Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MGL Avionics Primary Flight Display ….is anyone using them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: MGL Avionics Primary Flight Display ….is anyone using them Reply with quote

Gidday,
MGL Avionics have been around a while now, and I am wondering if anyone has chosen them over Dynon or GRT, or another EFIS manufacturer of favour who's name escapes me? They have a new 8.5 and 10.4" touchscreen, high resolution display, but I believe brightness is probably the most important thing. I do know that their operating system allows a significant amount of presentation modifying which might suit some builders whilst it can also lead to potential instability problems when compared with a tried and locked down operating system. Any input much appreciated.

Regards
Tony Renshaw

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ploucandco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: MGL Avionics Primary Flight Display �.is anyone using Reply with quote

Tony, I am sure that MGL avionics are making very advanced products. But when I read some comments on forums like this one
http://www.mglavionicsusers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1750
I would be very careful to invest a significant amount on money on these products. Especially if it is the main EFIS of your beloved plane.

From another perspective, when I see the consolidation that is going on in the avionics market for experimental aircrafts, e.g. Dynon invested in advanced flight systems or Garmin came up with a dedicated line of products, it is clear that the market is maturing and smaller players will get acquired or disappear.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

AirEupora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: MGL Avionics Primary Flight Reply with quote

I bought the MGL Voyager about four years ago. It just fits the Europa panel. MGL operates under the idea that each unit can be improved on and the software is being update almost monthly. There is a lot of things it can do and there are a lot of things that have been possible in the future, but it comes with a cost of staying ahead of the curve.

Dynon sell a nice unit, but you are locked in as to what the unit will do.

MGL is introducing new products and improve there older products. MY Voyager started life as a G1 and will soon be undated to a G3. The software has been updated to do many things.

If you want to lock on only one thing then the Dynon is a good match. If you are looking to the future then the MGL units will be what you want, but you have to learn a lot to use the full capacity that they offer.

N6ZY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: MGL Avionics Primary Flight Display �.is anyone using Reply with quote

When I started shopping for an EFIS, I was very tempted by the MGL units. I eventually did not go with them because, although very entrepreneurial, they keep changing the configuration and, worse, let you change it. I do not want to go IFR with a configuration that is not stable and extensively fleet tested. After 20 years in military avionics, I am very keen on configuration management.

You are right, with Dynon, you get what they offer with no changes. I tend to think that they are really aiming at the VFR and LSA market. After an extensive search, I ended up choosing between Advanced Flight Systems and Grand Rapids Technology. AFS costs more, and just got bought out by Dynon, so I am going with GRT.

I had an earlier version of their system, and can vouch for the quality of their products. And Greg, who owns GRT, is open to changes where they are justified. Also he recommends that you do not fly IFR with his latest software until there is extensive fleet experience. They do not get as much publicity, but I think that they currently have the best and most reliable products.

Jerry Fisher

pestar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: MGL Avionics Primary Flight Display �.is anyone using Reply with quote

I have dual Voyagers G2's EFIS, 1 x Xtreme EFIS (endurance bus), 2 x MGL V10 radios and live in NZ. See my avatar

I chose MGL over GRT, AFS and Dynon after visiting Oshkosh 2 years in a row.

Why

I can create and have created my own screens.

The Voyagers EFIS talk to one and another.

I am a datacommunications engineer and am comfortable in this environment.

MGL had an integrated AP before the others which I use with PocketFMS using Trio servos (prior to the MGL servos availability).

We have a very good NZ agent which cannot be said for Dynon, GRT or AFS. There units are good but if they break back to the USA they go.

Apart from debugging which took sometime due to the complex nature of my panel I have had no problems.

I have no round gauges at all, just dual MGL AHRS and dual busses.

Sometimes people who post (referring to the one highlighted) fire off before really thinking about it. Yes I had my frustrations but in time they have all come through.

And lastly I like the upgrade path MGL offer and have taken advantage of it previously and will do so once the G3 becomes available.

OK I will get of my soapbox now, all will do their job very well.

Cheers Peter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: