Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

601XL Build Time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phyrcooler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

I am currently researching kit planes - looking to start one in 6 or 7 months. I am currently focusing on the LSA's out there due significantly to build times. Zenith claims 500 hours for a STANDARD kit - and half that for a quick build. What has been the experience of you builders out there? I understand there are only a few quick-builds currently under construction - possibly none completed yet. Does 250 look like a valid estimate? Is 500 valid for a standard? If so... WOW...

Thanks folks!

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Fair warning and standard disclaimer..... I probably obsess on details more than is truly necessary. That being said, I have put in somewhere around 210 hours and I am currently assembling the left wing skeleton of my 601XL. The tail and right wing are complete. I'll likely have both wings finished and be working on the fuselage by 250 hours. It's anybody's guess how many hours will have been put in by the time it is finished.

Ed Moody II

---- Phyrcooler <phyrcooler(at)HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
Quote:

Zenith claims 500 hours for a STANDARD kit - and half that for a quick build. What has been the experience of you builders out there?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Hmmm...Well lets say in the past Zac has been accused of "creative
accounting" when it comes to many numbers

My HDS for example...Claimed build time 400 hours...I took 950...I have
seen some rough examples that took 750.

Cruise speed 140 mph on only 80 horse power.....Yeah well anyway...
Bottom line, guess on doubling the claimed build times unless you built
one before.

Incidently if you think I am slow note that I am almost finished with an
RV7a that took 1200 hours compared to a claimed 1000 hours for the
QB...But then add my paint job, IFR instrumentation and after market
cowl and I think you'll see I build at about an average pace.

Frank

Do not archive

--

rsq2424(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Quote:
Zenith claims 500 hours for a STANDARD kit

No way, unless you're an A & P mechanic, mechanically gifted, or you have every waking hour every day to build nonstop. And remember -- that's just to build the airframe. The firewall forward components, instruments, etc can take just as long. I would double whatever claims are made on build time to get a flyable aircraft. (Incidentally, ZAC is not alone in their understatements....most of the kitplane companies do the same). Not sure about the quickbuild option, but I would still pad the time considerably if that's an important factor to you.

Mike Fortunato
601XL - Jab3300
Alta Loma, CA

JAPhillipsGA(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Ed, that's really pretty fast. I think I spent at least that long sharpening drill bits and crushing beer cans. As I was getting the fuselage done and looking to paint I was at 1300 hours and that was a modest guess of real time. I painted for over a month so time stood still. B of G

admin(at)arachnidrobotics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Wow, I may be the odd man out in this discussion.  My build partner and I are each at about the same stage in our builds.  The tail section is complete, and the fuselage is about 75% complete.  We chose to build the wings last.  The thing is, we have easily less than 200 hours into the builds each.  I have no doubt that we'll come in under the 500 hour mark, although neither of us are gunning for it.  It takes whatever it takes.  This is for the airframe only of course (prior to engine, instruments, and wiring).
    The kicker here is that we're both scratch building.  Granted, we're using CNC equipment to approximate the kit parts Zenith sells, but even with the programming and punch time, I'm still below 200 hours.  Pick up the parts from Zenith, and you're right there with us.
    The short version of this is these are very quick to build aircraft.  You could easily be caught up in analysis paralysis, as with any kit, but avoid that and you've got an airframe in no time.  The Sloooow build (ie-Scratch Build) version will go together faster than most Quick build kits from some of the other manufacturers. 

Phyrcooler <phyrcooler(at)HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:[quote] --> Zenith-List message posted by: "Phyrcooler"

I am currently researching kit planes - looking to start one in 6 or 7 months. I am currently focusing on the LSA's out there due significantly to build times. Zenith claims 500 hours for a STANDARD kit - and half that for a quick build. What has been the experience of you builders out there? I understand there are only a few quick-builds currently under construction - possibly none completed yet. Does 250 look like a

p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

I have not kept track of my build time, so I can't give a direct
answer to your question.

Perhaps I can help you understand the building process a little as
well as help you decide what plane to build.

The building process for a kit plane like the Zodiac XL is relatively
simple and indeed quicker than many other designs. This is part of
the genius of its designer and also a result from the simple shapes
and rivets used. The kit can be built using only simple tools, but
not quite as simple as claimed by Zenith. The claim that it can be
done without using any solid rivets is also not true. There are a
number of small solid rivets used to attach nut plates and similar
things. You can do it all without buying an air powered rivet gun,
but I have found many chances to set small solid rivets with a 1 ton
arbor press I already had.

Rather than focus on the build time, I would suggest you focus on the
simplicity of building the kit and on the quality of instructions and
drawings as well as kit materials. I personally rate Zenith highly
in most of the kit materials with some reservation on pre-drilled
pilot holes in some of the kit parts. This might have improved
recently with their addition of a fancy N/C routing machine used to
do some of the drilling. The drawings are relatively good, but have
many little inconsistencies which lead to ruined parts. Zenith is
good about replacing parts and materials if you contact them, but
there is still the delay in building to consider. The photo
instructions start out really good and lose value as you move through
the building process. My point here is to bring your thinking to the
subject of how many times you will have to build the same part and
how many delays you will face waiting for sub-kit orders (if you
choose that path) rather than the simple number for the whole build process.

On the subject of choosing a plane design, I would suggest the kit
qualities and build time are not even near the top of the list of
criteria to use. The most important thing to consider is how well
the finished plane meets your needs and desires. You can only tell
this from examining your own goals and through demo flights and other
familiarization with the finished planes. You can learn many things
from these exposures that you will never learn by reading sales literature.

For example, Frank Hinde has claimed how good the RV-9A is compared
to the Zodiac in a post today. What he didn't tell you is it takes
twice as much money and twice as much time to build as the XL and
gives you perhaps 10 or 20 knots increased speed for all this extra
cost. It also gives you a free castoring nose wheel instead of the
nose gear steering in the XL. That means you must use differential
braking to keep the plane aligned while trying to take off with a
crosswind. This is not the case with the Zodiac.

In any event, building a plane from any kit (including quick build
kits) will take a huge amount of time and effort. It will challenge
you to think about what you are doing and reward you for good
decisions and penalize you for bad ones. You will learn how to
overcome mistakes, but you will also learn that each mistake costs
you both time and money. In the end you will have plenty of reason
to be proud of your accomplishment. When you start flying your plane
you will really learn how well you did your design selection process.

Paul
XL fuselage
do not archive

Quote:
Hmmm...Well lets say in the past Zac has been accused of "creative
accounting" when it comes to many numbers

My HDS for example...Claimed build time 400 hours...I took 950...I have
seen some rough examples that took 750.

Cruise speed 140 mph on only 80 horse power.....Yeah well anyway...
Bottom line, guess on doubling the claimed build times unless you built
one before.

Incidently if you think I am slow note that I am almost finished with an
RV7a that took 1200 hours compared to a claimed 1000 hours for the
QB...But then add my paint job, IFR instrumentation and after market
cowl and I think you'll see I build at about an average pace.

Frank

I am currently researching kit planes - looking to start one in 6 or 7
months. I am currently focusing on the LSA's out there due
significantly to build times. Zenith claims 500 hours for a STANDARD
kit - and half that for a quick build. What has been the experience of
you builders out there? I understand there are only a few quick-builds
currently under construction - possibly none completed yet. Does 250
look like a valid estimate? Is 500 valid for a standard? If so...
WOW...

Thanks folks!

n4546v(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Could you advise what CNC equipment you are using?  You mention punching; Amada Pega, Strippet, etc.?

Regards,

Randy L. Thwing, Las Vegas do not archive

Quote:
we're using CNC equipment to approximate the kit parts Zenith sells, but even with the programming and punch time

rsq2424(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I would refer to you as odd man out, but there are some key differences between you and the average first time builder. Most guys I know wouldn't recognize a CNC machine if it fell on their front yard, much less how to use one. You also have a build partner, and two heads are definitely better than one in figuring this stuff out. From this and other posts, I'm also guessing you probably have much more experience in this sort of thing than the rest of us.

Analysis to paralysis isn't so much the issue -- if you're a FIRST TIME builder (which is what the hours are supposed to be rated at), it should be presumed that you don't automatically know how to read and interpret plans (especially those riddled with errors). Analysis, therefore, is definitely required.

This isn't meant to discourage anyone -- it's simply a caution for the new guys to avoid believing the hype in favor of reality. If you're building one of these things, just plan on it taking a long time. If you're ok with that, then go for it!

Tom and Bren Henderson <admin(at)arachnidrobotics.com> wrote:
Quote:
    Wow, I may be the odd man out in this discussion.

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

I'm using a Vipros 358Z and Vipros 255 Punche along with an Amada 667 and Bystronic 3015 Laser.  Most of the forming was done on an Astro robotic press brake.  If the robot didn't do it, it was on another Amada brake.
    You sound like you've had some experience with CNC sheet metal?  You can contact me off-list if you'd like more specifics on the parts and procedures.
"Randy L. Thwing" <n4546v(at)mindspring.com> wrote:
Quote:
Could you advise what CNC equipment you are using?  You mention punching; Amada Pega, Strippet, etc.?

Regards,

Randy L. Thwing, Las Vegas do not archive

Quote:
we're using CNC equipment to approximate the kit parts Zenith sells, but even with the programming and punch time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Mike makes a good point when he mentions the impact of experience on build time, but the novice sheet metal mechanic could definitely complete the 601XL.  I think it's safe to say that the correspondence in this list could well cut your build time by hundreds of hours if you pay attention.  Mike mentions the plans being riddled with errors.  He's right, but there exists a great community (this list) to interpret those mistakes and sometimes improve on the original design in the process.
    If you've got an internet connection (you're reading the list aren't you?), then you already have all the help you need to build a great little airplane.  There are only two things you have to bring to the table.  Money and determination.  If you're a little short on the money side, an immense amount of determination can help offset some of the cost.  Heck, there are guys I'm reading about in this list that are just completing fifteen year builds.  Now THAT'S determination!

Mike <rsq2424(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if I would refer to you as odd man out, but there are some key differences between you and the average first time builder. Most guys I know wouldn't recognize a CNC machine if it fell on their front yard, much less how to use one. You also have a build partner, and two heads are definitely better than one in figuring this stuff out. From this and other posts, I'm also guessing you probably have much more experience in this sort of thing than the rest of us.

Analysis to paralysis isn't so much the issue -- if you're a FIRST TIME builder (which is what the hours are supposed to be rated at), it should be presumed that you don't automatically know how to read and interpret plans (especially those riddled with errors). Analysis, therefore, is definitely required.

This isn't meant to discourage anyone -- it's simply a caution for the new guys to avoid believing the hype in favor of reality. If you're building one of these things, just plan on it taking a long time. If you're ok with that, then go for it!

Tom and Bren Henderson <admin(at)arachnidrobotics.com> wrote:
Quote:
    Wow, I may be the odd man out in this discussion.

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger�s low [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman8/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com] PC-to-Phone call rates.[/url]

ggower_99(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Hello Phyr

I will tell you my point of view  with reference of my personal experience in this airplanes (Zenith  701 finished and flying and working on a "standard kit" 601 XL).

As a first project, you need at least about  300 hrs more (most of them in organizing, this includes knowing the plans and manual, and getting every step ready), from the 500 advertized, not bad.  Is a well designed airplane in the simple to build side of the homebuilding market.  Not counting the very expensive "glue two shells" of the fast composite super kits  Smile  

800 hrs will be close, IF  (very important)  you are in a hurry to fly the plane and you will not pay much attention to detail...  This is for a safe no aishow quality airplane.

To build a good looking, airplane (rounded corners and edges,  primered inside, straight and well spaced rivets, well designed and wired instrument panel,  a "couple" of rebuilt parts that looked not as you will like,etc)    I will think of at least 1,000 hrs (for a beguiner), but is worth the extra work and efort (been there done that). 

From there on (1,000 hrs plus)   is working on detailed building from the first part you built from the kit up,  to a almost professional wiring and engine instalation, EIS,  avionics, good painting (or aluminum skins polished) and strips,  pretty and LIGHT upholstery, you name it...   We all know this special builders we will always admire...  Here we have several good examples in the list.  (no names, so no one will be left out), you will eventualy find their airplanes in their web pages and flyins...

Just visit any good size fly in, to see examples of diferent airplanes in both sides of the "perfection",  A have looked to a couple that I would not like to be below them if flown over me Smile   Is a shame all that money and time invested.  Just a little care and love will make a great airplane, is your desision.

What ever way you decide to go,  PLEASE keep it light and simple, you will never be sorry for the great performance you will get since first flight.

Also, Very Important!  The worse enemy of any project is not working Constantly in it...  try to work on the project daily if possible,  even just looking at the plans or making a little part will do,   once you beguin leaving the project aside for a "few" days, will become worse with time and probably will never be finished.

Hope this helps and welcome to the list... 

No first hand experience in fast built kits... Yet...

Saludos
Gary Gower
Flying from Chapala. Mexico.
Phyrcooler <phyrcooler(at)HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:[quote]

LHusky(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

I am the other building partner Tom is speaking of.  I just added up my builders log and I have 92 hrs in my airplane so far.  I am about halfway done with my fuselage.  My firewall is near complete.  Now I do have to say that the CNC machine does so much work, there is times that I am literally skipping pages of instructions from the plans.  I built my first rudder from the parts Tom cut from the CNC machine.  I did not have to drill any holes in the doublers, spar or even cut the angles at the bottom of the doublers.  There was no laying out rivet lines.  I had a total time of 2.5 hrs building my first rudder and it came out awesome.  I then had it stolen by a scrape dealer when I was moving and had it setting in my front yard.  I was going to use the CNC parts again, but I decided to build a rudder at the Zenith shop in Cloverdale, CA on May 6th.  I have to admit, that when I got there and saw the parts sitting on the table.  I had a lot more work to do on this one.  I had almost 8 hrs in this one when I was done and I already knew what I was doing.  I did not have to cut the bottom of the skin with the CNC parts, but I had to with the Zenith parts.  I even have a stack of L angles that already have holes drilled.  They match up with the skins and you mark, cut and install.  My build time even includes Zinc Chromating all my parts.  Since Zenith is now using a CNC for some of their parts, the build time should drop for future kit builders.  Me and Tom will be well within the 500 hrs.  I think in 500 hrs, I will have the motor rebuilt and probably near flying stage.  I do think that this is abnormal for most scrape builders though.  I got lucky and I appreciate that CNC machine every time I match a piece and cleco it without having to do the work that the plans show. 

Larry Husky
Lakeview, OR
601XL / Corvair
Building Fuse

Do Not Archive

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Yes the RV will take you twice as long...And this conversation is moot
because the requirement is for an LSA. I am not totatlly conviced you
could not build a low end RV9 for a similar cost to a high end XL...I
mean you can put an 0235 in each airplane so then in theory you are down
to the price difference of the kits. There are alternate engines for the
RV but I'm not sure it is worth the hassle. I think RV's come out "twice
as expensive" because of folks put into them rather than the absolute
cost driver.

The real world top speed of the Rv9 a is about 171mph that's on
118HP..Not too shabby!...

The big drawback is the solid rivets and that's why it will take you
longer...However the quality of the RV kits is truly stunning, When they
say "matched hole technology" they mean it!

Frank

Do not archive

For example, Frank Hinde has claimed how good the RV-9A is compared to
the Zodiac in a post today. What he didn't tell you is it takes twice
as much money and twice as much time to build as the XL and gives you
perhaps 10 or 20 knots increased speed for all this extra cost. It also
gives you a free castoring nose wheel instead of the nose gear steering
in the XL. That means you must use differential braking to keep the
plane aligned while trying to take off with a crosswind. This is not
the case with the Zodiac.

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

And when you have the airframe completly finished you will be about 50% done...Smile

Frank

Do not archive

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tom and Bren Henderson
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 3:45 PM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: 601XL Build Time

Wow, I may be the odd man out in this discussion.  My build partner and I are each at about the same stage in our builds.  The tail section is complete, and the fuselage is about 75% complete.  We chose to build the wings last.  The thing is, we have easily less than 200 hours into the builds each.  I have no doubt that we'll come in under the 500 hour mark, although neither of us are gunning for it.  It takes whatever it takes.  This is for the airframe only of course (prior to engine, instruments, and wiring).
    The kicker here is that we're both scratch building.  Granted, we're using CNC equipment to approximate the kit parts Zenith sells, but even with the programming and punch time, I'm still below 200 hours.  Pick up the parts from Zenith, and you're right there with us.
    The short version of this is these are very quick to build aircraft.  You could easily be caught up in analysis paralysis, as with any kit, but avoid that and you've got an airframe in no time.  The Sloooow build (ie-Scratch Build) version will go together faster than most Quick build kits from some of the other manufacturers. 
Phyrcooler <phyrcooler(at)HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Phyrcooler"

I am currently researching kit planes - looking to start one in 6 or 7 months. I am currently focusing on the LSA's out there due significantly to build times. Zenith claims 500 hours for a STANDARD kit - and half that for a quick build. What has been the experience of you builders out there? I understand there are only a few quick-builds currently under construction - possibly none completed yet. Does 250 look like a

entecrj(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

>And when you have the airframe completly finished you will be about 50% done...Smile
>Frank

My air frame is done, but it is feeling more like 25% done.
Now gathering components for a corvair engine.

Russell / 601-HDS

do not archive

jeffrey-j-paris(at)excite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Dear Mr. "Phyrcooler",

My retired Father and I received our Zenith Zodiac Kit in late June of 2001. We have never built a kit of any kind before this, I was definitely interested in how much time does it really take to do a top notch job. In our case it took us 1500 hours on the nose to complete our plane. 800 hours for the the Zenith airframe and 700 housr firewall forward. The only thing we didn't do was the sewing of our upholstery for our seats and we were convinced by a close building friend to purchase the firewall forward kit for our Jabiru 3300 engine. My local FSDO and DAR we so impressed with our builders log and record keeping that it was remarked..."this should be the standard in building logs!"

Build Specifics of N196ZP Zenith Zodiac CH601XL:

Airframe was totally primed inside and out with acid etching primer.
Akzo Noble 2 part polyurethane paint.
Jabiru 3300 engine
Standard 2 12 gal tanks
Aileron trim and elevator trim
VFR NIght capable
Dynon EFIS
Xerion Engine Analyzer
Icom Radios
King Tansponder
Cold Cathode tube internal cabin lighting system
Total investment $56,000.00 USD Satisfaction of owning, maintaining and flying an airplane that you built...PRICELESS!
88 total hours on the airframe and the aircraft has delivered on all promises made by Zenith.

Every kit has it's warts, but would we do it again absolutely and we always have our eyes open for the next building opportunity, but for now we are truly enjoying our airplane. Remember that no one is going to hand you anything on a silver plate and always try to do something everyday.
Our aircraft has been a real joy to fly and operate

--- On Tue 07/18, Phyrcooler < phyrcooler(at)HOTMAIL.COM > wrote:

Phyrcooler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Thank you all for your thoughts. It seems like your answers vary quite a bit - however, with most agreeing that it takes WAAAY longer than what Zenith advertises. I think that unfamiliarity with the product would naturally make it go slow. Conversely - a second time builder would probably cut hundreds of hours off just because he "got it" and knew what to do when reading the plans... or in spite of the plans. But how many second time builders of the SAME plane would there be...! Most folks move to something different - usually higher performance or different mission oriented when they do a second plane.

I have picked up from a couple of posts that the plans and illustrations leave much to be desired - which concerns me. Is this feeling universal?

I am curious however, if Ed Moody could summarize his previous builder experience, if any. He seems to be on track if he can build both wings and tail in 250 hours...

For anyone else out there who hasn't posted... any further thoughts on your build time, or any others with careful builders logs that calculated time?

Thanks again to all of you.

zman601xl(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

Dear Mr. "Phyrcooler",

My retired Father and I received our Zenith Zodiac Kit in late June of 2001. We have never built a kit of any kind before this, I was definitely interested in how much time does it really take to do a top notch job. In our case it took us 1500 hours on the nose to complete our plane. 800 hours for the the Zenith airframe and 700 housr firewall forward. The only thing we didn't do was the sewing of our upholstery for our seats and we were convinced by a close building friend to purchase the firewall forward kit for our Jabiru 3300 engine. My local FSDO and DAR we so impressed with our builders log and record keeping that it was remarked..."this should be the standard in building logs!"

Build Specifics of N196ZP Zenith Zodiac CH601XL:

Airframe was totally primed inside and out with acid etching primer.
Akzo Noble 2 part polyurethane paint.
Jabiru 3300 engine
Standard 2 12 gal tanks
Aileron trim and elevator trim
VFR NIght capable
Dynon EFIS
Xerion Engine Analyzer
Icom Radios
King Tansponder
Cold Cathode tube internal cabin lighting system
Total investment $56,000.00 USD Satisfaction of owning, maintaining and flying an airplane that you built...PRICELESS!
88 total hours on the airframe and the aircraft has delivered on all promises made by Zenith.

Every kit has it's warts, but would we do it again absolutely and we always have our eyes open for the next building opportunity, but for now we are truly enjoying our airplane. Remember that no one is going to hand you anything on a silver plate and always try to do something everyday.
Our aircraft has been a real joy to fly and operate

--- On Tue 07/18, Phyrcooler < phyrcooler(at)HOTMAIL.COM > wrote:

Jeff,
I had the pleasure of looking your plane over at the Rochester open house(before security told us to move on).From what little I got to see I really think you did a great job.You mean you didn't finish it in 500 hrs like the brochure says....SMILE.I've got 500 hrs in mine(flt cont. surfaces/wings,etc.,and am now working on the fuselage.
Bob Haring
Zman601xl(at)verizon.net

Jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: 601XL Build Time Reply with quote

I have completed tail feathers, both wings and am about 50% complete with the fuselage (not including canopy & gear).  I have 408 hours directly spent on the airplane and 35 hours of other (essential) efforts.  I am not compulsive about buidling a "show plane."  I do want to be proud of the finished product and I AM going to fly it, so I do not compromise structural safety.

Hope that adds something to your thought process.

Jay in Dallas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: