Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New To The List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kearney(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

Hi

I want to introduce my self to the -10 List.

During an evening discussion last week at KOSH, I was chatting with an acquaintance about homebuilt and how I want to build *something* *someday*. In past years I had looked at some of the plastic designs but I am a bit wary of putting a lot of time & money into these designs. My acquaintance suggested that I look at the RV-10.

To make a long story short, I was quite impressed with the aluminum design, match drilled quick build kit and performance specs of the -10. For the moment, my investment is limited to the info kits sold at the Van booth at KOSH. What I am doing is sorting out the logistics of building an a/c. This includes finding out what builder support is available locally and seeing what sheet metal courses are available at the local trade school. I am also researching Canadian building / inspection / certification requirements etc.

I do have a few questions for the list, questions that may help me decide if I want to take Van’s $30k demo ride.
  • How difficult is it to follow the building instructions?
  • How much space is required? My wife has graciously donated 2 of the 3 bays in our garage (provided her car doesn’t winter outside). I expect to have a 20’ x 20’ space available. Is this sufficient for all but the final assembly?
  • The Van info includes a flyer from AIR-CRAFTERS who operate a build center. They suggest that I can build the -10 tail kit in 10 days at their facility after teaching me to do things right. Does anyone have experience with this firm? Is this a worthwhile investment?
  • What things should a first time builder be wary of?

Cheers

Les Kearney
Alberta, Canada

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

Hi Les, Sorry, but we don't welcome canadians here, and this
list is no good at support. <Just kidding!>

The plans are pretty good to follow in the beginning and progressively
get a little harder as you go, but are very do-able for most people,
especially after you gain the experience in the early sections.

I built my tail section in 1/2 of our 2 car garage. After you join
it to the fuselage, you'll need to build probably in a 2 car garage
and at that point you're best off either hanging your wings on a
sidewall or storing them elsewhere. But if you get that 20x20'
area, you should be OK. Adding another 1-2' along one side would
give you plenty for pretty much anything.

Can't answer the builder assist question, but it seems like there
are a few good ones that might be worthwhile if you want to get
a fast start. Beware though that if you know you're going to
finish the kit, you probably should order all kit sections
at once if you go that route, because you're going to start needing
the wings soon, and those won't take you too long and you'll
need the fuselage. There's enough delay in getting those kit
sections that you'll need to think farther ahead.

There's nothing outstanding to be wary of. Do a very good job
of planning a realistic final cost, and plan the timeline and
budget to make sure you'll be able to meet the specified
costs. There is a lot of creep that can happen in the
estimate, so plan for it. It's nice to see builders take
on projects responsibly so they don't jeopardize anything of
major importance in their personal lives.

Good luck and you came to the right place to ask these
questions...this list is fantastic. Hope you get lots of
replies.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
Les Kearney wrote:
Quote:
Hi

* How difficult is it to follow the building instructions?
* How much space is required? My wife has graciously donated 2 of
the 3 bays in our garage (provided her car doesn’t winter
outside). I expect to have a 20’ x 20’ space available. Is this
sufficient for all but the final assembly?
* The Van info includes a flyer from AIR-CRAFTERS who operate a
build center. They suggest that I can build the -10 tail kit in 10
days at their facility after teaching me to do things right. Does
anyone have experience with this firm? Is this a worthwhile
investment?
* What things should a first time builder be wary of?
Cheers

Les Kearney

Alberta, Canada

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

millstees(at)ameritech.ne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

Hi Les:

I am currently building an RV-10. I have0 completed the tail and wings, and am just starting on the fuselage. I0 will attempt to answer your questions below:

• How difficult is it to follow the0 building instructions? The first section is very detailed, with indepth explainations0 of everything. Later it get much less detailed, and assumes you know the0 obvious information. All in all, it is very well written and0 illustrated.
  • How much space is0 required? My wife has graciously donated 2 of the 3 bays in our garage (provided her car doesn’t winter outside). I expect to have a 20’ x 20’ space0 available. Is this sufficient for all but the final assembly?0 I have a 3 car garage, and have0 built the tail and wings in 1 bay of the garage...I have the same agreement0 with my wife, her car is in the garage, and I store the finished wings in0 the other bay. I am about to expand into part of the second bay, as the0 fuselage grows.
  • The Van info includes0 a flyer from AIR-CRAFTERS who operate a build center. They suggest that I can0 build the -10 tail kit in 10 days at their facility after teaching me to do0 things right. Does anyone have experience with this firm? Is this a0 worthwhile investment? I don't know, however, I have heard good0 results from other builders. Van's has a tool box that you can purchase0 that is very good to practice on, you do all the different types of0 riveting. many people, my self included, just jump right in, and end up0 screwing-up the vertical stab skins, and re-doing0 them.
  • What things should a0 first time builder be wary of? Waiting to order your0 kit until after the first of the year, when prices go up. Don't buy anything0 until you are ready to install, especially electronics. Its very tempting, but you end up with outdated, overpriced stuff. Buy the RV0 tool kit from one of the tool companies, and a small band saw, and drill0 press.

Hope this helps..take a0 good look at Tim Olson's web page, which you can access through the Van's web0 site.

Steve0 Mills
404860 RV-10
Naperville, Illinois 630-308-7476 cell
working on0 fuselage
[quote] ---

jamcd(at)platinum.ca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

---

change99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New To The List Reply with quote

i went to Alexander Tech in Griffin GA and built my tail there in 7 days. i would recommend them very highly. They have built over 200 RV tails and 10+ RV10 tails. I learned a great deal and I think it was a quality job.

Change99
finishing tail cone
do not archive

LIKE2LOOP(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/3/2006 11:30:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,0 change99(at)centurytel.net writes:
i went0 to Alexander Tech in Griffin GA and built my tail there in 70 days[/quote]

Just HOW much did you build in 7 days???? The entire tail?????0 rudder, elevators and all?

DO NOT ARCHIVE

armywrights(at)adelphia.n

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

Part of what Tim Olson meant to me when he said to plan out your costs is that, for an RV-10, the demo ride is between $90-120k (US). :]]

I’ve been building in less than a 20x20 workshop. When I got my QB Wings and Fuse in, I had to store some of the tail sections in my rented hangar at the airport. When my finishing kit came in I bought some shelves for many parts, put the carton with the front seats on top of the dresser in the bedroom, and put the door skins and cowlings in the hangar. It’s amazing how much time you can spend just walking around your large parts in the shop in order to get a tool. Oh, my windshield and side windows are in the front hall in the house as well. This HAS to be a family undertaking!

With the level of detail that’s written into the plans I recommend as Rick(?) did that you buy Van’s toolbox practice kit, the RV tool kit from somewhere (Avery, Isham’s, Wicks, etc), get lots of insight from the list, and jump in with both feet. The hardest hole to drill and rivet to set are the first ones! Boil this statement down to say that if time is on your side, skip the build center. The tail kit section is where you really lay your personal skills down and the time invested here will pay dividends in later subkits. I know others will chime in saying the build centers really helped bolster their confidence so this obviously is merely from my perspective. I attended a SportAir workshop on general sheetmetal work before I started building. Besides some of the info papers they put out I really think I could have begun construction without the workshop, but only due to the level of detail in the plans.

Also as a first time builder, the biggest thing I try to be wary of is me. It’s easy to get bogged down on a task or think that there has to be a “perfect” way to do things. Also, everyone out there in this industry will try to sell you something that may or may not save money, increase performance, or lessen your build time. It’s up to you to wade through it and decide what you’ll want for your plane, and you just need to be comfortable with those choices. Once again this very active list will be more than happy to chime in and give its collective thoughts on anything you’d like.

Take a trip back to the matronics webpage and learn how to search the RV-10 archive as well as using the “D0 N0T ARCHlVE” string in your emails. There is SO much material in the archive. Most other questions past that point will be answered on Tim Olson’s webpage www.myrv10.com.

Rob Wright
Wings
Pick up engine tomorrow!

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Les Kearney
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 9:04 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: New To The List

Hi

I want to introduce my self to the -10 List.

During an evening discussion last week at KOSH, I was chatting with an acquaintance about homebuilt and how I want to build *something* *someday*. In past years I had looked at some of the plastic designs but I am a bit wary of putting a lot of time & money into these designs. My acquaintance suggested that I look at the RV-10.

To make a long story short, I was quite impressed with the aluminum design, match drilled quick build kit and performance specs of the -10. For the moment, my investment is limited to the info kits sold at the Van booth at KOSH. What I am doing is sorting out the logistics of building an a/c. This includes finding out what builder support is available locally and seeing what sheet metal courses are available at the local trade school. I am also researching Canadian building / inspection / certification requirements etc.

I do have a few questions for the list, questions that may help me decide if I want to take Van’s $30k demo ride.
  • How difficult is it to follow the building instructions?
  • How much space is required? My wife has graciously donated 2 of the 3 bays in our garage (provided her car doesn’t winter outside). I expect to have a 20’ x 20’ space available. Is this sufficient for all but the final assembly?
  • The Van info includes a flyer from AIR-CRAFTERS who operate a build center. They suggest that I can build the -10 tail kit in 10 days at their facility after teaching me to do things right. Does anyone have experience with this firm? Is this a worthwhile investment?
  • What things should a first time builder be wary of?

Cheers

Les Kearney
Alberta, Canada

Kellym

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

How far did you have to ship your completed tail, and how difficult was
the shipping?

change99 wrote:
Quote:

i went to Alexander Tech in Griffin GA and built my tail there in 7 days. i would recommend them very highly. They have built over 200 RV tails and 10+ RV10 tails. I learned a great deal and I think it was a quality job.

Change99
finishing tail cone
do not archive

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=52202#52202

ainut(at)hiwaay.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

you have a contact phone number for Alexander Tech, please?

Thanks,
David M.
LIKE2LOOP(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
In a message dated 8/3/2006 11:30:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
change99(at)centurytel.net writes:

i went to Alexander Tech in Griffin GA and built my tail there in
7 days

Just HOW much did you build in 7 days???? The entire tail?????
rudder, elevators and all?

DO NOT ARCHIVE

------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.

pascalreid(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

Les;
Not too long ago I was in the same predicament. I0 haven't started building yet, but I can tell you what I have0 discovered.
I've looked at the plans and if you take them and0 review them a few times before starting each step than start that step first in0 your mind how you'll do it than with the actual pieces you'll find that it is0 rather simple, if there is confusion initially you go to someone like Tim0 Olson's website http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/index.html and0 see how he explains that step.

2 Car garage should be plenty for the majority of0 the kits

I would suggest you take a Sportair course that0 will accomplish a couple of objectives
1) Is Sheet metal something you can see spending0 1000 plus hours working with?
2) Is kit building everything you hoped it is- ie0 do you understand the process, "gotchas" that may be encountered,0 etc
I have also heard there is a company in Oregon0 where the instructor is first rate - I don't know enough about this but I0 believe it maybe http://www.synergyair.com/

If you are looking to move this project along0 quickly Aircrafters is a good solution to get the tail built quickly and learn0 the foundation as you mentioned, you'll want to get the QB's as well0 then.

I gained much from my instructor, Dan Checkoway, in0 the Sportair course and highly recommend it.

What things should a first time0 builder be wary of?
1) 1300-1500 hours spent and maybe0 even consumed in this project
2) There are costs for tools, kits,0 insurance, hangar, fuel, and maintenance in general, all adds up to more than0 expected initially. Van's makes it that it's inexpensive for the first kit and0 the price doubles than quadriples as you move into the final kits for the0 fusellage and finishing kit. This is when the engine and avionics are0 being bought so expect that as you move along.

The RV-10 is a sweet flying0 aircraft. I was fortunate, a builder in California spent time talking to me and0 took me for a flight I will never forget, for his willingness to assist0 and help me go broke building this plane. This is a solid group of people. I0 would suggest looking for a fellow Canadian builder that will take you for a0 flight, if possible, just be prepared to know that you will go into overdrive to0 start wanting to build this plane after that experience.
My final advice is search the web0 for "RV-10", you'll find builders like Deems and Tim have excellent step by step0 pictures and descriptions, this will give you a really good sense of what is0 involved in building this plane.

Best of success in your research,0 and hopeful building. Do let us know how things work out.

Pascal

---

Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

I’m not sure if anyone else mentioned this but if you are a new builder, look for the nearest EAA chapter and introduce yourself. If you’re lucky, someone else will be building the same plane you are, if not, there is an incredible amount of talent and experience available. The guys will bend over backward to lend a hand, advice, whatever. If you need special tools, a bolt or rivet or just a helping hand on occasion it will be there. Additionally, I have made many new friends as well as built a RV-9A and halfway finished an RV-10. Oh, and be sure to ask them which primer is the best.
Albert Gardner
Yuma, AZ

Rick S.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

[*]How difficult is it to follow the building instructions?0 [*]Easy at first, little more thought required later on...still easy [*]How much space is required? [*]I did it in a 20 x 20 garage, no room for car after starting fuselage. [*]The Van info includes a flyer from AIR-CRAFTERS who operate a build center. They suggest that I can build the -10 tail kit in 10 days at their facility after teaching me to do things right. Does anyone have experience with this firm? No, We don't need no stinking classes!! Is this a worthwhile investment? Mighta saved me an extra trim tab. [*]What things should a first time builder be wary of? Nothing, take your time read the plans, cleco, study check twice drill once, dimples usually go in from the outside on the skins. Prime everything, no discussions on that. Buy a pneumatic squeezer. When you first talk of riveting make sure you emphasis the "B" in buck when you ask your wife to help you buck some rivets. You lose all but your really good friends but will make more here, Half your neighbors will think your crazy, just tell them it's a boat until the gear legs go on. Deburr's are not a football team from Chicago. Don't sell the plane when your done or everyone will beatup on you for being a greedy Canadian profiteer. Two ways to do things, the acceptable standards method aka "John Cox method" and the other method which is wrong and the one rivet you think is really OK is the golden rivet that will fail and the ship will fully delaminate and flutter to the ground.

Last Thing, it's a blast, totally rewarding, you will meet lots of intersting people without having to travel to foreign lands and kill them. Welcome aboard.
Rick S. 40185

jdalton77(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

Welcome! JUST DO IT! That's what I did0 - and I'm into the fuselage now and having a ball.

• How difficult is it0 to follow the building instructions?0
  • EASY! I'm not too mechanical and am having no problem. There are also tons of websites0 that can help you if you get stuck.
  • How much space is0 required? My wife has graciously donated 2 of the 3 bays in our garage (provided her car doesn’t winter outside). I expect to have a 20’ x 20’ space0 available. Is this sufficient for all but the final assembly?0
  • I'm doing mine in a 24x32'0 garage. I won't be able to put the wings on here. That'll have to0 happen in the hangar. I'm still debating if I'm going to paint it here0 or not. I am priming it in the garage though.
  • The Van info includes0 a flyer from AIR-CRAFTERS who operate a build center. They suggest that I can0 build the -10 tail kit in 10 days at their facility after teaching me to do0 things right. Does anyone have experience with this firm? Is this a0 worthwhile investment?0
  • I chose to build at home and0 completed the tail very quickly on my own. I know some people love the0 build center, but I think I would have missed out on a lot of interesting0 building if I had gone there.
  • What things should a0 first time builder be wary of?
  • You'll need lots of time, lot's of tools, and a very0 understanding family to get this done. You can get a lot of tools cheap0 at Harbor Freight, but some of them you'll need the real thing and they aint0 cheap.

BY THE WAY, IT'S A $40,000 test ride and that's before the engine and0 avionics (includes $5k in stuff you'll need just to put the tail together . .0 .
[list] [*] [*]---

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

Rick, you really liked that ol' Golden Rivet comment from
way back, didn't you. Wink

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive

>Two
Quote:
ways to do things, the acceptable standards method aka "John Cox method"
and the other method which is wrong and the one rivet you think is
really OK is the golden rivet that will fail and the ship will fully
delaminate and flutter to the ground.

Rick S.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

Heh heh...yup.

I related it to the golden BB that fighter jocks were always worried about.

You got this nifty stealth fighter but when the sky is full of triple A, some gunner might just get lucky, hence the golden BB.

Rick S.

do not archive

LarryRosen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: New To The List Reply with quote

I went to the quick build tail class at Alexender Tech center. It was a
great learning experience and with their assistance I completed the Tail
and Empennage in 2 weeks. You can see photos of my build here
<http://lrosen.nerv10.com/Construct/Log/Emp/Alexander/index.html>

Larry Rosen
Quote:

* The Van info includes a flyer from AIR-CRAFTERS who operate a
build center. They suggest that I can build the -10 tail kit in
10 days at their facility after teaching me to do things right.
Does anyone have experience with this firm? Is this a
worthwhile investment?

N205EN (reserved)
<http>
lcaune(at)cablelan.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: New to the list Reply with quote

Les

I am a builder from Kelowna working on the doors at present. I am an
AME-M and an AME-S teaching aircraft structures for BCIT. If you
ever get out this way I'll give you a mini start-up course which will
safely get you started on this great project. Drop by or call Len
250-766-5456.

kearney(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: New to the list Reply with quote

Hi Len

Many thanks for the very kind offer - I just may make my way out to Kelowna
to see your project. I have made contact with NAIT to see if they have a
programme that will work with my schedule. I would like to take a course in
metal work as I have never done this before.

I have also been toying with taking a SportAir course or perhaps even trying
one of the builder assist centers for the empennage. I would guess that
after 8-10 days of intense work, I should acquire most of the skills
required to complete the airframe. Fiberglass will be another thing!

Cheers

Les Kearney
Edmonton, Alberta
(780) 707-0169

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: