Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyridersbn(at)Yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

If he should decide to scratch build, he is going to outlay some cash for the equipment to bend and fabricate his parts. He needs to add this into his equation.

Be a better friend, newshound, and [quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Dave,
It isn't a money thing as much as an acquired skill set and educational
benefit. You scratch build and you will own a lot more tools and end up
with many more skills than if
you just go kit. If you like building things, you're an engineer type
that engages technical things, you probably should seriously look at
scratch building. If you just want to fly quickly, most cheaply, just
buy an airplane. The kit build will raise a lot of questions along the
way and it's an enriching experience to say the least.
The best of both of these worlds, is buying the kit or parts that you
know you cannot build and then scratch build parts that you manage to
mess up. It'll happen more times than you're prepared to consider on
parts that are expensive and time consuming. You would save a lot on
freight alone for do-over-parts. Eventually, in a kit build, you'll
wonder why you couldn't have made these parts yourself. By that time,
scratch building would seem nearly the most natural thing to do. It
takes longer to scratch build and you build a thicker hide for problems
that come along in nearly the same frequency for everyone. When you're
done, you probably could rebuild a wing yourself with the forms you
own. In a kit, you bend a wing and you'll probably sell the plane or
start by ordering those expensive parts all over again. It's not
everyone's cup of tea and the end result, scratch or kit, is a beautiful
plane that performs better than an equivalent commercial aircraft.
Neither way is best for everyone, but it's a decision that's easily
sampled by either participating in a Zenith rudder workshop at Mexico,
Mo or just buying the plans and beginning at the beginning.

Good luck,

Larry McFarland Scratch Built 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com
DaveC wrote:
Quote:

Simple question I am pondering. Should I scratch build or kit build? I don't know enough yet to make that decision, so I thought I would ask those who had finished their pondering.

I mean, scratch building takes a lot longer for sure.

So... why do it that way? [Rolling Eyes]

Is it a pride thing?
A personal learning thing?
A climb the mountain 'because it is there' thing?
Is it that much cheaper?

--------
Dave
Alvin, Texas
CH-701 wanna-be-soon

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=156771#156771

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

DaveC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

larry(at)macsmachine.com wrote:

The best of both of these worlds, is buying the kit or parts that you
know you cannot build and then scratch build parts that you manage to
mess up.

What a great idea! Idea Will Zenith sell just the ribs out of the wing kit for example? or parts that require a break larger than 36"?

Dave

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

A plans builder can scratch build most of the plane and also buy sub
kits or any individual parts he'd rather not make himself. For instance,
if you don't want to make the long bends yourself you could buy the wing
kit, which includes nearly all of the long bent sheets of metal and then
scratch the build the fuselage, which is built mostly of flat sheets. Or
you could buy just the wing ribs and scratch build the rest of the wings
to save some time.

I started with the tail kit and ordered the wing kit when the tail
surfaces were nearly completed and then the fuselage kit when the wings
were nearly done. This spread the cost over longer period so I didn't
have to come up with the whole price all at once.

Gig Giacona wrote:
Quote:

Let's keep in mind, just for those wondering the internet, that you have the option of buying the kit in section and you don't have to get it all at once. Shipping will cost more but it is the option I elected mainly because I wanted to keep my money as long as a could and I didn't have any where to store everything when I started.

Jugle wrote:
> is more realistic for me than spending 15000 or 20000 all in one go.
> Glenn.

--
Bryan Martin
Zenith 601XL N61BM
Ram Subaru, Stratus redrive
Do Not Archive

do not archive.
john.marzulli(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

There are some other reasons you want to consider:

If you ruin a piece or need to replace it or make a repair, a scratch builder has the skills and tools to do it with out having to rely on Zenith or wait for delivery.

There is also the issue of storage. If you buy harder to fabricate parts in the kit, but scratch build the skins, gussets and other easier pieces then you will require much less space for storage and the crates from Zenith will be easier to deal with.

Scratch building also helps with some fit issues. For instance with fuselage the seat skins that were provided were CNC pre-cut, but the passenger side skin fit looser than the pilot side ( ~10mm ). If it were a scratch built project then I would have initially cut an over sized piece and then trimmed down for better fit.

And the last issue is that making simply and approved design changes will be easier. So you want to change the wing skins to 0.020 or 0.0.25? Just order different aluminum. Want to make the parts out of 2024? Just use different aluminum. And as a bonus, you will not have the kit parts being replaced to deal with.

I went with the full kit, but I realized that much of the fuselage could have been scratch built, and my next project will probably with a mix between scratch built and kit.

Good luck!

On Jan 8, 2008 11:13 AM, DaveC <davecove(at)gmail.com (davecove(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> Zenith-List message posted by: "DaveC" <davecove(at)gmail.com (davecove(at)gmail.com)>

Simple question I am pondering. Should I scratch build or kit build? I don't know enough yet to make that decision, so I thought I would ask those who had finished their pondering.

Is it a pride thing?
Is it that much cheaper?

--------
Dave
Alvin, Texas
CH-701 wanna-be-soon

"Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle... it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.
-Airplane The Movie [quote][b]

John Bolding

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Dave, I'm in Baytown at RWJ Airpark, (54T) I have Brett Hanley's 701 in
my hangar as well as my scratch built 701 project. Have built an RV3 from
scratch and a Glasair from a kit and would be willing to discuss it with
you. Come by and visit.
Answers are a personal thing but mine are:

Pride--- Some,
Learning----- Yep
Mountain -----Less so
Cheaper----- BY FAR
Take longer ,----sure ,it took me a couple months to build the "kit" will
save $7-8 K or more.
LO&SLO John Bolding

---

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Quote:
Should I scratch build or kit build?

Don't forget the middle ground: buy the tougher parts (or those requiring
special tools) from Zenith (like all the welded parts) and scratch build the
rest.

-- Craig

skyridersbn(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

You said the one thing that is the most important. "I have the skills". That speaks volumes. I personally admire a person that can fabricate and re-create from a print. I don't have the "know how" or the equipment. I am building mine from a kit and I too don't have the whole outlay of cash to pay for the entire kit. Besides, I can't build but just so much in a day/week and I really don't have much available room to store the extra parts until I need them. Buying each kit as I go, makes more sense to fit my needs.

I had been mulling over the power plant for sometime now also. I had researched both the Rotax 912 and the Jabiru 3300. I had originally decided on using the Jabiru because it is a true aircraft engine with lower rpms. The major overhaul would be 2000 hours versus 1500 on the Rotax. I was chatting with this one gentleman and told him what I had decided and he asked me if I'd ever considered using a Corvair Conversion?? I actually discounted it at first but after I did more reading on it, I am hooked. I ordered my Conversion Manual (only $59) and the Installation Manual ($39) into my CH 601 XL. I should be getting my manuals late next week sometime. The cost to rebuild the Corvair 100 HP is between $1500 to $4000 depending on how much work you do yourself. Even at the high end of $4000, I am STILL saving in excess of $10,000 plus!

Here is William Wynne's website: www.flycorvair.com

I hope this helps some.
Larry

[quote][b]

skyridersbn(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

You said the one thing that is the most important. "I have the skills". That speaks volumes. I personally admire a person that can fabricate and re-create from a print. I don't have the "know how" or the equipment. I am building mine from a kit and I too don't have the whole outlay of cash to pay for the entire kit. Besides, I can't build but just so much in a day/week and I really don't have much available room to store the extra parts until I need them. Buying each kit as I go, makes more sense to fit my needs.

I had been mulling over the power plant for sometime now also. I had researched both the Rotax 912 and the Jabiru 3300. I had originally decided on using the Jabiru because it is a true aircraft engine with lower rpms. The major overhaul would be 2000 hours versus 1500 on the Rotax. I was chatting with this one gentleman and told him what I had decided and he asked me if I'd ever considered using a Corvair Conversion?? I actually discounted it at first but after I did more reading on it, I am hooked. I ordered my Conversion Manual (only $59) and the Installation Manual ($39) into my CH 601 XL. I should be getting my manuals late next week sometime. The cost to rebuild the Corvair 100 HP is between $1500 to $4000 depending on how much work you do yourself. Even at the high end of $4000, I am STILL saving in excess of $10,000 plus!

I hope this helps some.
Larry

[quote][b]

skyridersbn(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

I hope this helps some.
Larry

[quote][b]

rjscep(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Quote:
Dave, if your a craftsman and don't mind working on
your own pride and joy, then I say do it. On the
other hand if you think you don't have the time or
money is no object, then go ahead and order the kit.
Remember that you still have to fudge here and there
to make the parts fit. I myself like to scratch
build, doesn't bother me at all and I'm in my 70's.
Good luck in your endeavor.....do not archive..
--- DaveC <davecove(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

<davecove(at)gmail.com>

Simple question I am pondering. Should I scratch
build or kit build? I don't know enough yet to make
that decision, so I thought I would ask those who
had finished their pondering.

I mean, scratch building takes a lot longer for
sure.

Is it a pride thing?
Is it that much cheaper?

--------
Dave
Alvin, Texas
CH-701 wanna-be-soon

Quote:

browse
Un/Subscription,
FAQ,

Forums!

Admin.

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

PatrickW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

I decided to build from component kits, since this is my first project and I wanted all the hard bends to be made by the factory, plus spread out the cost.

I am building my own engine.

Since building my airplane, my skills have increased considerably. Plus I own a lot more tools now than I did before.

My next project will be scratch built.

Patrick
XL/Corvair
N63PZ

sky_ranger161

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I want to chime in on this one just because it's close to my heart as a scratchbuilder. Without being too flip, I almost feel like if you need to ask the question, then you should kit build. For me, the money is definitely an issue but I have this need to challenge myself on a heroic scale every once in a while and prove to myself that I can do difficult, if not seemingly impossible things.

I have a love of aviation - always have, and probably always will. When I started this project, I had two things I was looking for - an affordable way to fly (relatively speaking, of course), and a challenge that maybe .5% of people on the planet will accomplish in their lifetime. Scratchbuilding is affording me both - with all of the new knowledge and extra friendships and fellowship thrown in to boot.

That passion is what will sustain you through 4+ years of scratchbuilding. If you don't feel the NEED to scratchbuild now, it's probably not going to get any more pronounced as time wears on. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against kitbuilders. I've bought enough parts from Zenith to know what a huge time savings and convenience it is. I'm just in it for the challenge as well. The really cool thing about building a Zenith is the ability to do both. Buy the parts you want to - make the parts you don't.

OK, just my opinion. I hope nobody is offended. This is simply offered up as my explanation for my motivation.

Keep drillin' fellas.

Debo Cox
Nags Head, NC (4 miles from Kitty Hawk)
Second wing 80% done
www.mykitlog.com/debo

do not archive
[quote][b]

John75142

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

It is all of those things, but for me it was more the cost. It is about half
the cost of the kit if you do some shopping on materials plus although I
have only just begun it is rather rewarding to stand back and look at a
finished piece and be able to say I did that.
---

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Quote:
What is not attractive to me is the cut-out.

As a mostly-kit-with-occasional-scratch builder the cutting is not hard and
the costs of a mistake not that high. You don't ruin an entire sheet and you
don't cut the final line on the first cut.

If you are seriously considering scratch building I suggest three steps:

- Buy the plans of your choice from Zenith
- Get the HomebuiltHELP.com "Scratch Building Basics for Metal Aircraft" DVD
($39 from http://www.homebuilthelp.com/Scratch.htm)
- Scratch build a rudder

Quote:
Is a matched set of snips the only way to go for all that cutting?

For long straight cuts lots of us love the Olfa knife:
http://www.ch601.org/tools/olfa.htm

-- Craig

ifly4fun2(at)sbcglobal.ne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Dave,
Everyone has there own reasons mine are in this priority:
1-The enjoyment of building from raw material
2-Quality of parts that meet individual standards
3-Meeting new aviators and learning new skills.
4-Cost

do not archive
Art
--- DaveC <davecove(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

Simple question I am pondering. Should I scratch build or kit build? I don't know enough yet to
make that decision, so I thought I would ask those who had finished their pondering.

Is it a pride thing?
Is it that much cheaper?

--------
Dave
Alvin, Texas
CH-701 wanna-be-soon

videoflyer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Is it a pride thing?
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Is it that much cheaper?
Yes.
More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!
[quote][b]

rstone4(at)hot.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Members.
Anyone thinking about scratch building should not only think about the
special tools they will need but also the cost of purchasing and trying to
find everything required. There are some component parts of the ZodiacXL
that must be purchased from Zenith and they are not cheap. Consider all of
this cost and research then compare with the cost of a kit. Is what you
will save worth the trouble?

Bob Stone
Harker Heights, Tx
ZodiacXL w/Jabiru 3300
---

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Yes, but buying the individual parts may add up. For example a left nose rib
will cost you $31.10. Look here for the overall CH701 parts catalog:

http://www.zenithair.com/kit/701/index.html

and here for the wing parts:

http://www.zenithair.com/kit/701/wings.html

-- Craig

--

skyguynca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Why Scratch Build (a newbie wonders out loud) Reply with quote

Alot cheaper, you learn so much more when fabricating your parts. What I
would suggest is to buy "Scratch building basics for metal aircraft" from
Homebuilthelp.com. These guys are the greatest in showing techniques and
information for the first time builder.

David Mikesell
230 Theresa Drive, #6
Cloverdale, CA 95425
209-224-4485
skyguynca(at)skyguynca.com
www.skyguynca.com
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: