.  Its a large bird.  He spotted the bird and

tried to avoid it but with no success.  He was close to 150Kts at 3000 (2000 AGL) and some 60 miles south of KLEX airport (Home Base)

The impact with the bird / windshield broke his glasses and headset as well.  I believe the rear door strut breakage was caused by the pilots head. 
The bird appeared to have traveled down along the center of the cabin top inside the cabin just right of the center support and impacted the rear
baggage bulkhead.  Pieces of the windshield were found in seats and floor areas including the baggage area.  Pieces range from 2" up to 6". 
All were very sharp. There is no evidence of any impact forward of the windshield or with any other parts of the aircraft.

The pilot engaged the AP at that point and realized his headset was broken and managed to retrieve a second headset from one of the rear seats.

One of the lenses from his glasses were in the floor of the co-pilot side of the aircraft.  At that point he declared an emergency and proceeded
back to Lexington at a reduced speed (Approx 100Kts).  He requested medical support which arrived as he taxiing off the runway.  The FBO at
Lexington towed the airplane back to our hanger.  By the time I arrived, the airplane was sitting in the hanger and pilot was at the emergency
room waiting for stitches.  The pilot said the aircraft flew fine but was a bit more noisy and windy than usual.

Coming back to a towered airport with ATC actually was a good thing at this point.  They were waiting and assisted his exit from the aircraft

The pilot did have injuries but is expected to have a full recovery.  The airplane will need repairs. 
Two things to be noted from all this: 
(1) - AVOID Birds!  They are the equivalent of rocks in the sky.

(2) - Fly the airplane!  The pilot did a great job of flying the airplane and using the AP in the emergency.    
The bird did not survive the incident.  I am still trying to get pics from the airport operations folks.  They took the bird from the airplane.

Jim Combs - N312F - 500+ hours

Do Not Archive
On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Karol Hansen <karolamy(at)roadrunner.com (karolamy(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: Karol Hansen <karolamy(at)roadrunner.com (karolamy(at)roadrunner.com)>

Wow, BIG BIRD!  How about, "an almost frozen turkey"!   Compliments to the pilot, if that was you,  Jim, for maintaining composure and getting her down safely.  I feel for you having to do another windshield and paint.
Man, that thing even bent the center post.  Did the pilot get his/her headset and glasses knocked off too?  Hopefully not too many war wounds for the pilot???

Rich Hansen

===========
===========
===========
le, List Admin.
===========

[b]

rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Great hear in the end the plane landed and th pilot flew the airplane.
As far as repairs, I encourage you get the replacement windscreen from Cee baileys. http://www.vansaircrafttires.com/products/Cee-Baileys-RV%252d10-Windshield.html . It will be an easier replacement without major shaping required. This is not as a sale pitch, but to hopefully get the plane repaired sooner for you and your partners.
Glad the pilot will be okay and the plane can always be repaired.
Thank you for the update.

Quote:
On Sep 30, 2013, at 8:02 AM, "Jim Combs" <jiminlexky(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quick update,

I was not flying the airplane. We have several people who regularly fly the airplane.
This was a VFR afternoon flight with only the pilot on board. I did get a chance to talk to him late yesterday, after spending some time
taking off the rear bulkhead covers for cleaning and inspection. The bird was a Turkey Vulture. Its a large bird. He spotted the bird and
tried to avoid it but with no success. He was close to 150Kts at 3000 (2000 AGL) and some 60 miles south of KLEX airport (Home Base)

The impact with the bird / windshield broke his glasses and headset as well. I believe the rear door strut breakage was caused by the pilots head.
The bird appeared to have traveled down along the center of the cabin top inside the cabin just right of the center support and impacted the rear
baggage bulkhead. Pieces of the windshield were found in seats and floor areas including the baggage area. Pieces range from 2" up to 6".
All were very sharp. There is no evidence of any impact forward of the windshield or with any other parts of the aircraft.

The pilot engaged the AP at that point and realized his headset was broken and managed to retrieve a second headset from one of the rear seats.
One of the lenses from his glasses were in the floor of the co-pilot side of the aircraft. At that point he declared an emergency and proceeded
back to Lexington at a reduced speed (Approx 100Kts). He requested medical support which arrived as he taxiing off the runway. The FBO at
Lexington towed the airplane back to our hanger. By the time I arrived, the airplane was sitting in the hanger and pilot was at the emergency
room waiting for stitches. The pilot said the aircraft flew fine but was a bit more noisy and windy than usual.

Coming back to a towered airport with ATC actually was a good thing at this point. They were waiting and assisted his exit from the aircraft
The pilot did have injuries but is expected to have a full recovery. The airplane will need repairs.

(1) - AVOID Birds! They are the equivalent of rocks in the sky.

(2) - Fly the airplane! The pilot did a great job of flying the airplane and using the AP in the emergency.

The bird did not survive the incident. I am still trying to get pics from the airport operations folks. They took the bird from the airplane.

Do Not Archive

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Karol Hansen <karolamy(at)roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
> Wow, BIG BIRD! How about, "an almost frozen turkey"! Compliments to the pilot, if that was you, Jim, for maintaining composure and getting her down safely. I feel for you having to do another windshield and paint.
> Man, that thing even bent the center post. Did the pilot get his/her headset and glasses knocked off too? Hopefully not too many war wounds for the pilot???
>
>
> Rich Hansen
>
>
>
> ===========
> arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
> ===========
> http://forums.matronics.com
> ===========
> le, List Admin.
> ="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
> ===========

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Quote:

cooprv7(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Great update, still very thankful things turned out so well and good thinking on the pilot's part to get the A/P on while he got composed. I have a suggestion to make, but this is in absolutely no way is intended to second guess how the guy maneuvered to avoid the bird since I don't even know, so no second guessing whatsoever, just a thought based on experience. I had a good friend take one of these birds in a F-16 at 510 knots and 500' AGL, first case of a bird punching through the canopy. It was then we learned the famous frozen chicken test fired from a canon only checked the canopy to 300 knots (we weren't even allowed to fly less then 420 at low altitude). Fortunately he was siting on an ejection seat as he was temporarily blinded and the wind force knocked his hands off of the controls. Years of talking about reacting to birds in small fast airplanes led to two conclusions, birds will always fold their wings and drop when aware of a conflict, and pulling up is the best answer as they generally go down and worst case hopefully you'll hit the bottom of the airplane instead of the canopy. I also know an experience pilot who opted to push forward to go under a bird at low altitude causing LOTS of problems that could have been easily averted. No solution works 100% of the time, but this one is pretty close and at least would be a good game plan reaction until the situation dictates otherwise. Again, I'm very impressed with how the RV-10 pilot handled this situation, I just offer this in case folks haven't given the situation a lot of thought and it's far better to have a plan before the bird shows up at close 12 o'clock instead of trying to decide what to do.

Cheers,
Marcus

On Sep 30, 2013, at 10:57 AM, Jim Combs <jiminlexky(at)gmail.com (jiminlexky(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quick update,
I was not flying the airplane. We have several people who regularly fly the airplane.

This was a VFR afternoon flight with only the pilot on board. I did get a chance to talk to him late yesterday, after spending some time

taking off the rear bulkhead covers for cleaning and inspection. The bird was a Turkey Vulture. Its a large bird. He spotted the bird and

tried to avoid it but with no success. He was close to 150Kts at 3000 (2000 AGL) and some 60 miles south of KLEX airport (Home Base)

The impact with the bird / windshield broke his glasses and headset as well. I believe the rear door strut breakage was caused by the pilots head.
baggage bulkhead. Pieces of the windshield were found in seats and floor areas including the baggage area. Pieces range from 2" up to 6".

One of the lenses from his glasses were in the floor of the co-pilot side of the aircraft. At that point he declared an emergency and proceeded
back to Lexington at a reduced speed (Approx 100Kts). He requested medical support which arrived as he taxiing off the runway. The FBO at
Lexington towed the airplane back to our hanger. By the time I arrived, the airplane was sitting in the hanger and pilot was at the emergency
room waiting for stitches. The pilot said the aircraft flew fine but was a bit more noisy and windy than usual.

Coming back to a towered airport with ATC actually was a good thing at this point. They were waiting and assisted his exit from the aircraft

The pilot did have injuries but is expected to have a full recovery. The airplane will need repairs.
(1) - AVOID Birds! They are the equivalent of rocks in the sky.

(2) - Fly the airplane! The pilot did a great job of flying the airplane and using the AP in the emergency.
The bird did not survive the incident. I am still trying to get pics from the airport operations folks. They took the bird from the airplane.

Do Not Archive
On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Karol Hansen <karolamy(at)roadrunner.com (karolamy(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: Karol Hansen <karolamy(at)roadrunner.com (karolamy(at)roadrunner.com)>

Wow, BIG BIRD! How about, "an almost frozen turkey"! Compliments to the pilot, if that was you, Jim, for maintaining composure and getting her down safely. I feel for you having to do another windshield and paint.
Man, that thing even bent the center post. Did the pilot get his/her headset and glasses knocked off too? Hopefully not too many war wounds for the pilot???

Rich Hansen

===========
===========
===========
le, List Admin.
===========

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

On 9/30/2013 11:31 AM, Marcus Cooper wrote:

Quote:
Years of talking about reacting to birds in small fast airplanes led to two conclusions, birds will always fold their wings and drop when aware of a conflict, and pulling up is the best answer as they generally go down and worst case hopefully you'll hit the bottom of the airplane instead of the canopy. I also know an experience pilot who opted to push forward to go under a bird at low altitude causing LOTS of problems that could have been easily averted. No solution works 100% of the time, but this one is pretty close and at least would be a good game plan reaction until the situation dictates otherwise. Again, I'm very impressed with how the RV-10 pilot handled this situation, I just offer this in case folks haven't given the situation a lot of thought and it's far better to have a plan before the bird shows up at close 12 o'clock instead of trying to decide what to do.
My experience with birds down low in slow movers agrees with your conclusions. I used to do a fair amount of ridge running in gliders; <500' (at) 130-150knots. Lot's of birds down there, especially this time of year during the migration. Years of talking and reading about these conflicts led to the same two conclusions; birds will fold and go down, and pulling up to over them is the best way to avoid them.

More specifically, we would often find ourselves coming up in a bird's sixes and at the same altitude or lower. Lateral deviations with 50'+ of glider wing is sluggish at best. The thing we learned never to do was to attempt going under the bird, even if it was 10' to 20' above you. At near treetop altitudes on the ridge, the bird folds and heads for the tree tops. Absolutely every time. Pulling up was the way to go and one would usually just manage to see the bird fold and split S before the nose covered him up. Some learned the hard way and landed with bloody cockpits.

However, at higher altitudes my experience (and I think the experience of others) was that birds were likely to do just about anything. In slow speed gaggles when sharing the air with them, they just played see and avoid just as we would. If surprised, the same thing. That is, they would just react with some quick move that seemed right to them at the moment.

My personal thinking and plan for action at altitude in an airplane is to quickly react laterally, towards it's tail if possible, and to pull. Pull unless the bird is above me. In any case, given my aircraft and skills, I'm going to go wherever I think the bird won't but it will always be a pull and never a push.

Bill "one goose, one deer, hopefully no more" Watson
[quote][b]

Jim Combs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Someone had suggested an alternative to Vans windshield.  I don't seem to have kept that reply. Could I get that again (Off List - Please).  i am looking for a darker tint.
Thanks, Jim Combs

Do Not Archive
Quote:

[quote][b]

rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Jim;
check PM

Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:34 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: N312F Bird Strike

Someone had suggested an alternative to Vans windshield. I don't seem to have kept that reply. Could I get that again (Off List - Please). i am looking for a darker tint.
Thanks, Jim Combs
Do Not Archive
Quote:

[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

Kellym

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Cee Bailey through Desser Tire website has pre-trimmed RV-10
windshields. Haven't looked into their trim options.

On 10/10/2013 10:34 AM, Jim Combs wrote:
Quote:
Someone had suggested an alternative to Vans windshield. I don't seem
to have kept that reply. Could I get that again (Off List - Please).
i am looking for a darker tint.

Thanks, Jim Combs

Do Not Archive

Jim Combs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

Thanks!
Do Not Archive!
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

Cee Bailey through Desser Tire website has pre-trimmed RV-10 windshields. Haven't looked into their trim options.

Quote:
Someone had suggested an alternative to Vans windshield. I don't seem to have kept that reply. Could I get that again (Off List - Please).  i am looking for a darker tint.

Thanks, Jim Combs

Do Not Archive

====================================
le, List Admin.

[b]

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: N312F Bird Strike Reply with quote

I meant to say I haven't checked their TINT options(not trim). I think it is Pascal that can be credited with working with Cee Bailey to get them to offer the product.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Jim Combs <jiminlexky(at)gmail.com (jiminlexky(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!
Do Not Archive!
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

Cee Bailey through Desser Tire website has pre-trimmed RV-10 windshields. Haven't looked into their trim options.

Quote:
Someone had suggested an alternative to Vans windshield. I don't seem to have kept that reply. Could I get that again (Off List - Please).  i am looking for a darker tint.

Thanks, Jim Combs

Do Not Archive

le, List Admin.

Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--

- sent from the microchip implanted in my forearm

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: