Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matronics(at)bob.brennan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Personally measured and observed facts anyway, and as little opinion as possible.

Getting ready for my first flight since importing my KF2 from the UK almost 2 years ago, I decided to take what knowledge I had gained from the ethanol debates and apply it, and I am glad that I did. Here is what I have found so far:

In the UK I used "regular" petrol rated at 89 octane and I never tested for ethanol, although my UK built plane is placarded in a number of places warning *not* to use fuel with any alcohol in it.

I periodically ran-up the engine for a year and a half on US regular gas bought a year and a half ago. I know - stale gas, bad move, yada yada... I have already chastised myself on that one.

I bought new "regular" (87 octane, Sam's Club) about a month ago and drained the system of the old gas. I then began noticing dark fuel and black sediment when draining the sump before starting the engine.

Much to my chagrin I noticed my fuel drain tool, bought in the UK years ago, was actually a calibrated alcohol tester so I decided to buy and test some local fuel to find something acceptable to fly with. Here is what I found, on this date in Wrightsville &York PA:

Sam's Club Regular - $3.44/gal - stated as 87 octane - tested as 6% ethanol
Rutter's Premium - $3.85/gal - stated as 93 octane - tested as 5% ethanol
Turkey Hill Premium - $3.75/gal - stated as 92 octane - tested as 0% ethanol

The Turkey Hill gas is in my plane, the rest went in my Jeep, and I will buy and test Turkey Hill regular for the rest of my gas-powered toys in future, hoping that also is ethanol free. At least for now.

Now for an opinion - contrary to listers who said they use ethanol with no problems - I assume my short use of ethanol-laced regular (never flying) caused a breakdown of rubber fuel elements, true to warnings posted everywhere and the cause of the drained fuel contamination. I will carefully watch for any further contamination (I expect a little yet) and will then replace lines and filter(s). Note that I never ran the engine until all contaminants were drained out.

As stated throughout - this is all "for what it's worth" - but I try to base it on experience rather than opinion, and can post more test results if anyone is interested. Live and loin, I always say...

Bob Brennan
1991 UK Model 2 ELSA Kitfox
Rotax 582 with 3 blade prop
Wrightsville Pa

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
kcozik(at)cablespeed.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

I agree Bob. Not sure how others are getting away with ethanol but the fuel that
started dissolving my tank was 10%. My guess is the guys using car gas without
issue have less than 1 or 2% ethanol, if any at all.

I'll stick with 100LL since ethanol free is impossible to find here in Michigan.
Kevin Cozik
Series 6-7
914 turbo
Czech floats
Lansing MI

On Sun Aug 17 13:25 , 'Bob Brennan' <matronics(at)bob.brennan.name> sent:

Quote:

Personally measured
and observed facts anyway, and as little opinion as
possible.

Getting ready for my
first flight since importing my KF2 from the UK almost 2 years ago, I decided to
take what knowledge I had gained from the ethanol debates and apply it, and I am
glad that I did. Here is what I have found so far:

In the UK I used
"regular" petrol rated at 89 octane and I never tested for ethanol, although my
UK built plane is placarded in a number of places warning *not* to use fuel with
any alcohol in it.

I periodically
ran-up the engine for a year and a half on US regular gas bought a year and a
half ago. I know - stale gas, bad move, yada yada... I have already chastised
myself on that one.

I bought new
"regular" (87 octane, Sam's Club) about a month ago and drained the system of
the old gas. I then began noticing dark fuel and black sediment when draining
the sump before starting the engine.

Much to my chagrin I
noticed my fuel drain tool, bought in the UK years ago, was actually a
calibrated alcohol tester so I decided to buy and test some local fuel to find
something acceptable to fly with. Here is what I found, on this date in
Wrightsville &York PA:

Sam's Club Regular -
$3.44/gal - stated as 87 octane - tested as 6% ethanol
Rutter's
Premium - $3.85/gal - stated as 93 octane - tested as 5%
ethanol
Turkey Hill Premium
- $3.75/gal - stated as 92 octane - tested as 0%
ethanol

The Turkey Hill gas
is in my plane, the rest went in my Jeep, and I will buy and test Turkey Hill
regular for the rest of my gas-powered toys in future, hoping that also is
ethanol free. At least for now.

Now for an opinion -
contrary to listers who said they use ethanol with no problems - I assume my
short use of ethanol-laced regular (never flying) caused a breakdown of
rubber fuel elements, true to warnings posted everywhere and the cause of the
drained fuel contamination. I will carefully watch for any further contamination
(I expect a little yet) and will then replace lines and filter(s). Note that I
never ran the engine until all contaminants were drained
out.

As stated throughout
- this is all "for what it's worth" - but I try to base it on experience rather
than opinion, and can post more test results if anyone is interested. Live
and loin, I always say...

Bob Brennan
Wrightsville Pa

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

f.miles.tcp.833(at)clearw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Guys, here's a dumb question, maybe. Short of just not flying, what is wrong
with burning a mixture of 1/2 ethanol fuel and 1/2 100LL? Half as much
ethanol and half as much low lead. How much low lead would a person have to
burn to really harm an engine? I am speaking of only the two cycle engines.

Frank Miles
K-lll w/ 582
Clarkston, Washington

--

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Only 6% ethanol over a few weeks has apparently played havoc with my fuel
system = very dark fuel and black specs in the sump. I would assume 3% or 2%
or even 1% would do the same, just over a longer time.

My current plan of attack is to find out where the "black" was coming from,
and that it stops while using 0% ethanol 93 octane fuel (it definitely
started with the first tankful with ethanol). I assume rubber, there are a
few rubber hoses in the fuel path. Then I need to find a substitute hosing
to replace what is damaged, something that will not fall apart in the
presence of ethanol: which may be inevitable as ethanol-free gets harder to
find.

In other words I don't think blending is the answer - for me, right now, the
answer is testing each purchase and researching how to be ethanol-safe,
which my 1991 Rotax + fuel system obviously is not.

Bob Brennan
Wrightsville Pa

--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

I'll answer your question with a question... What's wrong with using a
mixture of say 3/4 washed gas to remove the ethanol and 1/4 100LL? That way
you get a very low lead content fuel with no ethanol and an octane rating of
greater than 91.

Someone mentioned on this thread that gas will absorb water... They then
went on to describe something less than .05%. After thinking on it a while
I've come up with three considerations. 1 the gas is only able to absorb a
very small limited amount of water where ethanol will dissolve and dilute in
any quantity of water. 2 the gas at your station probably is already
saturated with whatever water it can because most gasoline has travelled
through pipelines. Water is used in pipelines to separate shipments of
petro shipments. 3. The ethanol you are washing out has more affinity for
water than gas. Therefore unless you use an ocean of water to clean your gas
the probability is you will actually remove the water content of the
gasoline. For those reasons I have come to the conclusion that there is no
danger of saturating your gas with water by washing the ethanol out of it.
A worst case scenario is there will be less moisture in the fuel after
"washing" than before "washing".

Noel

--

chuckp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob, for the facts! I had been flying my Avid STOL for about 15 years with no problems until about a year and a half ago when ethanol became mandated in autofuel in Maryland. After several in-flight engine failures or malfunctions, I finally came to the conclusion that ethanol was dissolving my wing tank and depositing the softened polyester resin in the fuel filter and carburetor. Cleaning the carb and changing the filter always cured the problem for a while, until I finally got smart and resolved never to use ethanol contaminated fuel in my 3 aircraft again! I now carry an ethanol test kit in my trunk always, and test all gas before filling my tanks. Since then I’ve had no further problems.

Now, getting the uncontaminated gas has become the problem du jour. Glad to hear about the Turkey Hill pure gas availability. Unfortunately, Turkey Hill is only available in PA. I have also found that the Shell station at Rt. 15 and Ridge Rd near Dillsburg, PA is also pure! Another one is the Citgo station at Rt. 51 in downtown Cumberland MD. Other stations in these same areas may or may not be contaminated, necessitating mandatory testing. What we really need is a website similar to gasbuddy.com reporting station locations having tested pure gas, where flyers can input their proven ethanol-free gas discoveries. Any of our guys willing to take on that great public service?

Bob, we always make it a point to attend fly-ins at Shreveport North airfield in Wellsville, PA, near Dillsburg. We have a spring fly-in on Father’s Day in June, and another on Labor Day. This is how I found the above Shell station. Lots of light planes, ultralights, food and fun! Hope to see you there!

Pops
Avid N113P STOL, Rotax 447
Flying and grinning since 1956 J

[quote][b]

rjdaugh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Thanks Pops!

Real world experience is very helpful. I have checked the dates of manufacture of my tanks and they should be compatible with low levels of ethanol and have changed to tygon fuel lines, but still worry about ethanol. The same thing can happen to cars that were not make with elastomers compatible with ethanol.

Also, thanks to Espuny for educational posts.

Randy

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Chuck Popenoe
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 10:03 AM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction

Thanks, Bob, for the facts! I had been flying my Avid STOL for about 15 years with no problems until about a year and a half ago when ethanol became mandated in autofuel in Maryland. After several in-flight engine failures or malfunctions, I finally came to the conclusion that ethanol was dissolving my wing tank and depositing the softened polyester resin in the fuel filter and carburetor. Cleaning the carb and changing the filter always cured the problem for a while, until I finally got smart and resolved never to use ethanol contaminated fuel in my 3 aircraft again! I now carry an ethanol test kit in my trunk always, and test all gas before filling my tanks. Since then I’ve had no further problems.

Now, getting the uncontaminated gas has become the problem du jour. Glad to hear about the Turkey Hill pure gas availability. Unfortunately, Turkey Hill is only available in PA. I have also found that the Shell station at Rt. 15 and Ridge Rd near Dillsburg, PA is also pure! Another one is the Citgo station at Rt. 51 in downtown Cumberland MD. Other stations in these same areas may or may not be contaminated, necessitating mandatory testing. What we really need is a website similar to gasbuddy.com reporting station locations having tested pure gas, where flyers can input their proven ethanol-free gas discoveries. Any of our guys willing to take on that great public service?

Bob, we always make it a point to attend fly-ins at Shreveport North airfield in Wellsville, PA, near Dillsburg. We have a spring fly-in on Father’s Day in June, and another on Labor Day. This is how I found the above Shell station. Lots of light planes, ultralights, food and fun! Hope to see you there!

Pops
Quote:
  - The Kitfox-List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

I've discussed this with a friend who used to own and operate an industrial
lab. They regularly did testing of various fuels including flash tests. He
told me that washing the gas is a good idea because it also removes any dust
and crud ( his word ) that may be in the gas. I figure any other water
soluble additives would be replaced with the 25% 100LL. The 100 LL will
eventually foul plugs etc but hopefully you will be past TBO before that
happens. I figure 25% 100 LL will produce a 91 1/4 octane fuel. Good for
either 912. Probably ok for a 582 too. Just check the main bearings for
plating at around 300 hr. A fuel mix may not run as clean as unleaded MOGAS
but it will probably run smoother with less chance of vapour lock or
altitude induced evaporation.

Noel

--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Any one heading to Newfoundland there is no ethanol here at all.... Great float country!

Noel

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Chuck Popenoe
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 1:33 PM

Pops
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

ronlee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Maybe someone can comment on the following.
It is my understanding hat 92 octane auto fuel is essentially the same octane as 100 LL just a different way of rating it. IE: ron/mon. If this is true, then mixing 100LL with 92 octane will not really raise the octane number. I do know it will raise the vapor pressure of auto fuel though.
Could it be that if 92 octane auto fuel was rated as aircraft fuel is it would be 100 octane?

rawheels

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

http://www.tanknology.com/services_ethanol_prep.html:
Quote:
When water does contaminate ethanol-blended gasoline, the water dissolves into the ethanol and disperses throughout the tank. Once it exceeds its maximum tolerance, the alcohol/water mixture will separate from the gasoline. Depending upon the actual conditions, up to 80 percent of the ethanol will separate from the gasoline, forming two separate layers in the tank: Gasoline on top of ethanol-rich water. The gasoline layer, because it has been stripped of most of the ethanol, will be lower in octane and most likely out of specification. The bottom layer, which is a mix of ethanol and water, simply won’t burn.

Wonder how much lower the octane rating is?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Randy - I found "tygon" at Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/tygon.php but it says "Ideal or[sic] hookup of airspeed pitot and static lines (not recommended for pressurized applications). " Doesn't sound like fuel line to me (?)

Bob Brennan
Wrightsville Pa
From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Randy Daughenbaugh
Sent: 18 August 2008 12:44 pm
Subject: RE: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction

Thanks Pops!

Real world experience is very helpful. I have checked the dates of manufacture of my tanks and they should be compatible with low levels of ethanol and have changed to tygon fuel lines, but still worry about ethanol. The same thing can happen to cars that were not make with elastomers compatible with ethanol.

Randy

Pops
Quote:
  - The Kitfox-List Email Forum -http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
0 [quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Thanks Chuck (Pops) for sharing your experiences so that the rest of us can watch out for ethanol effects, and for the recommendation on the Labor Day fly-in. I did my first hour of Airworthiness Cert mandatory test flying today and have a few things to tweak but I hope to be legal and settled in by then so maybe I'll see you there. Boy does my 582 rev high now on 92 octane no-ethanol, I need to learn not to push the throttle all the way in!

Bob Brennan - N717GB
Wrightsville Pa
Sent: 18 August 2008 12:03 pm

Pops

[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Since ethanol is a lower octane rating than gasoline... and gasoline with 5% ethanol is rated as 93 octane (my measurement from a Rutter's station... it seems to me that the 95% gasoline in the mixture had to be higher octane for the mixture to be 93... so removing the ethanol should leave just *higher* octane gasoline. Shouldn't it??

Bob Brennan - N717GB
Wrightsville Pa

--

occom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

---

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

>What we really need is a website similar to gasbuddy.com reporting station locations having tested pure gas, where flyers can input their proven ethanol-free gas discoveries. Any of our guys willing to take on that great public service?

I will be testing other stations in my area and posting the results but that information would only be good for that tank of gas. If someone else posted where they got ethanol-free gas and I was nearby I would certainly give it a try - but I would test it before using it just as I will now even at stations that were previously ethanol-free. I asked the station attendant at the Turkey Hill if the gas was ethanol-free since it didn't have the ethanol warning label on the pumps. Her response was "ok yeah, I forgot to put those stickers on..." So the more sources the better, in case some switch over.

One of the guys at the airport today said there is a station in Lancaster that actually displays an Ethanol Free sign. Or maybe they're just giving the crap (ethanol) away for free... Wink

Bob Brennan - N717GB
Wrightsville Pa

Sent: 18 August 2008 12:03 pm

Pops

[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

rjdaugh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Bob,
Doesn’t’ sound like fuel line to me either.

Try the Bing alcohol resistant fuel line from ACS. (P/N 05-00500) I could be wrong, but I think it is a tygon formulation. At any rate, I really like it. (The blue Bing tubing that is.) I would like to think though that the Bing tubing on my plane has not yet seen much, if any ethanol.

Randy

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bob Brennan
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 2:23 PM

Randy - I found "tygon" at Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/tygon.php but it says "Ideal or[sic] hookup of airspeed pitot and static lines (not recommended for pressurized applications). " Doesn't sound like fuel line to me (?)

Bob Brennan

Wrightsville Pa

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Randy Daughenbaugh
Thanks Pops!

Randy

Pops
Quote:
  - The Kitfox-List Email Forum -   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -<>--> http://forums.matronics.com
Quote:
  - List Contribution Web Site -
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
  - The Kitfox-List Email Forum -
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

rjdaugh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Ron,
Fuels are formulated differently in the winter than in the summer. In the
winter, you want a higher vapor pressure to make the engine easier to start.
In the summer, a high vapor pressure can lead more easily to vapor lock.

The knock against ethanol is that it raises the vapor pressure of fuel.
Something you don't want as you go to higher altitudes.

Randy My home strip is 4400' elevation.

--

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

Excellent tip Randy - it is at http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/bingfuel.php and I will be ordering some to replace my ethanol-damaged hosing.

Follow-up: I checked my sump several times today, once before each flight (5 or 6) and no more dark discoloration. There are still black bits in the bottom of the sediment bowl, seemingly decreasing with each test but still the reason to replace all rubber hose lines. I will check again tomorrow morning after the (non-ethanol) fuel has sat in the hoses overnight. Damn that ethanol!

Bob Brennan - N717GB
Wrightsville Pa

Sent: 18 August 2008 6:36 pm

Bob,
Doesn’t’ sound like fuel line to me either.

Try the Bing alcohol resistant fuel line from ACS. (P/N 05-00500) I could be wrong, but I think it is a tygon formulation. At any rate, I really like it. (The blue Bing tubing that is.) I would like to think though that the Bing tubing on my plane has not yet seen much, if any ethanol.

Randy

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bob Brennan
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 2:23 PM

Bob Brennan

Wrightsville Pa

Thanks Pops!

Randy

Pops
Quote:
- The Kitfox-List Email Forum -   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -<>--> http://forums.matronics.com
Quote:
- List Contribution Web Site -
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
7 [quote][b]

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Ethanol - facts and no myths or fiction Reply with quote

I have been told 87 not sure whether that is RON or MON

About the water/eth it will not burn... unless you distil it again. Espuny could do that and burn the recovered eth in his car in effect lowering the cost of his flying fuel. It's been a long time since I distilled alcohol ( all the way back to high school) but I think it distils at 80C, standard pressure.

Noel

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: