Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stall Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhkey(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

Say I had a stall warning device on my wing that went off at 40 mph. Then
lets say I turned downwind to base at a 75% degree turn at 55mph. I would
stall because of the increased G loads but would the stall warning device go
off?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

David, Seems like a "how long is a piece of string" question. The simple answer is no, if it's set for 40 it won't go off at 55. If it's an impact device like an airspeed indicator in reverse, 55 knots worth of air molecules would keep the device from triggering. With a little clever engineering you could add a sliding door or similar way to close down the opening so that at 55 and 2G's you get only 40 knots worth of air molecules and the device triggers.
Fun thought experiment, thanks.

Rick

On 9/4/06, David Key <dhkey(at)msn.com (dhkey(at)msn.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "David Key" <dhkey(at)msn.com (dhkey(at)msn.com)>

Say I had a stall warning device on my wing that went off at 40 mph. Then
lets say I turned downwind to base at a 75% degree turn at 55mph. I would

--
Rick Girard
"Ya'll drop on in"
takes on a whole new meaning
when you live at the airport. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

David,

The simple answer is yes. If your stall warning is a true angle of
attack indicator and not a mere airspeed warning.

On Sep 4, 2006, at 11:13 PM, David Key wrote:

Quote:

Say I had a stall warning device on my wing that went off at 40
mph. Then lets say I turned downwind to base at a 75% degree turn
at 55mph. I would stall because of the increased G loads but would
the stall warning device go off?

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

David,
Stalls are a function of Angle of Attack not airspeed. If it truly is an AA indicator it will measure the angle of attack vs airspeed. On a Cub it is as simple as the bottom half of the door if it is open.

Or so I was taught by my Old Mentor.

Steve
[quote][b]

dhkey(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

So are you saying that it will stall or not? I'm talking about the little
metal thing that yes measures the AOA
Quote:
Reply-To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Stall Question
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:20:45 EDT

David,
Stalls are a function of Angle of Attack not airspeed. If it truly is an AA
indicator it will measure the angle of attack vs airspeed. On a Cub it is
as
simple as the bottom half of the door if it is open.

Or so I was taught by my Old Mentor.

Steve

Russ Kinne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

DavidThe little metal thingie measures the wind coming across the leading edge -- if the wing is near a stall the apparent wind will push it up, and it will beep. Or blink.    AT ANY AIRSPEED    -- and the wing will stall if you go any slower.  It does measure AOA and that's what you need to monitor. Cub doors work great!
Russ
do not archive

On Sep 5, 2006, at 12:16 PM, David Key wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "David Key" <dhkey(at)msn.com (dhkey(at)msn.com)>
So are you saying that it will stall or not? I'm talking about the little metal thing that yes measures the AOA

Quote:
Reply-To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Stall Question
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:20:45 EDT
David,
Stalls are a function of Angle of Attack not airspeed. If it truly is an AA
indicator it will measure the angle of attack vs airspeed. On a Cub it is as
simple as the bottom half of the door if it is open.
Or so I was taught by my Old  Mentor.
Steve

- The Kolb-List Email Forum -
  -->
              - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
  -->               - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
  -->             - List Contribution Web Site -
  Thank you for your generous support!
                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
-->
[b]

Ed in JXN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

Hi All,

I can't emphasize enough how the 'tab-type' stall warning indicator is NOT an angle-of-attack (AOA) device. It works on slower GA-type aircraft in a narrow airspeed range. The fact it works in a turn is more indicative of its error range than its accuracy.

True AOA uses a computer and factors in weight, air density, wing configuration (flap position), and possibly other factors. It works great, even in bumpy air.

If the tab thingy worked, wouldn't some type of yarn also work at the right location? If it worked as previously stated, we'd see it on Falcons, Gulfstreams, etc. one would think.

Sorry, not trying to flame but want to see more accurate info posted.

Ed in JXN
MkII/503

[quote] ---

Russ Kinne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

I stand corrected  -- sort of. The little metal tab-thingie WORKS AS  an AOA indicator, at the speeds Kolbs fly; and can be trusted to warn you of an impending stall. I don't think we need a super-accurate, computer-controlled AOA indicator, though of course it's more accurate -- Yarn probably would work IF you kept your eye on it and nothing else. I doubt it would last long on Falcons & Gulfstreams.  
A light and/or horn is much more practical -- IMHORuss Kinne
do not archive

On Sep 5, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Ed Chmielewski wrote:
[quote] Hi All,

I can't emphasize enough how the 'tab-type' stall warning indicator is NOT an angle-of-attack (AOA) device.  It works on slower GA-type aircraft in a narrow airspeed range.  The fact it works in a turn is more indicative of its error range than its accuracy.

True AOA uses a computer and factors in weight, air density, wing configuration (flap position), and possibly other factors.  It works great, even in bumpy air.

If the tab thingy worked, wouldn't some type of yarn also work at the right location?  If it worked as previously stated, we'd see it on Falcons, Gulfstreams, etc. one would think.

Sorry, not trying to flame but want to see more accurate info posted.

Ed in JXN
MkII/503

[quote] ---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

|I stand corrected -- sort of. The little metal tab-thingie WORKS AS
| an AOA indicator, at the speeds Kolbs fly; and can be trusted to
warn
| you of an impending stall. I don't think we need a super-accurate,
| computer-controlled AOA indicator, though of course it's more
| accurate --
| Russ Kinne

Russ:

What are you basing your Kolb experience on?

Don't need another gadget on my Kolb.

Found out, early on, Kolbs stall if you get below the stall speed.

Also found out, at the same time, the ground is extremely hard and
unforgiving.

Through experience, demonstrating the MKIII, back in the good old
days, it was extremely difficult, and most of the time, impossible to
get the MKIII into an accelerated stall, intentionally. Once in a
while, with a rather large passenger, I could get it to fall through
an extremely tight turn. However, as soon as it was detected, it
could as quickly be gotten out of it.

Take care,

john h
mkIII (that needs airspeed to prevent stalls)

Titus, Alabama
Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

In a message dated 9/5/2006 10:03:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com writes:
Quote:
Through experience, demonstrating the MKIII, back in the good old
days, it was extremely difficult, and most of the time, impossible to
get the MKIII into an accelerated stall, intentionally. john h.
That makes sense John. When I first started flying the Fire on floats turns felts odd and I had a tendency to "milk
' around a turn with a shallow bank and too much rudder. Bryan M. saw this from the ground and recommended that I try this: Drop the nose a bit, rock in about 45 deg of bank and Haul Back on the stick. The airplane turns on a dime with no tendency to stall. It feels a lot like doing a hook turn on a slalom ski around a float. Why does a Kolb do this and most other AC do not?

steve b

[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

| Drop the nose a bit, rock in
| about 45 deg of bank and Haul Back on the stick. The airplane turns
on a dime
| with no tendency to stall. It feels a lot like doing a hook turn on
a slalom
| ski around a float. Why does a Kolb do this and most other AC do
not?
|
|
| steve b

Steve B:

I don't know about airplanes, but this is how we turn helicopters in a
hard banking turn. We turn the helicopter with aft cyclic and the
Kolb with elevator. I don't have enough experience flying other fixed
wing aircraft to comment on how they fly. A few hours in a 152 to get
a private ticket 16 years ago is the extent of my "other" fixed wing
type experience. Got a few hours playing with Kolbs though. Wink

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

Thanks John.
After thinking about it, I'm going to guess that it has to do with a short fat low aspect wing mated with low mass. This is probably a situation where the low mass works for you.

BTW, I have seen you do this maneuver at low airspeeds and low altitudes. Its a cool turn.

steve b.
[quote][b]

Ed in JXN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

Hi Russ,

I believe it would be more accurate (and safer) to refer to it as a stall warning indicator or stall tab, which is all it is. It really has no function as an AOA, even though it sounds good. It doesn't get any info (weight, air density, etc.) to act as an AOA.

Even in turns, they're notoriously unreliable. Go off in turbulence, don't go off at certain times when they should. They're on lots of the GA aircraft I fly, singles and twins, and are the LAST thing I believe for aviating info.

Ed in JXN

[quote] ---

Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

"John Hauck" wrote: << Through experience, demonstrating the MKIII, it was
extremely difficult to get the MKIII into an accelerated stall,
intentionally. Once in a while, with a rather large passenger, I could get
it to fall through an extremely tight turn. >>

I have discovered that my Mark-III has a very effective, built-in stall
warning device. It is the "growl" you hear when, just prior to the stall,
the separated, turbulent airflow comes off the wing and goes through the
prop. Impossible to ignore.

This pre-stall growl happens in straight-ahead stalls (especially with power
on), and in banked, accelerated stalls (especially with a passenger).
Accompanying this pre-stall growl is a slight bobbing of the nose. Fly any
slower (or bank any steeper), and the plane will stall. Gotta love an
airplane that "talks" to you so clearly!

Dennis Kirby
912ul, 58 hrs
New Mexico

APilot(at)webtv.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

My Mark III Classic has a noise or a growl, but I thought that it was
cavitation of the prop. Maybe not.

Russ Kinne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Stall Question Reply with quote

EdThanx reply, but I tend to argue that the metal tab that's always been a called 'stall warning indicator', "has no function as an AOA indicator". 
The AOA is a measure of how the Apparent Wind hits the leading edge of the wing. At high AOA's the airflow will move up across the LE, pushing the tab up & sounding horn or lighting light. You of course know all this. But it does usually work.
Sure, it's lo-tech and doesn't take into account weight, wing configuration, air density, other factors, which affect the airspeed at which the AOA will change -- but IMHO it IS a crude way to know when the AOA changes enough to push up the little metal tab, and to warn the pilot of an impending stall. 
Yes, it's unreliable, gives false negatives and false positives, and I don't trust it any more than you do; but I doubt any Kolber is going to install a much more complicated and much more accurate system. I even wore out the horn once, C-170.
Another possibility would be a vane and indicator-arc but it would probably have to be mounted below and in front of the leading edge, would be fragile and I doubt worth the trouble. 
But knowing AOA somehow is vital to safe flying.
Russ in CT

On Sep 6, 2006, at 10:55 AM, Ed Chmielewski wrote:
[quote] Hi Russ,

I believe it would be more accurate (and safer) to refer to it as a stall warning indicator or stall tab, which is all it is.  It really has no function as an AOA, even though it sounds good.  It doesn't get any info (weight, air density, etc.) to act as an AOA.

Even in turns, they're notoriously unreliable.  Go off in turbulence, don't go off at certain times when they should.  They're on lots of the GA aircraft I fly, singles and twins, and are the LAST thing I believe for aviating info.

Ed in JXN

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: