Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground power supplies DIY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jskiba(at)icosa.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

Okay so I am trying to create a Ground power supply for a low cost and found items like this on ebay
High Quality Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply for CCTV-12V 30A DC 360w
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-for-CCTV-12V-30A-DC-360w-/331735582614?hash=item4d3cfb4796:g:~EEAAOSw~otWc4iO

Question is would something like this be okay to supply modern aircraft avionics power via the ground power jack ?

I mean it supplies 30amps of power from either 110v or 230v (via switch selection)

So why are pre made aircraft power supplies so expensive ??

What am I missing or should I not do ??? Should I be looking for a different type of power supply ?

I really want to use it to sit in the aircraft and config all the avionics (battery will be connected but that can get drained after a few hours with everything on and no alternator Turing to power things)

Thanks
Jeff.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
enginerdy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

I do not see a UL listing label anywhere. Buyer beware, safety not guaranteed!
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, at 5:56 PM, Jeffrey W. Skiba <jskiba(at)icosa.net (jskiba(at)icosa.net)> wrote:
Okay so I am trying to create a Ground power supply for a low cost and found items like this on ebay
High Quality Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply for CCTV-12V 30A DC 360w
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-for-CCTV-12V-30A-DC-360w-/331735582614?hash=item4d3cfb4796:g:~EEAAOSw~otWc4iO

Question is would something like this be okay to supply modern aircraft avionics power via the ground power jack ?

I mean it supplies 30amps of power from either 110v or 230v (via switch selection)

What am I missing or should I not do ??? Should I be looking for a different type of power supply ?

I really want to use it to sit in the aircraft and config all the avionics (battery will be connected but that can get drained after a few hours with everything on and no alternator Turing to power things)

Thanks
Jeff.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

That's probably something to at least check, if you do purchase it. You should be able to check for safety with an ohm meter. Just check from each low voltage terminal to every line level terminal to be sure it's transformer-isolated.

Other than that, I'd probably go for it. The hotdog aviation supplies may be set up to run at 14 volts instead of 12, to mimic actual operating voltage with the alternator online, but that's not significant. After all, if your alternator quits, your electronics will still need to operate on battery-only.

If you don't need to run your entire panel for hours at a time, you can achieve the same thing with a cheap 12V SLA battery and a fully automatic trickle charger. If you already have both on hand, you wouldn't need to buy anything but hookup bits & pieces.

Charlie

On 1/11/2016 6:32 PM, Daniel Hooper wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, at 5:56 PM, Jeffrey W. Skiba <jskiba(at)icosa.net (jskiba(at)icosa.net)> wrote:

Thanks
Jeff.

jskiba(at)icosa.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

So what’s the difference of using one of these ?
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE-1275A-Automatic-Onboard-Battery/dp/B000BO8TTY

I have one already could I just connect it to external power plug and be good to go (the battery is still on line) is it not as clean for power output ? (granted it’s really only 12amps)

Subject: Re: Ground power supplies DIY

That's probably something to at least check, if you do purchase it. You should be able to check for safety with an ohm meter. Just check from each low voltage terminal to every line level terminal to be sure it's transformer-isolated.

Other than that, I'd probably go for it. The hotdog aviation supplies may be set up to run at 14 volts instead of 12, to mimic actual operating voltage with the alternator online, but that's not significant. After all, if your alternator quits, your electronics will still need to operate on battery-only.

If you don't need to run your entire panel for hours at a time, you can achieve the same thing with a cheap 12V SLA battery and a fully automatic trickle charger. If you already have both on hand, you wouldn't need to buy anything but hookup bits & pieces.

Charlie

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Jeff.

enginerdy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, at 7:15 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

That is is isolated is virtually guaranteed. The question is whether it will stay that way!

The UL requirements and tests ensure that it both will not pose a fire hazard and it will be electrically isolated from the line during reasonable use and *throughout the life of the product*.

Basically without the UL listing, there’s no verifiable way to know just what you’re getting.

skywagon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

I purchased one like this from eBay a couple of years ago. The PS comes from China.
It does as it is advertized to do and is well made, or at least the one I have.
My 185 has a ground power jack box built in near the battery. I use it for running the panel when doing adjustments, etc. to the avionics.
I used some medium heavy duty alligator clips to connect to my heavy duty plugs. You great care in connecting this way so you don't create a short. Or, if you don't mind spending lots of $$, buy a set of the mating jack/plugs for that external jumper junctions. A lot safer. . .

My unit came with no instructions nor data other than its rating.
You may have to figure out what terminals on the terminal board go to "where".
The PS also needs to be turned on before connection to the aircraft, like any bench "style" unit.

The regulated output DC voltage is set via a small pot adjustment. So use a V meter to get the output set about right and then, after connection, you may have to tweak the pot a tad to get the voltage you need. It will hold that voltage very well up to its max current rating.

If the PS is the same/similar to the one I have it is a heck of a deal for powering up the avionics panel.
Dave

[quote] ---

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

I'd certainly try it out. You might try some sort of inexpensive 12V audio device first, to see how noisy it is.

Even if it's too noisy, you can still run battery only for quite a while, then recharge between sessions.

On 1/11/2016 8:04 PM, Jeffrey W. Skiba wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE-1275A-Automatic-Onboard-Battery/dp/B000BO8TTY

I have one already could I just connect it to external power plug and be good to go (the battery is still on line) is it not as clean for power output ? (granted it’s really only 12amps)

Charlie

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Jeff.

jimkale(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

Power supplies have several different types of ratings, and most have no overvoltage protection in case the power supply regulator fails.
One of the ratings is how much current (Amps) will it provide while maintaining the rated voltage.
Ripple is a rating about how much the voltage is allowed to fluctuate while providing current. The fluctuation is normally at about 60 Hz (cycles per second) for older designs, however, the modern switching type power supplies may have ripple at many different frequencies that may or may not show up as a humming noise on radios, etc.
Some have voltage adjustments, some don’t. If you get an adjustable one and it is inadvertently turned up too high, it can fill your airplane with very expensive smoke in short order. Too low of a voltage can also cause some serious problems with SOME avionics.
The old adage LET THE BUYER BEWARE is very appropriate here. An attempt to save money might be extremely expensive.
Jim

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of David Lloyd
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2016 8:24 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com

I purchased one like this from eBay a couple of years ago. The PS comes from China.

It does as it is advertized to do and is well made, or at least the one I have.

My 185 has a ground power jack box built in near the battery. I use it for running the panel when doing adjustments, etc. to the avionics.

I used some medium heavy duty alligator clips to connect to my heavy duty plugs. You great care in connecting this way so you don't create a short. Or, if you don't mind spending lots of $$, buy a set of the mating jack/plugs for that external jumper junctions. A lot safer. . .

My unit came with no instructions nor data other than its rating.

You may have to figure out what terminals on the terminal board go to "where".

The PS also needs to be turned on before connection to the aircraft, like any bench "style" unit.

The regulated output DC voltage is set via a small pot adjustment. So use a V meter to get the output set about right and then, after connection, you may have to tweak the pot a tad to get the voltage you need. It will hold that voltage very well up to its max current rating.

If the PS is the same/similar to the one I have it is a heck of a deal for powering up the avionics panel.

Dave

[quote]
---

~WRD000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  823 Bytes
 Viewed:  11249 Time(s)

~WRD000.jpg

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

At 08:04 PM 1/11/2016, you wrote:
Quote:

Those do not deliver smooth DC voltage. They are
CHARGERS . . . not POWER SUPPLIES.

Bob . . .

jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

Is that a YES or a NO, Bob?
Doesn't a charger, in combination with a battery, deliver power that is clean enough to do the job?

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 12, 2016, at 06:36, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bob . . . =================================== >www.buildersbooks.com matronics.com/contribution =================================== st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List =================================== cs.com =================================== matronics.com/contribution ===================================

user9253

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

I have an RV-12 E-LSA with a Odyssey PC680 battery. If I intend to sit on the ground with the Dynon D-180 turned on for more than 5 minutes, I will connect a battery/maintainer similar to this one: Walmart #: 001036720
It is a charger, not a power supply. But it has worked fine for me for the past 5 years. I have read that modern avionics should be capable of withstanding anything that an aircraft electrical system can throw at them. I suspect that the Schumacher charger will not put out as much noise and voltage spikes as an aircraft electrical system with relays, contactors, RF transmitters, motors, strobes, alternators, and etc.
An avionics technician doing serious bench testing, will want a high quality power supply. But for a pilot sitting in the airplane pushing buttons to learn how to use a glass panel, I agree with Charlie's posts above.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

Quote:

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

At 10:05 PM 1/11/2016, you wrote:
Quote:
Power supplies have several different types of ratings, and most have no overvoltage protection in case the power supply regulator fails.
One of the ratings is how much current (Amps) will it provide while maintaining the rated voltage.
Ripple is a rating about how much the voltage is allowed to fluctuate while providing current. The fluctuation is normally at about 60 Hz (cycles per second) for older designs, however, the modern switching type power supplies may have ripple at many different frequencies that may or may not show up as a humming noise on radios, etc.

Here's my present value-choice for an AC
mains ground power supply . . .

http://tinyurl.com/zbn5g6m

It comes with lots of approvals. There's
no reason to suspect that the 'protective'
features cited are not equal to the best
we know how to do in that industry.

. . . and it's tough to beat the price/performance
numbers. This is on a part with a 20A switchmode
supply I used to sell out of the 'Connection
inventory about 10 years ago . . . but at 1/4th
the price.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

Quote:
the price.

Oh yeah, order the 15 volt version and adjust it
down to 14v to run your airplane.

Bob . . .

enginerdy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, at 11:47 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Here's my present value-choice for an AC mains ground power supply . . .

So connecting this 15V supply through a silicon diode would put the output at around 14.4V.. is that the idea?

Thanks,
Daniel

Bob McC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

No. The output is adjustable. Simply turn the voltage adjustment slightly counterclockwise to achieve the desired output.

Bob McC

Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Ground power supplies DIY
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:56:46 -0600
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com

Quote:

On Jan 12, 2016, at 11:47 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
 Here's my present value-choice for an AC   mains ground power supply . . .

So connecting this 15V supply through a silicon diode would put the output at around 14.4V.. is that the idea?
Thanks,
Daniel

Falco #908
(just starting)
edpav8r(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

On Jan 12, 2016, at 9:56 AM, Daniel Hooper <enginerdy(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks,
Daniel

There's a potentiometer on the unit that allows output voltage adjustment within approximately +/-10% of nominal. The listing says the limits are 13.5V - 16.5V.

Eric

jskiba(at)icosa.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Ground power supplies DIY Reply with quote

Just wanted to follow up with all that I ordered one of the suggested power supplies and turned it down to 14v and it works GREAT !! Thanks to all

I have also enclosed so pics

Thanks again Jeff

Subject: RE: Ground power supplies DIY

Quote:

the price.

Oh yeah, order the 15 volt version and adjust it
down to 14v to run your airplane.

Bob . . .

IMG_20160124_093159.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.76 MB
 Viewed:  11148 Time(s)

IMG_20160124_093159.JPG

IMG_20160124_123047.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.81 MB
 Viewed:  11148 Time(s)

IMG_20160124_123047.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: