Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manual or electric trim?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nealscherm(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Manual or electric trim? Reply with quote

Hey All,
I am working on the manual trim on my series 7 and am not particularly satisfied with the arrangement. I had a Vixen before and I liked the electric trim it used. I am at a point were I could go with either one.
Any sugesstions or recomendations? I know there was a problem with the early actuators breaking, but did anyone find one that was satisfactory?
All opinions appreciated,
Neal
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Manual or electric trim? Reply with quote

I take it you are talking about elevator trim.

There are several GA planes some what similar to the 'Fox that use manual trim tabs... The Champ and Super Cub come to mind. They just use a push pull cable similar to a throttle cable only much lighter to adjust the tab by means of a bell crank on the tab itself.

Electric trim is a nice selling point but personally I consider it unnecessary complication.

Noel [quote]
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

aldaniels(at)fmtcblue.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Manual or electric trim? Reply with quote

I have built and flown with both trim systems. The 7 trim works well,
but requires a bit more back pressure due to the weight and mechanism.
One of John's flap interlink systems takes care of that if it is a
problem. The manual system is faster to use, but can be a little hard to
fine tune the trim in flight. There is a little friction in the system,
but once you get used to it you will really like it. The electric works
great also. Weight is about the same, manual is a little more complex to
install. On the manual system I have found that the front adjustment
that replaces the electric ram on the manual system needs to be adjusted
to the short end of the adjustment range for best and fastest flight. We
did all sorts of test to see where the trim tab was in relation to the
elevator. The simplest way to quick check it is to put a piece of tape
next to the trim lever and mark were it is in normal cruise flight. Then
when back on the ground return the trim lever to were you marked it and
then hold the elevator to neutral and see were the tab is. You will want
to make changes and see were you like it best. This is part of that 40
hour test thing. Bottom line for me is that both trim systems are good.
I would use whichever system I had and would be happy with it. If you
need an elevator for the electric system I have a spare.

nealscherm(at)comcast.net wrote:
Quote:
Hey All,
I am working on the manual trim on my series 7 and am not particularly
satisfied with the arrangement. I had a Vixen before and I liked the
electric trim it used. I am at a point were I could go with either one.
Any sugesstions or recomendations? I know there was a problem with the
early actuators breaking, but did anyone find one that was satisfactory?
Neal

ruebd(at)skymail.csus.edu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Manual or electric trim? Reply with quote

Neal:

I am flying a type 5 with Continental IO-240 pulling, and have the electric trim. I find it to be a good system with the addition of the “help me Joe” kit offered by the McBeans. Without the kit, my airplane required too much back pressure on approaches for good control balance, mostly due to the heavy engine and lack of aerodynamic servo in elevator. This was with full trim in.
  I wouldn’t be too concerned about failure of the actuator, if you get the right one, which the McBeans can help you with. Just don’t over oil the ball bearing on the brush end of the motor, as this will cause the motor to become balky due to carbon build up on the commutator segments. The main part of the actuator is lifetime lubed, and if you keep the O ring in good condition, you will enjoy good reliable operation for many years. At cruise speeds the trim is touchy, and you will find that very brief pulsing of the switch is all that is required, but when setting up for approach, it will be less twitchy, and on my plane, will neutralize the back pressure with one notch of flap, and almost do it with two notches.
  When I saw someone building a type 7 using the tab trim, and fixing the stabilizer with a rod where the actuator would be, it occurred to me to consider both systems. Yes, why not? This would give the ability to tune the plane perfectly for however it is loaded, and certainly give enough trim range for any situation. Yes, I know, this also means that the pilots will need to be aware of the set up, and to take care not to get beyond what makes sense for the situation. When cruising, adjust the electric trim so that the tab trim is neutral. This should result in the lowest drag configuration for the horizontal feathers in back, and would certainly allow for setting the angle of incidence of the horizontal surfaces to the ideal setting for the airplane and its loading. Yes, I know, these little planes are not so fast as to need a great deal of tuning, but why not give yourself the chance to tune it in the air since it would be so easy to do?

Duane

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of nealscherm(at)comcast.net
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 2:47 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Manual or electric trim?

Hey All,

I am working on the manual trim on my series 7 and am not particularly satisfied with the arrangement. I had a Vixen before and I liked the electric trim it used. I am at a point were I could go with either one.

Any sugesstions or recomendations? I know there was a problem with the early actuators breaking, but did anyone find one that was satisfactory?

Neal
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: