Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFIS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: EFIS Reply with quote

To those who are installing an EFIS in their panel, what backup instruments
are you installing / considering.

Lowell

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
darinh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: EFIS Reply with quote

Lowell,

I put in a backup ASI and altimeter. I guess you could also argue a turn coordinator would be good but I really only fly day VFR anyway so if I know my altitude and airspeed, I am good to go.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kaysville, Utah
Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: EFIS Reply with quote

I'm using the Grand Rapids EIS, but an early version. It contains all of
the engine instruments including OAT, engine hours, and more, plus parameter
alarm. It puts a lot of instruments in a small spot on the panel so I
could have a large glove box for charts, CDs, etc. Never had a problem with
it.
What I have on the panel is Airspeed, TC, Altimeter, Artificial Horizon,
Vertical Speed. Also have a Fuel Flow meter and G meter, but that could
easily be eliminated as it's never had a useful purpose other than to tell
me how bad my landings are.
Most of the EFIS units I've perused have way too many things crammed into a
small screen for me to interpret under pressure. Just my opinion.

Deke Morisse
Mikado Michigan
S5/Subaru/CAP 430+ TT
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress."
- Joseph Joubert

---

CDE2fly(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: EFIS Reply with quote

Lowell - I've got airspeed, altimeter, vertical speed, and an electric turn coordinator for redundancy to a Dynon D-100 in my Model 7(see attached photo) . I've got 11 hours on the airplane and find myself glancing more and more at the Dynon. It's the first airplane I've had with an EFIS and I must say I'm very impressed with it!

Chris
Model 7, 912S

In a message dated 8/8/2009 1:27:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net writes:
Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Lowell Fitt" <lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net>

To those who are installing an EFIS in their panel, what backup instruments
are you installing / considering.

Lowell ======================== the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

KF5.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 MB
 Viewed:  6362 Time(s)

KF5.JPG

nail13zg(at)centurytel.ne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: EFIS Reply with quote

I am using the Dynon EFIS with the Garmin 296's flight instrument page for
backup.

Trey Moran
Mod 5

---

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: EFIS Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have responded to my question. I have lots of ideas and
time will tell if I go with an EFIS or my panel looks traditional and old
fashioned.

Lowell

JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: EFIS Reply with quote

I am installing a Grand Rapids EFIS in my Kitfox 7 SS. I will not be putting any backup instruments in it. I do not plan to fly IFR, and even if I lost the entire EFIS, anyone with a little skill and experience should be able to easily land a light plane like a Kitfox VFR with no instruments. A properly installed EFIS system is very reliable, probably more reliable than a panel full of old school vacuum driven Gyros, etc.... I have been flying EFIS airplanes thousands of hours for the last 10 years, EFIS is clearly superior to analog gages..

In a pinch, GPS makes a great backup for airspeed indicator. I know it reads ground speed, but I always have a pretty good idea of where the wind is coming from and how strong when I land, easy enough to get it within a few MPH if one has no skills and is not capable of doing a landing without airspeed Wink

If I just had to have a backup, it would be a single airspeed indicator... Nothing else. For what its worth, I have seen several failures of mechanical airspeed indicators, but never an airspeed failure on an EFIS... In the end, its just a question if a builder is open minded enough to embrace new and better technology, or if he is so stuck in old ways, that he must have inferior analog gages...

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: