Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hydraulic brakes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Quote:
I am considering changing to a Hydraulic system for my Firestar ll. I have looked at O'brian and Black Max so far. The only problem is that I want two hand operation. ( individual braking) It appears that will run about $500 bucks or more. Somehow I hate to do that, but still might depending on the feed back I can get from those using hydraulic braking. BCC is fine - lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)  I only want to do this once, and I hate buyer remorse.

Larry 
--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Larry,

I have the Black Max setup on my Firefly. Individual toe brakes though, not a hand brake. This included the wheels and tires and was purchased as an option when I bought the kit.

Some people say you don’t need brakes at all and especially not individual brakes on the Firefly.  As a general rule I don’t use them much. However, it is nice to be able to keep the engine RPM up and still taxi at a reasonable speed on pavement or not move at all.

Occasionally I use them to help on a turn, although without a swiveling tail wheel like you have the effect is not as noticeable. I am not sure how you would rig the dual hand levers for individual brakes. One lever on the stick and one on the throttle? J

Anyway, I have no regrets getting the Black Max setup. Easy to install and simple in design.

Stuart

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Cottrell
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 2:11 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Hydraulic brakes?
Quote:

I am considering changing to a Hydraulic system for my Firestar ll. I have looked at O'brian and Black Max so far. The only problem is that I want two hand operation. ( individual braking) It appears that will run about $500 bucks or more. Somehow I hate to do that, but still might depending on the feed back I can get from those using hydraulic braking. BCC is fine - lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com) I only want to do this once, and I hate buyer remorse.

Larry

--

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. After checking I may have to forego the dual hand brakes and stick with heel brakes. It would run about $550 for two separate systems. I am using mechanical heel brakes now, and may have to stick with that.

If you have not already braced the tail post on you fly, you should really consider it.
Thanks again,
Larry
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Larry,

I have the Black Max setup on my Firefly. Individual toe brakes though, not a hand brake. This included the wheels and tires and was purchased as an option when I bought the kit.

Some people say you don’t need brakes at all and especially not individual brakes on the Firefly.  As a general rule I don’t use them much. However, it is nice to be able to keep the engine RPM up and still taxi at a reasonable speed on pavement or not move at all.

Occasionally I use them to help on a turn, although without a swiveling tail wheel like you have the effect is not as noticeable. I am not sure how you would rig the dual hand levers for individual brakes. One lever on the stick and one on the throttle? J

Anyway, I have no regrets getting the Black Max setup. Easy to install and simple in design.

Stuart

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Larry Cottrell
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

Quote:

I am considering changing to a Hydraulic system for my Firestar ll. I have looked at O'brian and Black Max so far. The only problem is that I want two hand operation. ( individual braking) It appears that will run about $500 bucks or more. Somehow I hate to do that, but still might depending on the feed back I can get from those using hydraulic braking. BCC is fine - lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)  I only want to do this once, and I hate buyer remorse.

Larry 

--

--

Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

you can save most of that 550 dollars by using Mtn bike disc brakes...either hydraulic or mechanical...Gotta be a bit mechanically inclined...will need to make a couple of spools that attach the disc to the rim...and a couple of adapter plates that attach the caliper to the large washer that is welded to the axle...  I found my mechanical versions at the salvage yard...for maybe 5 bucks....   Requires some design work...but was a good two day project...

Ebay has both styles...Herb

On 02/28/2016 06:11 PM, Larry Cottrell wrote:

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. After checking I may have to forego the dual hand brakes and stick with heel brakes. It would run about $550 for two separate systems. I am using mechanical heel brakes now, and may have to stick with that.

If you have not already braced the tail post on you fly, you should really consider it.

Thanks again,
Larry

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Larry,

Stuart

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Larry Cottrell

Quote:

I am considering changing to a Hydraulic system for my Firestar ll. I have looked at O'brian and Black Max so far. The only problem is that I want two hand operation. ( individual braking) It appears that will run about $500 bucks or more. Somehow I hate to do that, but still might depending on the feed back I can get from those using hydraulic braking. BCC is fine - [url=mailto:lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com]lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)[/url]  I only want to do this once, and I hate buyer remorse.

Larry 

--

--

--
Signature text; Fort Marcy Park? Sure...Mr. Foster...Third red light and turn left.

west1m

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

I put the Black Max hydraulic brakes on my firefly. I use a dual hand control by the throttle. Quite handy, no regrets.

Brakes.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.59 KB
 Viewed:  15895 Time(s)

Brakes.JPG

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Do you remember the cost for dual controls?Larry
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 8:59 PM, west1m <west1m(at)hotmail.com (west1m(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "west1m" <west1m(at)hotmail.com (west1m(at)hotmail.com)>

I put the Black Max hydraulic brakes on my firefly. I use a dual hand control by the throttle. Quite handy, no regrets.

--------
West1m
Hastings, MN

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453278#453278

===========
br> fts!)
r> > w.buildersbooks.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
===========

--

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Yeah, that is on my “to do” list for this spring before flying season.  I haven’t settled on exactly how to do it yet. Also need to cut out all the inspection holes and have a real good look-see inside. About 15 hours in the air, I figure it is about time for a new bird. Many other “little details” to attend too as well. Weather is getting better every day…

Stuart

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Cottrell
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:11 PM
Subject: Re: Hydraulic brakes?

Thanks again,

Larry

Larry,

Some people say you don’t need brakes at all and especially not individual brakes on the Firefly. As a general rule I don’t use them much. However, it is nice to be able to keep the engine RPM up and still taxi at a reasonable speed on pavement or not move at all.

Stuart

Quote:

I am considering changing to a Hydraulic system for my Firestar ll. I have looked at O'brian and Black Max so far. The only problem is that I want two hand operation. ( individual braking) It appears that will run about $500 bucks or more. Somehow I hate to do that, but still might depending on the feed back I can get from those using hydraulic braking. BCC is fine - lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com) I only want to do this once, and I hate buyer remorse.

Larry

--

--

west1m

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

I don't recall the cost, they came from Black Max.
Expensive but I wanted brakes flying off the blacktop all the time.
lcottrell wrote:
Do you remember the cost for dual controls?Larry
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 8:59 PM, west1m <west1m> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "west1m" <west1m>

--------
West1m
Hastings, MN

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453278#453278

===========
br> fts!)
r> > w.buildersbooks.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
===========
b Site -
===========

--

Thumper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Larry

Try these for dual hydraulic hand brake actuators. I did something similar on my old Firestar with the levers just in front of the seat between my legs. I used Mt Bike brakes but this would work. This is similar to what we had on a drifter in my hangar at one time and it worked excellent. And lots less than 500. Maybe buy the throttle like the one picture as part of this subject. Shop around for the best price on 5" or 7" levers. Hagar is the brand. Good Luck and I'll get out that way sometime.

https://www.cps-parts.com/categories/aircraft_parts/ap/menus/lg/masterbrakecylinders_hegar.html

Hagar Dual master cylinder..jpg
 Description:
Dual hydraulic brake master cylinders.
 Filesize:  5.97 KB
 Viewed:  15828 Time(s)

Hagar Dual master cylinder..jpg

Previously Kolb Mark IIIC, 94 Firestar, 84 Ultrastar.
1200+hours since 1/1/2009
victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

If your feet could bounce off the pedals in a rough field, then make a little loop out of nylon webbing (from a broken ratchet strap or something) and tie it to the pedal. Put your foot into this loop and use it like a stirrup. Adjust the size and location of the loop so that it only goes around your toes, so it cannot trip you getting out of the cockpit. Tie it to the pedal system in a location that allows you to move your foot to activate the brakes.

Problem solved, cost zero.
Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

--------------------------------------------
On Mon, 2/29/16, west1m <west1m(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Date: Monday, February 29, 2016, 6:49 AM

"west1m" <west1m(at)hotmail.com>

Expensive but I wanted brakes flying off the blacktop all
the time.

lcottrell wrote:
> Do you remember the cost for dual controls?Larry
>
>
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 8:59 PM, west1m  wrote:
>
> >
> > 
> >  I put the Black Max hydraulic brakes on my
firefly. I use a dual hand control by the throttle. Quite
handy, no regrets.
> > 
> >  --------
> >  West1m
> >  Hastings, MN
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> >  Read this topic online here:
> > 
> >  http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453278#453278
(http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453278#453278)
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> >  ===========
> >  br> fts!)
> >  r> > w.buildersbooks.com"
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
> >  rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
> >            -Matt Dralle, List
Admin.
> >  ===========
> >  -List" rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
> >  ===========
> >   FORUMS -
> >  eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
> >  ===========
> >  b Site -
> >            -Matt Dralle, List
Admin.
> >  rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
> >  ===========
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
>
>
>
>
> --
> The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who
are intolerant.
>
>
> If you forward this email, or any part of it, please
remove my email address before sending.

--------
West1m
Hastings, MN

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453285#453285

Lists This Month --
Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!)
Raiser.  Click on
more about
Gifts provided
www.buildersbooks.com
              -Matt
Dralle, List Admin.
Forum -
   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
List Contribution Web Site -
              -Matt
Dralle, List Admin.

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

If it's that rough your tires aren't on the ground either.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Feb 29, 2016, at 12:45 PM, Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

If your feet could bounce off the pedals in a rough field, then make a little loop out of nylon webbing (from a broken ratchet strap or something) and tie it to the pedal. Put your foot into this loop and use it like a stirrup. Adjust the size and location of the loop so that it only goes around your toes, so it cannot trip you getting out of the cockpit. Tie it to the pedal system in a location that allows you to move your foot to activate the brakes.

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

On Mon, 2/29/16, west1m <west1m(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Date: Monday, February 29, 2016, 6:49 AM

"west1m" <west1m(at)hotmail.com>

Expensive but I wanted brakes flying off the blacktop all
the time.

lcottrell wrote:
> Do you remember the cost for dual controls?Larry
>
>
>> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 8:59 PM, west1m wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> I put the Black Max hydraulic brakes on my
firefly. I use a dual hand control by the throttle. Quite
handy, no regrets.
>>
>> --------
>> West1m
>> Hastings, MN
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453278#453278
(http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453278#453278)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ===========
>> br> fts!)
>> r> > w.buildersbooks.com"
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
>> rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
>> Â Â Â Â Â -Matt Dralle, List
Admin.
>> ===========
>> -List" rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
>> ===========
>> FORUMS -
>> eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
>> ===========
>> b Site -
>> Â Â Â Â Â -Matt Dralle, List
Admin.
>> rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
>> ===========
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> --
> The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who
are intolerant.
>
>
> If you forward this email, or any part of it, please
remove my email address before sending.

--------
West1m
Hastings, MN

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=453285#453285

Lists This Month --
Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!)
Raiser. Click on
more about
Gifts provided
www.buildersbooks.com
-Matt
Dralle, List Admin.
Forum -
- MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
List Contribution Web Site -
-Matt
Dralle, List Admin.

GeoB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Quote:
I used 2 brake handles on the control stick and I can activate either
side or both at the same time with just my fingers.

Thanks for your post and idea! I have been wondering if I should use
separate levers on my conversion. I have mtn bike disc brakes mounted, but
the caliper mounts are not done.

I was thinking about putting one brake lever on the left of the seat and
one on the stick. But as I read your post I visualized both on the stick,
maybe reversed so the handle ends are adjacent to each other. Dunno, maybe
it would work. How are yours mounted?

"Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors"
neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

I can't imagine having to worry about my feet bouncing off the rudder pedals or brakes. I like heal brake pedals because they don't stress the rudder cables and you aren't near as likely to inadvertently apply the brakes. Hand brakes????
I have Matco brakes I like the design but mine are a bit low on braking power. Kolb's old demonstrator, Fat Albert had Matco brakes and it had four times the braking power. I had to be very careful using them because I'm so used to standing on mine.
Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC 

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)>

Bill Berle
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Rick
do you know why fat Albert's brakes were so much better?    did it have the 2 puck calipers.  or a better mechanical advantage?
Boyd On Mar 1, 2016 1:24 PM, "Rick Neilsen" <neilsenrm(at)gmail.com (neilsenrm(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I can't imagine having to worry about my feet bouncing off the rudder pedals or brakes. I like heal brake pedals because they don't stress the rudder cables and you aren't near as likely to inadvertently apply the brakes. Hand brakes????
I have Matco brakes I like the design but mine are a bit low on braking power. Kolb's old demonstrator, Fat Albert had Matco brakes and it had four times the braking power. I had to be very careful using them because I'm so used to standing on mine.
Rick Neilsen

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Bill Berle <victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net (victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.net)>

Bill Berle

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Using my mech brakes I came up with this and it worked very well. I found it much easier to control my plane with these and using the rudders. They at least were always positive, where as I find it difficult sometimes to get my feet where I want them and use the rudders as well. Perhaps I am just clumsy!

I had to do a bit of welding, but it worked just fine.
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 4:33 AM, George Bearden <gab16(at)sbcglobal.net (gab16(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "George Bearden" <gab16(at)sbcglobal.net (gab16(at)sbcglobal.net)>

>  I used 2 brake handles on the control stick and I can activate either
side or both at the same time with just my fingers.

Thanks for your post and idea! I have been wondering if I should use
separate levers on my conversion. I have mtn bike disc brakes mounted, but
the caliper mounts are not done.

I was thinking about putting one brake lever  on the left of the seat and
one on the stick. But as I read your post I visualized both on the stick,
maybe reversed so the handle ends are adjacent to each other. Dunno, maybe
it would work. How are yours mounted?

===========
br> fts!)
===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
b Site -
===========

--

brake_levers.1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  359.56 KB
 Viewed:  15776 Time(s)

brake_levers.1.JPG

brake_levers.2JPG.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  304.5 KB

brake_levers.2JPG.JPG

brake_levers.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  379.3 KB

brake_levers.JPG

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Looks like their are all sorts of ways to skin this cat. Here is how we did it in the FSII: instead of pulling back you push down. (Did it this way because it was easier to weld in the brackets and make everything fit. Bleeding the air out is a pain tho...)
http://oh2fly.net/oldpoops/Panel.htm

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
patrickjladd(at)hotmail.c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

“feet bouncing off the rudder pedals or brakes. I like heal brake pedals..”

I remember the CFI at my Gliding Club pulling the horn off the rudder of a glider which had heel operated rudder pedals through a rough landing run. The forces involved in a rough run are considerable. I flew with a plaster cast on and punched a hole in the cockpit floor through banging up and down on a rough take off run.

Pat

Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Hydraulic brakes?

Rick Neilsen

Quote:

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Pat
We are talking about Kolb airplanes. Also not recommended that one is on the brake peddles until after landing.
Rick Neilsen
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Patrick Ladd <patrickjladd(at)hotmail.com (patrickjladd(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
“feet bouncing off the rudder pedals or brakes. I like heal brake pedals..”

I remember the CFI at my Gliding Club pulling the horn off the rudder of a glider which had heel operated rudder pedals through a rough landing run. The forces involved in a rough run are considerable. I flew with a plaster cast on and punched a hole in the cockpit floor through banging up and down on a rough take off run.

Pat 

Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Hydraulic brakes?

Rick Neilsen

Quote:

Bill Berle
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Boyd
I have asked myself that question many times. No I don't think it had the it had the 2 puck calipers or more mechanical advantage. I think the brake disk is a different material, mine don't rust (likely stainless) or the brake pads are less abrasive.???????
Rick Neilsen
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 3:49 PM, B Young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Rick
do you know why fat Albert's brakes were so much better?    did it have the 2 puck calipers.  or a better mechanical advantage?
Boyd On Mar 1, 2016 1:24 PM, "Rick Neilsen" <neilsenrm(at)gmail.com (neilsenrm(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Rick Neilsen

Quote:

Bill Berle

Thumper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic brakes? Reply with quote

Here is my MT bike brake handles for my Firestar I that I installed before selling. Pull one or the other, or the cable loop for both. worked good for me.

100_3394.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  768.24 KB
 Viewed:  15669 Time(s)

100_3394.JPG

100_3393.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  791.52 KB
 Viewed:  15669 Time(s)

100_3393.JPG

Previously Kolb Mark IIIC, 94 Firestar, 84 Ultrastar.
1200+hours since 1/1/2009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: