Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight training in homebuilt -update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airvair601(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Flight training in homebuilt -update Reply with quote

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]--> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} <![endif]-->

Thanks for all the answers.

I think I have a good feel for the rules and how to comply.

We are building the panel for nighttime VFR and have the minimum equipment list.

What I had not thought of was the instrument requirements for flight training.

I don’t have the latest version of practical test standard for the USA for PPSEL.

We currently have no vacuum instruments planned, but could easily modify this at the current stage of building.
We have an electric - dog house- turn and bank and whiskey compass. One com and transponder (mod C), no nav.

We could acquire a venturi driven AI and DG for about the cost of renting another plane for a few hours.
If I recall the instrument requirements dealt with unusual attitudes and getting in and out of Class C airspace.
Keep in mind the goal is to get a PPSEL rating to be able to fly daytime VFR on cloudless days.
We know our personal limits and are trying to comply with the regs in a cost effective fashion.

The good news is one of us has a PPSEL rating and we can always fly to the best instructor/examiner situation etc.
Does anyone know what the current test standards are and what experience you need with regard to instruments?

Is it up to the instructor's discretion that you prove something?

Like unusual attitudes or does it require flight experience with specific instruments?

I guess you can’t get license with a J3 club like the old days.
Ain’t technology grand.

Phill Hartig

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
BobCollins

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Flight training in homebuilt -update Reply with quote

Phill,
I got my PPSEL in a Citabria 7ECA which only had an "dog house- turn and
bank and whiskey compass", and a radio with a nav (GPS). I am quite sure
you don't need more than this for the unusual attitudes part of the
test. I do believe that you will need some kind of nav though.

Bob Collins
Sunnyvale CA USA
601corvair wrote:
Quote:

We are building the panel for nighttime VFR and have the minimum
equipment list.

What I had not thought of was the instrument requirements for flight
training.

I don’t have the latest version of practical test standard for the USA
for PPSEL.

We currently have no vacuum instruments planned, but could easily
modify this at the current stage of building.

We have an electric - dog house- turn and bank and whiskey compass.
One com and transponder (mod C), no nav.

We could acquire a venturi driven AI and DG for about the cost of
renting another plane for a few hours.

If I recall the instrument requirements dealt with unusual attitudes
and getting in and out of Class C airspace.

Keep in mind the goal is to get a PPSEL rating to be able to fly
daytime VFR on cloudless days.

We know our personal limits and are trying to comply with the regs in
a cost effective fashion.

The good news is one of us has a PPSEL rating and we can always fly to
the best instructor/examiner situation etc.

Does anyone know what the current test standards are and what
experience you need with regard to instruments?

Like unusual attitudes or does it require flight experience with
specific instruments?

Ain’t technology grand.
Phill Hartig

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dkbrooks(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Flight training in homebuilt -update Reply with quote

I know this isn't really a home-built answer, but I do know people who are currently pursuing their private pilot license in a 1947 J3 cub that has no electrical system, no radios, a cork-on-a-stick fuel gauge, not even an electric starter (you do have to find an examiner that can hand-prop the plane - not too hard around here).  I believe the student ends up with a PPSEL license with limitations, but it can be done. 

I am currently after my Sport Pilot license in the same plane - I will "step up" to the 172 for the radio work, radio-nav, night flight, etc. for the PP as soon as I am done the the SP license.  Is this the long way around?  Sure, but the idea of taking the check ride and getting my first license in the Cub is just too romantic and silly to pass up.  How many people get to take a check ride in a Cub these days?  Smile

Dave
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Bob Collins <bobcollins42(at)gmail.com (bobcollins42(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> Zenith-List message posted by: Bob Collins <bobcollins42(at)gmail.com (bobcollins42(at)gmail.com)>

Phill,
I got my PPSEL in a Citabria 7ECA which only had an "dog house- turn and bank and whiskey compass", and a radio with a nav (GPS). I am quite sure you don't need more than this for the unusual attitudes part of the test. I do believe that you will need some kind of nav though.

Bob Collins
Sunnyvale CA USA

601corvair wrote:
Quote:

We are building the panel for nighttime VFR and have the minimum equipment list.

What I had not thought of was the instrument requirements for flight training.

I don’t have the latest version of practical test standard for the USA for PPSEL.

We currently have no vacuum instruments planned, but could easily modify this at the current stage of building.

We have an electric - dog house- turn and bank and whiskey compass. One com and transponder (mod C), no nav.

We could acquire a venturi driven AI and DG for about the cost of renting another plane for a few hours.

If I recall the instrument requirements dealt with unusual attitudes and getting in and out of Class C airspace.

Keep in mind the goal is to get a PPSEL rating to be able to fly daytime VFR on cloudless days.

We know our personal limits and are trying to comply with the regs in a cost effective fashion.

The good news is one of us has a PPSEL rating and we can always fly to the best instructor/examiner situation etc.

Does anyone know what the current test standards are and what experience you need with regard to instruments?

Like unusual attitudes or does it require flight experience with specific instruments?

Ain’t technology grand.

Phill Hartig

===========
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: