Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HKS and ethanol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

Getting tired of driving so far to get non Ethanol gasoline. I have an HKS on my Firestar. The tanks have never had any oil mixed fuel in them. Is there a real reason to continue buying non ethanol fuel?
Thanks

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

I thought HKS was 4 cycle engines? Anyway the problem there is really is a possibility of lead fouling a spark plug.
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 7, 2024, at 9:26 PM, lcottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Getting tired of driving so far to get non Ethanol gasoline. I have an HKS on my Firestar. The tanks have never had any oil mixed fuel in them. Is there a real reason to continue buying non ethanol fuel?
Thanks

--------
do not archive

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=513762#513762

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jhauck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

The problem is lead fouling inside the engine on bearing surfaces, not plug fouling.

Both Rotax and HKS are authorized to burn 100LL which is loaded with lead. The requirement to use 100LL is more frequent oil changes.

John h
Titus, Alabama

--

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

One would think the HKS could handle up to 10% ethanol. The owner's
manual should say if it can tolerate ethanol and what the minimum octane is.

In any case, are you thinking of going to regular car gas?

100LL is ethanol free and has basically no shelf life, but I didn't take
it that you were asking about 100LL.

Was at a seminar at OSH where they talked about the new G100UL gas that
has been approved by the FAA. No lead and high enough octane to run in
just about anything. Rotax is fine with it for both the 4 stroke and 2
stroke engines. It sounds like that will become available at just about
all airports in the next couple of years as they shut down the last of
the 100LL production.

IN the mean time Rotax is saying up to 10% is fine as long as you get
enough octane for your particular engine. In most places that is either
premium auto gas at the pump or sometimes marketed as ethanol free
recreation fuel.

In the case of your HKS Larry, I would think that if it can tolerate a
little ethanol you would be fine with regular car gas at the pump as
long as you can get enough octane. Just remember that it has a very
limited shelf life so you don't want to stock up on too much at a time.
Also I would think that the occasional use of 100LL would have little or
no impact on your engine.

The only other concern would be fuel system components. Tanks, lines,
pump, etc.

Are you still flying every day you can?

Stuart

On 8/7/24 20:25, lcottrell wrote:
Quote:

Thanks

--------
do not archive

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=513762#513762

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

My problem with fuel is that I have to drive 130 miles to get non ethanol. I live in a remote area, so my options are limited. Cost is also a factor. As far as my flight times, I am cutting back quite a bit. Have seen everything several times, so some of the shine has diminished.
Thanks for the reply.
Larry 
On Thu, Aug 8, 2024 at 8:51 AM Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)>

manual should say if it can tolerate ethanol and what the minimum octane is.

In any case, are you thinking of going to regular car gas?

100LL is ethanol free and has basically no shelf life, but I didn't take
it that you were asking about 100LL.

Was at a seminar at OSH where they talked about the new G100UL gas that
has been approved by the FAA. No lead and high enough octane to run in
just about anything. Rotax is fine with it for both the 4 stroke and 2
stroke engines. It sounds like that will become available at just about
all airports in the next couple of years as they shut down the last of
the 100LL production.

IN the mean time Rotax is saying up to 10% is fine as long as you get
enough octane for your particular engine. In most places that is either
premium auto gas at the pump or sometimes marketed as ethanol free
recreation fuel.

In the case of your HKS Larry, I would think that if it can tolerate a
little ethanol you would be fine with regular car gas at the pump as
long as you can get enough octane. Just remember that it has a very
limited shelf life so you don't want to stock up on too much at a time.
Also I would think that the occasional use of 100LL would have little or
no impact on your engine.

The only other concern would be fuel system components. Tanks, lines,
pump, etc.

Are you still flying every day you can?

Stuart

On 8/7/24 20:25, lcottrell wrote:
> --> Kolb-List message posted by: "lcottrell" <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)>
>
> Getting tired of driving so far to get non Ethanol gasoline. I have an HKS on my Firestar. The tanks have never had any oil mixed fuel in them. Is there a real reason to continue buying non ethanol fuel?
> Thanks
>
> --------
> do not archive
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=513762#513762
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Ceengland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

On Wed, Aug 7, 2024 at 8:26 PM lcottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "lcottrell" <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)>

Thanks
Why 'd0 n0t archive'? You're asking a sensible question, and both the question and answers could help someone else in the future.
On the issue of Egas vs non-Egas: I can't directly address the HKS, but *usually*, the issue with ethanol is more the a/c fuel system and the engine's accessories than the engine itself. If you have a fiberglass fuel tank, you're likely at risk of damage from ethanol. If you have plastic or 'traditional' rubber fuel lines, same thing. If the engine has an engine driven fuel pump, the 'soft' parts *might* be at risk, but it would seem unlikely, since most a/c engine accessories are derivatives of automotive/sports engine stuff, and all that has been adapted to Egas decades ago.
The engine itself doesn't care, as long as octane of the fuel is adequate, and most non-Egas is the same or lower octane rating as equivalent Egas.
As a FWIW, I've been running Egas from the nearest gas station in my 180 HP Lycoming  IO360 in my RV6 for several years without issue. The only parts in an RV or a Lyc that are vulnerable to the ethanol are the 'soft' parts in the very old engine driven fuel pumps, but any pump made in the last 15-20 years has upgraded parts that are E-resistant.
Note that there will be a *slight* increase in vapor lock issues with Egas. Straight ethanol has a lower vapor pressure than gasoline, but due to some strange black magic, when you mix up to around 10-15% with gasoline, the overall vapor pressure increases a bit (meaning the risk of vapor lock goes up). If you run a carb on that engine, you'll need to be a bit more cautious in hot weather, but with the carb out in the airflow where it gets maximum cooling, that shouldn't be a huge risk. If the engine is fuel injected using automotive high pressure injection, the risk goes way down and would be limited to the fuel in the supply line from the tank to the pump getting too hot. And that only if the pump is having to pull the fuel up (pump above the tank instead of below it).

neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

Larry

I have been burning auto gas in my vw kolb for over twenty years with no
issues. When I store it for the winter I put fuel stabilizer or 100 LL. For
the last 10 years I have been putting non ethanol in it the last few fills
also.
Rick Neilsen

On Thu, Aug 8, 2024 at 11:37 AM Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com>
wrote:

[quote] My problem with fuel is that I have to drive 130 miles to get non ethanol

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

Other than the soft parts of the fuel system the biggest worry of ethanol is separation.
When the ethanol absorbs a certain amount of water it becomes too heavy to stay mixed with the gasoline. It then does a phase separation where it drops out to the bottom of the tank. Now you are trying to burn something that has no gasoline in it.

Phase separation was one of the big hurdles to overcome and was the major reasons it was never adopted for general aviation use. Mixes of under 10% usually are fine but those over 10% are at a much greater risk of separation.
Exact mix proportional control is lax at best for automotive use and even if tightly controlled at the time of mixing, evaporation and age of the mix can cause the proportions to vary wildly by the time it actually gets airborne. Thus the problems with ethanol that have supposedly been cured by the new G100 stuff.

Considering Larry's location, phase separation my not be an issue especially if he can keep his supply as fresh as possible.

It's just another one of the many hurdles to private aviation that helps keep us suppressed.
Stuart

On 8/8/24 10:40, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:

On Wed, Aug 7, 2024 at 8:26 PM lcottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "lcottrell" <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)>

Thanks
Why 'd0 n0t archive'? You're asking a sensible question, and both the question and answers could help someone else in the future.

On the issue of Egas vs non-Egas: I can't directly address the HKS, but *usually*, the issue with ethanol is more the a/c fuel system and the engine's accessories than the engine itself. If you have a fiberglass fuel tank, you're likely at risk of damage from ethanol. If you have plastic or 'traditional' rubber fuel lines, same thing. If the engine has an engine driven fuel pump, the 'soft' parts *might* be at risk, but it would seem unlikely, since most a/c engine accessories are derivatives of automotive/sports engine stuff, and all that has been adapted to Egas decades ago.

The engine itself doesn't care, as long as octane of the fuel is adequate, and most non-Egas is the same or lower octane rating as equivalent Egas.

As a FWIW, I've been running Egas from the nearest gas station in my 180 HP Lycoming  IO360 in my RV6 for several years without issue. The only parts in an RV or a Lyc that are vulnerable to the ethanol are the 'soft' parts in the very old engine driven fuel pumps, but any pump made in the last 15-20 years has upgraded parts that are E-resistant.

Note that there will be a *slight* increase in vapor lock issues with Egas. Straight ethanol has a lower vapor pressure than gasoline, but due to some strange black magic, when you mix up to around 10-15% with gasoline, the overall vapor pressure increases a bit (meaning the risk of vapor lock goes up). If you run a carb on that engine, you'll need to be a bit more cautious in hot weather, but with the carb out in the airflow where it gets maximum cooling, that shouldn't be a huge risk. If the engine is fuel injected using automotive high pressure injection, the risk goes way down and would be limited to the fuel in the supply line from the tank to the pump getting too hot. And that only if the pump is having to pull the fuel up (pump above the tank instead of below it).

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

My concern was the soft parts of the engine when using ethanol. That and the fact that it costs me $50 bucks just to get to a Non ethanol pump, not to mention the extra $1.50 a gallon to get it. 
Thanks for the answers that you all have provided. Just going to bite the bullet and do it. Sigh!
Larry
On Thu, Aug 8, 2024 at 1:01 PM Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Other than the soft parts of the fuel system the biggest worry of ethanol is separation.
When the ethanol absorbs a certain amount of water it becomes too heavy to stay mixed with the gasoline. It then does a phase separation where it drops out to the bottom of the tank. Now you are trying to burn something that has no gasoline in it.

Phase separation was one of the big hurdles to overcome and was the major reasons it was never adopted for general aviation use. Mixes of under 10% usually are fine but those over 10% are at a much greater risk of separation.
Exact mix proportional control is lax at best for automotive use and even if tightly controlled at the time of mixing, evaporation and age of the mix can cause the proportions to vary wildly by the time it actually gets airborne. Thus the problems with ethanol that have supposedly been cured by the new G100 stuff.

Considering Larry's location, phase separation my not be an issue especially if he can keep his supply as fresh as possible.

It's just another one of the many hurdles to private aviation that helps keep us suppressed.
Stuart

On 8/8/24 10:40, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

--

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Ceengland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

Phase separation really is a 'thing', but it seems likely a Kolb with any engine running a carb without mixture adjustment would quit from running too rich (or the pilot will freeze) before the plane gets high and cold enough for it to happen. I know the guys up north fly in colder conditions than us wimps in the deep south, but does anyone fly up in the O2 levels in winter? It's worth getting past the 'bumper sticker' and dig into the conditions required for it to happen. Another example would be vapor pressure issues. higher vapor lock risk, as I mentioned earlier, but strangely, once ethanol percentage gets above 15% or so the vapor pressure actually drops to equal or below straight gas, meaning *lower* risk of vapor lock.
Quote:

Water absorption is a thing too, but there's theory and then there's practice. I think Yogi Berra had it rightWink
My RV6 is hangared in a rather drafty hangar in what's probably the highest humidity area in the USA (Mississippi, with RH often above 80%), sits for sometimes a month or more at a time with big day/night temperature swings and water dripping off the inside of the metal roof most mornings, and I've never, ever, found a drop of water in the sumps. IMO, the risk of water getting in the fuel is no joke if a plane is tied down outside, but that's true no matter what fuel is used.
Having said all that, everyone should evaluate the risks/benefits for themselves, and make their own decisions.
Virus-free.www.avast.com[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

Arty Trost

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

Larry,
I was told by Rotax mechanics that as long as you're flying frequently you don't need to worry about using regular gas. During the spring, summer, and early fall I fly with 91 premium (in my 912ULS) since I'm flying every few days, or at the least, weekly. During the rainy season I switch to non-ethanol since my flying opportunities are fewer.
Arty
"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."

On Thursday, August 8, 2024 at 08:39:28 AM PDT, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com> wrote:

My problem with fuel is that I have to drive 130 miles to get non ethanol. I live in a remote area, so my options are limited. Cost is also a factor. As far as my flight times, I am cutting back quite a bit. Have seen everything several times, so some of the shine has diminished.Thanks for the reply.Larry 
On Thu, Aug 8, 2024 at 8:51 AM Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net> wrote:

manual should say if it can tolerate ethanol and what the minimum octane is

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

When my buddy Ed was keeping his FSII in the hangar next to me, he used ethanol fuel in his 582, the key was to take the float bowls off and just dump the fuel after each flight. Otherwise the ethanol will crud up the carb internals.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

Thanks Richard. I had no idea that there was anyone left on the list. Smile
 I live in a remote part of Oregon, and the one station that is within 40 miles of me has non ethanol fuel, sells it for more than 5  and change. Their ethanol fuel is still higher than the non ethanol in Boise Idaho, where I go shopping. So I just as well use non ethanol.
Larry
On Sun, Aug 25, 2024 at 1:26 PM Richard Pike <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)>

When my buddy Ed was keeping his FSII in the hangar next to me, he used ethanol fuel in his 582, the key was to take the float bowls off and just dump the fuel after each flight. Otherwise the ethanol will crud up the carb internals.

--------
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=513799#513799

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

--

alfuller194(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

Agreed, we have seen the same thing with old cars that sit around a lot - the ethanol picks up water from the atmosphere and cruds up the fuel system. Vehicles that get used a lot [and therefore don’t have ethanol containing fuel sitting there going stale] usually don’t have issues. Those who let it sit around do have issues. Now, I have to go out and look at a fuel system myself that has been sitting around... ☹

-----------------------------------
All the best,

Al Fuller

--

Arty Trost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: HKS and ethanol Reply with quote

I want to underscore what alfuller194 wrote: when you fly a lot, you don't have to worry about using mogas with ethanol. I use clear (non-ethanol) mogas in the winter when I fly less frequently.
Arty

"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."

On Sunday, August 25, 2024 at 01:09:21 PM PDT, alfuller194(at)gmail.com <alfuller194(at)gmail.com> wrote:

--> Kolb-List message posted by: <alfuller194(at)gmail.com (alfuller194(at)gmail.com)>

Agreed, we have seen the same thing with old cars that sit around a lot - the ethanol picks up water from the atmosphere and cruds up the fuel system. Vehicles that get used a lot [and therefore don’t have ethanol containing fuel sitting there going stale] usually don’t have issues. Those who let it sit around do have issues. Now, I have to go out and look at a fuel system myself that has been sitting around... ☹

-----------------------------------

All the best,

Al Fuller

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: