Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigel(at)yakdisplay.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed Reply with quote

Asking the fount of all yak knowledge....

Pre-take off checks prop cycle check all fine (70% down to 53% three times).
On take-off, prop went to 110% and stayed there.
Moving the prop lever to full course made no difference to RPM.

Reduced power to bring RPM under control, abbreviated circuit and landed.

Have changed to governor - but appears to still be a problem.

Have had the prop off - and checked blades move freely, and oil is returned when blades are rotated.

Drive to governor appears to be ok (rotates when prop is turned).

Problem obviously appears to be when the prop is under load.

Can anyone shed any light, experience of happening before?

Clarification of my understanding would also be useful re what does what - i.e. oil pressure causes fine pitch, weights cause course pitch? In that case, is it a governor drive problem when under load? IS there a weak link in the drive system like the compressor?
Any ideas?

Regards,
Nigel Willson
Flying Instructor/Examiner and Display Pilot

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed Reply with quote

check the clamps that secure the cable housing.

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jan.mevis(at)informavia.b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed Reply with quote

That's a very good advise George. We had recently some RPM problems on our
Yak 52 because of that.
Jan

On 22/07/15 19:47, "George S. Coy" <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com on
behalf of george.coy(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[quote]

--

nigel(at)yakdisplay.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed Reply with quote

Yup, done that. All secure....

Regards,
Nigel Willson
Flying Instructor/Examiner and Display Pilot
--

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed Reply with quote

When we had prop problems we could not figure out, I tapped into the oil line on the nose case and ran a 1/4 in hose to a pressure gauge and taped it to the cowl so I could see what was really happening with the oil pressure during flight. This was years ago when we were messing around with Hoffman props.

George
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 2:07 PM, Jan Mevis <jan.mevis(at)informavia.be (jan.mevis(at)informavia.be)> wrote:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: Jan Mevis <jan.mevis(at)informavia.be (jan.mevis(at)informavia.be)>

Yak 52 because of that.

Jan

On 22/07/15 19:47, "George S. Coy" <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) on
behalf of george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

>--> Yak-List message posted by: "George S. Coy" <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)>
>
>check the clamps that secure the cable housing.
>
>--

trond.sorgard(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed Reply with quote

Hello George
I have had also some problems with my propeller cycling earlier, Moving the prop lever to full course made no difference to RPM with me aswell. 
But this was on the ground testing under run up. 
I also has tapped into my cowl to check oil pressure in certain RPM handle positions. I had 220PSI with RPM handle fully foward.
And 0 PSI approx. when handle in full Course(aft). As it should be.
When the oil gets warm... real warm, then its able to cycle.
After i changed oil it became much better, but still im not happy.the oil needs to be real warm to cycle on ground run up.
And in aerobatic flights its not hundred prosent able to maintain RPM, lets say in a loop.

George, what was the problem in your case? did you find it out?

I have a Hoffman Prop also. I bought my Yak-52W from you and Cliff, from a former airline pilot in Washington. And you shipped it to me in Norway.
Any suggestion and thoughts?
Regards Trond Sørgård
Bergen, Norway.

2015-07-22 20:46 GMT+02:00 George Coy <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)>:
[quote]When we had prop problems we could not figure out, I tapped into the oil line on the nose case and ran a 1/4 in hose to a pressure gauge and taped it to the cowl so I could see what was really happening with the oil pressure during flight. This was years ago when we were messing around with Hoffman props.

George
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 2:07 PM, Jan Mevis <jan.mevis(at)informavia.be (jan.mevis(at)informavia.be)> wrote:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: Jan Mevis <jan.mevis(at)informavia.be (jan.mevis(at)informavia.be)>

Yak 52 because of that.

Jan

On 22/07/15 19:47, "George S. Coy" <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) on

>--> Yak-List message posted by: "George S. Coy" <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)>
>
>check the clamps that secure the cable housing.
>
>--

trond.sorgard(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed Reply with quote

Im might add, I have cheked the wire clamp, seems ok, and the governor is changed to a new one, as i thought that might be it.
Trond

[quote][b]

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed Reply with quote

The Russian  V-530 propeller needs 15 bar – pretty much your 220 PSI. However, the MT propeller needs 22 bar – around 330 PSI to change pitch quickly. You achieve this with stronger pressure control springs in the governor. I suspect that the same is true of the Hoffman.

Also, have you checked the oil filter going into the governor – if this is partially blocked, you will inevitably have pitch change problems.

Richard Goode

Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom
Tel: +94 (0) 81 241 5137 (Sri Lanka)
Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com
I’m currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local phone is +94 779 132 160.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Trond Sørgård
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 5:49 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed

Hello George

I have had also some problems with my propeller cycling earlier, Moving the prop lever to full course made no difference to RPM with me aswell.

But this was on the ground testing under run up.

I also has tapped into my cowl to check oil pressure in certain RPM handle positions. I had 220PSI with RPM handle fully foward.

And 0 PSI approx. when handle in full Course(aft). As it should be.

When the oil gets warm... real warm, then its able to cycle.

After i changed oil it became much better, but still im not happy.the oil needs to be real warm to cycle on ground run up.

And in aerobatic flights its not hundred prosent able to maintain RPM, lets say in a loop.

George, what was the problem in your case? did you find it out?

I have a Hoffman Prop also. I bought my Yak-52W from you and Cliff, from a former airline pilot in Washington. And you shipped it to me in Norway.

Any suggestion and thoughts?

Regards Trond Sørgård

Bergen, Norway.

2015-07-22 20:46 GMT+02:00 George Coy <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)>:
When we had prop problems we could not figure out, I tapped into the oil line on the nose case and ran a 1/4 in hose to a pressure gauge and taped it to the cowl so I could see what was really happening with the oil pressure during flight. This was years ago when we were messing around with Hoffman props.

George

--> Yak-List message posted by: Jan Mevis <jan.mevis(at)informavia.be (jan.mevis(at)informavia.be)>

Yak 52 because of that.
Jan

[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "George S. Coy" <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)>

--

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed Reply with quote

Many times I have seen where the prop governor armis improperly
positioned. Not the stops. The position of the arm in relation to the
rotating shaft is critical. If the preload position of the rotating
shaft is incorrect (where the arm is attached along with the serrated
sleeve), it willcause the prop blades not to move to either full fine or
full coarse pitch. Proper adjustment procedure is in the M14 maintenance
manual.

Attached is the applicable task card.

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 7/27/2015 7:22 AM, Trond Sørgård wrote:
Quote:
Im might add,
I have cheked the wire clamp, seems ok, and the governor is changed to
a new one, as i thought that might be it.

Trond
http://www.matronics.com/contribution

M14_Prop_Governor_Adjustment_on-engine.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  M14_Prop_Governor_Adjustment_on-engine.pdf
 Filesize:  16.16 KB
 Downloaded:  277 Time(s)

nigel(at)yakdisplay.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed Reply with quote

Turned out to be a slipping gasket blocking the oil return hole to the gallery.....

Regards,

Nigel Willson
Flying Instructor / Examiner
Display Pilot
Tel. 07809 116676
Web. yakdisplay.com

Sent from my HTC One mini 2

----- Reply message -----
From: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>
To: "yak-list(at)matronics.com" <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Yak52 - Prop/Governor problem - help/advice needed
Date: Mon, Jul 27, 2015 14:35

Many times I have seen where the prop governor armis improperly
positioned. Not the stops. The position of the arm in relation to the
rotating shaft is critical. If the preload position of the rotating
shaft is incorrect (where the arm is attached along with the serrated
sleeve), it willcause the prop blades not to move to either full fine or
full coarse pitch. Proper adjustment procedure is in the M14 maintenance
manual.

Attached is the applicable task card.

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 7/27/2015 7:22 AM, Trond Sørgård wrote:
> Im might add,
> I have cheked the wire clamp, seems ok, and the governor is changed to
> a new one, as i thought that might be it.
>
> Trond
> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: