Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n85ae

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

Here's my "Never gonna do that again" experience for the year.
Discovered nearly fatally a aerodynamic combo my plane will not
tolerate.

Steep descent to get through a hole in the clouds, pulled 22 degrees
flaperon's to see how they'd work as a drag producer (aka dive brakes)
never expected an instant accelerated stall, pushing me over vertical.
Everything from the luggage sack plastered on the ceiling. Including
me if not for seat belts. Imagine that you're really nose down to begin,
and then the nose rips out from under you. There was no warning, just
instant drop! Almost like a forward tumble.

Miracle I had presence of mind to push not pull on the stick, nearly pulled
a muscle grabbing for the flaperon handle at near upside down. Recovery
came right away after getting the flaperons back to 11 degrees. Then
it was just a matter of pulling out of a vertical dive like a spin recovery.

Had to land at the nearest airport to literally clean up the cockpit.
Everything that was stowed was no longer in place, but up on the floor
in the front or on the glareshield.

Next mod to N85AE is a mechanical block to remove 22 degrees from
being used (ever).

First time in 7 years flying that plane that I ever had that happen.

Jeff Hays
Series 5, IO240B

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
dave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

Never flown a mod 5 --
I will tell you that my mod 4 I have 33 degree down on the flapperons and are a real attribute if you know how to use them.

Take off or landing only 1/2 flaps except when you trying to bust loose from glassy water or trying to get out of soft sand or mud.
Full power and part flaps only until you ready to fly but plane just ain;t there yet -- Rip those full flapperons all the way to 33 degrees and it will help you bust loose - keep nosedown and bleed off to 1/2 flaps as soon as you can.

Kitfox flapperons are not like a cessna with 40 degrees for drag - they limit your roll control.

I test flew a mod 2 a while back and took off in reflex --scary -- my fault it was marked take off at the half flap point in mine..... that was zero flapperons. I had it shoved full forward and once o broke the ground I noticed to roll control and could not combat the crosswind... within a second I knew what happened and pull them back to my half way point which was Zero on this one -- it happens.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Most viewed Kitfox on youtube
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

On 9/25/2011 5:19 PM, n85ae wrote:
Quote:
Had to land at the nearest airport to literally clean up the cockpit.
Everything that was stowed was no longer in place, but up on the floor
in the front or on the glareshield.

Next mod to N85AE is a mechanical block to remove 22 degrees from
being used (ever).

First time in 7 years flying that plane that I ever had that happen.

YEEHAW! Sounds exciting. Can't say I've ever pulled sustained negative

on the IV. Glad you survived to tell the tale. Interestingly my dad had
that happen flying an AD-1 as a lad, but it was caused by the dive
brakes: he pulled them on during a bombing run and the plane shifted
into a stable -g pitch-down which he was just barely able to arrest with
the elevator until he could get the brakes off.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. and grounded
Now a glider pilot, too.

n85ae

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

I use 11 degrees a lot for landing, the plane handles great, plus I get a better
over the nose view on final and still have no problems flaring for landing even
with the heavy motor. 22 degrees has always felt really horrible, as it takes
full trim and still some back pressure. Not to mention the roll control is really
odd feeling.

Recently I added the spring assist system, and I suspect this led me into a
trap that all that pressure you normally hold is telling you something. With
the spring assist, you don't feel like your holding so much. Pop in 22 degrees
going a bit fast, and probably at a higher than normal AOA and voila instant
stall. Not what I expected at the moment, or attitude I was at. Nose down
in a descent, a sudden stall is not in the program normally.

The other possibility is I got a tail stall which would have snapped the nose down as well. But I'm really not sure.

Jeff

MichaelGibbs(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

Quote:

I use 11 degrees a lot for landing...22 degrees has always felt
really horrible, as it take full trim and still some back pressure.
Not to mention the roll control is really odd feeling.

I routinely used full flaps (22 degrees) on my Model IV-1200
Speedster with no ill-effects. While there is less roll authority
with them down that far, it's no less than an ordinary airplane
probably has on a good day. I think Kitfox/Avid drivers become quite
spoiled to the responsiveness these airplanes deliver.

Mike G.
Phoenix, AZ
N728KF, Kitfox IV-1200 Speedster

Michel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your story, Jeff. My Kitfox 3, that I didn't build myself, has a stopper at 10 degrees flaps. I have read many scary stories of too much flaps on the flaperons and this is why I never use them, if it isn't as an "elevator trim" with a very few degrees, to counter the nose-up tendency at level flight in smooth air.

To go through a hole in the cloud, I would prefer the side-slip method, which I use intensively on final approach. I just love it.

Some years ago, I participated to a navigation contest in the Norwegian mountains and, in order to land at the correct time, I had to descend from the top of the mountains, to 1,000 ft AGL in the valley, rather quickly. I came down along the mountain side by left and right side-slips what were just like ... skiing down a hill! It was so much fun and it felt so ... natural to slip one side, then the other!

If I had to go through a hole in the cloud cover (which I am not really allowed to because the European ultralight rule forbids us to fly "on top") I would do it ... the skiing way! Wink

Cheers,
Michel Verheughe
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200
Norway

Dorsal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

Just curious, what was your IAS at the time you pulled the flaps?

n85ae

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

Higher than normal, probably 80+ mph. Initially pitched down like
normal when pulling flaperons, this I compensated with elevator and
trim but then the elevator just went away, and the nose pitched down
hard. I thought I stalled the wing. BUT now after thinking about it over
night, I'm inclined to think I stalled the tail.

My plane has an IO-240B and a variable incidence tail. So I had a
lot of trim rolled in, and I'm nose heavy to begin with. I'm pretty sure
the tail either got blanked out by airflow, or simply stopped flying.
Which ever it was the stick stopped working until I pushed, and got
out the flaperons.

By the time I got the plane under control I'd dropped at least a thousand
feet or so, had I not been secured in by my belt it would have been all
over. I actually had a lot of shoulder pain immediately after from trying
to grab the flaperon handle. But I was so happy to have control of the
plane again I remember thinking I didn't care if the arm fell off. Then I
just sat there in a mass of debris (maps, etc) thinking I need to do a
better job stowing my stuff in the future.
Dorsal wrote:
Just curious, what was your IAS at the time you pulled the flaps?

SkySteve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

Scary stuff. I have changed the position of my Johnson Bar flaperon handle so I can get to it in a hurry and not have to look down. This helps a lot for those times when you need the flaperons in a hurry or when looking down in the cabin is not a good idea. Notice I also have the stop which limits how many degrees of flaperon you can get.

912A / 3 Blade Warp Drive
Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
av8rps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

After flying a multitude of Kitfoxes and Avids for over 25 years, and doing just about anything you can imagine with one, I agree that this situation was likely caused by a tail stall and not the flaperons.

Unlike many that think our flaperons are useless, I use flaperons for every takeoff and landing (I've modified my flaps so I get nearly 30 degrees of throw). And yet, I've never experienced anything that I would say is unusual or scary.

Here's just one example of the extent I've tested my flaperons; I recently blew out (!) both back quarter windows on my Kitfox amphib while practicing SEVERE slips both directions in an effort to figure out how to land my speedy little amphib shorter. (I began the testing at high altitude to be safe. I didn't want to learn at low altitude that my severe fuselage angle combined with a slow airspeed, a huge sink rate, and totally uncoordinated flight would result in something like a snap roll). But even in that situation, the Kitfox was solid and stable.

So I think you hit the nail on the head when talking about the tail stall. Thank you for sharing that information. It is very good to know. If it happened to you, it can happen to others.

Avid Flyer Sn#1 and Sn#26
Highlander 912s taildragger
Lake Amphibian
Central Wisconsin
paul676@tds.net
dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: how to kill yourself with the flaperon handle Reply with quote

Paul ,well said !!
Flapperons on my mod 4 ROCK - and I gotta say anyone that tells you others just does not know how to utilize them to the max.

I will that say on mod 1 ,2 flapperons really suck compared to my mod 4. Not totally useless but close.
Dave

Realtime Kitfox movies to separate the internet chatter from the truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/kitfoxflyer
Hundreds of Kitfox Movies
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube

av8rps wrote:
After flying a multitude of Kitfoxes and Avids for over 25 years, and doing just about anything you can imagine with one, I agree that this situation was likely caused by a tail stall and not the flaperons.

Unlike many that think our flaperons are useless, I use flaperons for every takeoff and landing (I've modified my flaps so I get nearly 30 degrees of throw). And yet, I've never experienced anything that I would say is unusual or scary.

Here's just one example of the extent I've tested my flaperons; I recently blew out (!) both back quarter windows on my Kitfox amphib while practicing SEVERE slips both directions in an effort to figure out how to land my speedy little amphib shorter. (I began the testing at high altitude to be safe. I didn't want to learn at low altitude that my severe fuselage angle combined with a slow airspeed, a huge sink rate, and totally uncoordinated flight would result in something like a snap roll). But even in that situation, the Kitfox was solid and stable.

So I think you hit the nail on the head when talking about the tail stall. Thank you for sharing that information. It is very good to know. If it happened to you, it can happen to others.

Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: