Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hydraulic lock?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmhou(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Would it make sense to remove one of the adjacent cylinders first to verify the bottom ring of the locked cylinder is the cause of the lock?

--- On Fri, 4/19/13, bill wade <bwade154(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Re: Hydraulic lock?
To: "yak-list(at)matronics.com" <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Friday, April 19, 2013, 11:05 AM

Mark if you would like to know which piston it is just put a rod in through the spark plug hole longest one wins pull cylinder.
Bill

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2013 1:27 PM
Subject: RE: Re: Hydraulic lock?

There is an ad on Barnstormers.com for a HS-6A engine and exhaust for $3,500. If I were you I'd jump on that right away, you won't find a better deal. I had basically the same thing happen to me a few months ago. I'm still dealing with it.

Quote:
Subject: Yak-List: Re: Hydraulic lock?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 04:35:10 -0700
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com

--> Yak-List message posted by: "mnorman" <mark(at)albanyproperty.com.au>

Thanks for all the info Richard, its much appreciated. Is there an easy way to tell which piston is the problem? Also how do you think it would compare price wise between doing the work you have suggested and replacing the engine.
Anyone know the going price for a replacement HS-6A?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=398939#398939

==

Quote:

-4>Un/Subscription,
ore:
Quote:
Dralle, List Admin.

ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List">http://www.matronics.com/Naviga_blank" href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com[/b]

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
bwade154(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Sorry Mark you are correct. Should have added, if the engine rotates after pulling cylinder you got the correct one. Stroke is 5.11 inch's so there should be more than 1/2 inch differance between each cylinder's piston in the bore and if it is in-fact locked as Mr Goode has suggested it would be sound to assume the lowest piston in the cylinder's would be the culprate. Something else could have locked the engine? and you know what assume is. But thats where I would start.
Bill

From: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2013 2:15 PM

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>

The M-14 Engine has slightly different "stroke" lengths, and I would
guess so would the Housai. You cannot rely on that method all the time.
Just sayin. It sounds good in theory, and with a V-8 Chevy it would
work.  Not so this engine.

Mark
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Exactly. Good explanation by the way.

Mark
--

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Everyone else has responded to this already, so there is not much more to be said...... except:

One thing I have discovered with my YAK-50 that DOES have the intake drain kit installed, is that when the weather is cold, the oil does not tend to just run right out of the intake drains. This results in the strong possibility of oil remaining in the intake tubes and being gulped right into the engine on start, which apparently is what happened to this poor gent. And yes, I am running Phillips 25W-60W Radial Engine Oil.

So to those with intake drain kits installed, take note if you choose. I first prime the living daylights out of my engine and DO NOT (!!!) pull it through AT ALL!!! I just sit there watching the intake drain itself. What SHOULD happen is that raw fuel comes streaming out of the drain. If it does NOT do that, then "YO" the oil in the drain tube kit itself is backed up and you might still have a lot of oil (and now fuel too!) in the lower intake tubes themselves. This is a strong DANGER DANGER indication!

At this point, I prime it still more and AGAIN watch the drain. If STILL nothing happens, I pull the front and rear plugs, and then start pre-heating the whole darn engine no matter what it takes to accomplish that. STILL never turning the prop at all.

Eventually all the oil and fuel will come streaming out the intake drain. THEN and only THEN is when I will consider pulling the prop through.

If you don't have the intake drain kit installed, you are looking at pulling the cowl and the plugs and pretty much doing the same thing.

The YAK-50 being a tail-dragger is especially prone to this happening. Point being, even with the intake drain kit installed, you still can't take it for granted that it worked as advertised.

Mark Bitterlich

--

rijaeger(at)wausau.k12.wi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

As usual, Mark - you are right on the bullseye here. What you described is exactly what happened to me a couple weeks ago when I started the Yak for the 1st time in months. It was chilly out and I had left the intake drain open the entire time she sat. The only time anything moved through the chilled drain tube was when I would cycle the drain valve - then a single globule of oil would exit after each opening - guessing the slight vacuum on the clogged line caused that. About 15 minutes after priming - with the valve still open - the fuel worked it's way through the line and opened things up - I guess much like an oil dilution system would do. I have MUCH to learn about these aircraft / engines. But if you experts have taught me anything, it's be careful to the point of PARANOIA w/ start up. Thank you for that. I'd rather take the time & effort and be mildly inconvenienced any day over being grounded w/ expensive and lengthy repairs due to complacency.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)> wrote:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>

Everyone else has responded to this already, so there is not much more to be said...... except:

One thing I have discovered with my YAK-50 that DOES have the intake drain kit installed, is that when the weather is cold, the oil does not tend to just run right out of the intake drains.  This results in the strong possibility of oil remaining in the intake tubes and being gulped right into the engine on start, which apparently is what happened to this poor gent. And yes, I am running Phillips 25W-60W Radial Engine Oil.

So to those with intake drain kits installed, take note if you choose.  I first prime the living daylights out of my engine and DO NOT (!!!) pull it through AT ALL!!!  I just sit there watching the intake drain itself.  What SHOULD happen is that raw fuel comes streaming out of the drain.  If it does NOT do that, then "YO" the oil in the drain tube kit itself is backed up and you might still have a lot of oil (and now fuel too!) in the lower intake tubes themselves.  This is a strong DANGER DANGER indication!

At this point, I prime it still more and AGAIN watch the drain.  If STILL nothing happens, I pull the front and rear plugs, and then start pre-heating the whole darn engine no matter what it takes to accomplish that.  STILL never turning the prop at all.

Eventually all the oil and fuel will come streaming out the intake drain.  THEN and only THEN is when I will consider pulling the prop through.

If you don't have the intake drain kit installed, you are looking at pulling the cowl and the plugs and pretty much doing the same thing.

The YAK-50 being a tail-dragger is especially prone to this happening.   Point being, even with the intake drain kit installed, you still can't take it for granted that it worked as advertised.

Mark Bitterlich

--

bwade154(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Let me add to Tom's post the add is in Barnstormers under Parts - Nanchang and there is a picture.
Bill

NANCHANG HS6 EXHAUST & ENGINE • $3,500 • FOR SALE • Ceramic coated Blackwell leg pipe exhaust & HS6 powerplant. Upgraded to m-14. 1000 for exhaust, 3500 for core • Contact Chris Zimmer - [url=http://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/contact_seller.php?to=72287&id=751045&title=NANCHANG HS6 exhaust & engine&return=%2FParts%2C%2520Nanchang%2520Classifieds.html]ZPM[/url], Owner - located Mukilteo, WA USA • Telephone: 4252205414 . • Posted April 15, 2013

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2013 1:27 PM

There is an ad on Barnstormers.com for a HS-6A engine and exhaust for $3,500. If I were you I'd jump on that right away, you won't find a better deal. I had basically the same thing happen to me a few months ago. I'm still dealing with it.

Quote:
Subject: Re: Hydraulic lock?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 04:35:10 -0700

--> Yak-List message posted by: "mnorman" <mark(at)albanyproperty.com.au>

Thanks for all the info Richard, its much appreciated. Is there an easy way to tell which piston is the problem? Also how do you think it would compare price wise between doing the work you have suggested and replacing the engine.
Anyone know the going price for a replacement HS-6A?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=398939#398939

==

[quote]
[b]

mnorman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the great info guys. Its given me lots to consider. I was a bit in shock yesterday when it happened, at least now I have a better idea of where I'm at.

Thanks again

Mark

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Roger that Mark. That also is why I jack the tail up after I put her up for the day. Draining the sump also seems to help with the amount of Oil I get out on engine pull through.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 19, 2013, at 3:11 PM, "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil> wrote:

[quote]

One thing I have discovered with my YAK-50 that DOES have the intake drain kit installed, is that when the weather is cold, the oil does not tend to just run right out of the intake drains. This results in the strong possibility of oil remaining in the intake tubes and being gulped right into the engine on start, which apparently is what happened to this poor gent. And yes, I am running Phillips 25W-60W Radial Engine Oil.

So to those with intake drain kits installed, take note if you choose. I first prime the living daylights out of my engine and DO NOT (!!!) pull it through AT ALL!!! I just sit there watching the intake drain itself. What SHOULD happen is that raw fuel comes streaming out of the drain. If it does NOT do that, then "YO" the oil in the drain tube kit itself is backed up and you might still have a lot of oil (and now fuel too!) in the lower intake tubes themselves. This is a strong DANGER DANGER indication!

At this point, I prime it still more and AGAIN watch the drain. If STILL nothing happens, I pull the front and rear plugs, and then start pre-heating the whole darn engine no matter what it takes to accomplish that. STILL never turning the prop at all.

Eventually all the oil and fuel will come streaming out the intake drain. THEN and only THEN is when I will consider pulling the prop through.

The YAK-50 being a tail-dragger is especially prone to this happening. Point being, even with the intake drain kit installed, you still can't take it for granted that it worked as advertised.

Mark Bitterlich

--

tigeryak18t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Nobody mentioned that when parking for a long time you'll loose less time and sweat to drain all oil out of the motor. And when coming back before starting warm the oil outside the plane before putting it back. Then you'll be sure that there can't be oil in your lower cylinder?
Plus oil will be warm before starting

The best system may well be this pre oiler and heater but it does cost money. Ok less than a bent rod!!!

Has anyone on the list experienced such way of doing?

Didier Blouzard
+33 6 5184 4802

Le 20 avr. 2013 à 01:25, "Roger Kemp M.D." <viperdoc(at)mindspring.com> a écrit :

[quote]

Roger that Mark. That also is why I jack the tail up after I put her up for the day. Draining the sump also seems to help with the amount of Oil I get out on engine pull through.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 19, 2013, at 3:11 PM, "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil> wrote:

>
>
> Everyone else has responded to this already, so there is not much more to be said...... except:
>
> One thing I have discovered with my YAK-50 that DOES have the intake drain kit installed, is that when the weather is cold, the oil does not tend to just run right out of the intake drains. This results in the strong possibility of oil remaining in the intake tubes and being gulped right into the engine on start, which apparently is what happened to this poor gent. And yes, I am running Phillips 25W-60W Radial Engine Oil.
>
> So to those with intake drain kits installed, take note if you choose. I first prime the living daylights out of my engine and DO NOT (!!!) pull it through AT ALL!!! I just sit there watching the intake drain itself. What SHOULD happen is that raw fuel comes streaming out of the drain. If it does NOT do that, then "YO" the oil in the drain tube kit itself is backed up and you might still have a lot of oil (and now fuel too!) in the lower intake tubes themselves. This is a strong DANGER DANGER indication!
>
> At this point, I prime it still more and AGAIN watch the drain. If STILL nothing happens, I pull the front and rear plugs, and then start pre-heating the whole darn engine no matter what it takes to accomplish that. STILL never turning the prop at all.
>
> Eventually all the oil and fuel will come streaming out the intake drain. THEN and only THEN is when I will consider pulling the prop through.
>
> If you don't have the intake drain kit installed, you are looking at pulling the cowl and the plugs and pretty much doing the same thing.
>
> The YAK-50 being a tail-dragger is especially prone to this happening. Point being, even with the intake drain kit installed, you still can't take it for granted that it worked as advertised.
>
> Mark Bitterlich
>
>
> --

Wim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Also not mentioned before in this thread:

On our Yak-52; we have installed a shut off valve just below the oil tank. This valve is closed after each flight to prevent oil draining into the engine when parked. When closed it flicks a switch that disables the ignition system to prevent starting. Not sure if this easy modification is common or will prevent all hyd lock issues caused by oil, but seems logical to me.

Rgds
Wim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Didier,

I've put an electric heater on the oil tank itself, and have seen them mounted on the sump as well. These are typically "EZ-Heat" type devices:

http://e-zheat.com/shop/

My oil cooler has also been changed "back" to having a veratherm (basically a thermostat) internal to the oil cooler itself. This serves two purposes, first it allows the oil to warm up must faster, and two ... it helps to prevent an over-pressure situation in the cooler when the engine is started under very cold conditions without pre-heat. There was actually a change in the YAK-50 design that pulled these things OUT of the oil cooler at one time. I'm not sure why, maybe Richard Goode might know. In any case, mine works very well.

Mark
--

tigeryak18t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Interesting.
I also did put on my main tank EZ Heat systems. Two pads and on the oil
sump one pad.
A very very good aftersales service.
One of my pas did not work and without any question they sent me a
replacement.
Since now 3 years I am using them and it works perfectly fine.

Works very well. When temperature is below minus 5 you must also use an air
heater to warm cylinders and it take about 40mn to warm up to 10 degres oil
and 15 degres cyl temp.
That's really great to start warm

Good to share experience on that
Didier

2013/4/22 Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>

[quote]
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>

Didier,

I've put an electric heater on the oil tank itself, and have seen them
mounted on the sump as well. These are typically "EZ-Heat" type devices:

My oil cooler has also been changed "back" to having a veratherm
(basically a thermostat) internal to the oil cooler itself. This serves
two purposes, first it allows the oil to warm up must faster, and two ...
it helps to prevent an over-pressure situation in the cooler when the
engine is started under very cold conditions without pre-heat. There was
actually a change in the YAK-50 design that pulled these things OUT of the
oil cooler at one time. I'm not sure why, maybe Richard Goode might know

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Particularly when the temps get below 0 C it is a VERY good idea to have
a heat pad on the oil cooler or use some sort of heater to warm the oil
in the oil cooler.

I know of one that literally blew apart in the very cold winter weather
when the oil tank and sump and engine compartment were heated, but the
oil cooler wasn't.

A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 4/22/2013 2:32 PM, Didier Blouzard wrote:
[quote] Interesting.
I also did put on my main tank EZ Heat systems. Two pads and on the
oil sump one pad.
One of my pas did not work and without any question they sent me a
replacement.

Works very well. When temperature is below minus 5 you must also use
an air heater to warm cylinders and it take about 40mn to warm up to
10 degres oil and 15 degres cyl temp.

Didier

2013/4/22 Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil
<mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>>

WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil <mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>>

Didier,

I've put an electric heater on the oil tank itself, and have seen
them mounted on the sump as well. These are typically "EZ-Heat"
type devices:

(basically a thermostat) internal to the oil cooler itself. This
serves two purposes, first it allows the oil to warm up must
faster, and two ... it helps to prevent an over-pressure situation
in the cooler when the engine is started under very cold
conditions without pre-heat. There was actually a change in the
YAK-50 design that pulled these things OUT of the oil cooler at
one time. I'm not sure why, maybe Richard Goode might know. In any
case, mine works very well.

Mark
--

tigeryak18t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

I add this to my Must Do List
Thanks Dennis

Didier

2013/4/22 A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)>
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)>

Particularly when the temps get below 0 C it is a VERY good idea to have a heat pad on the oil cooler or use some sort of heater to warm the oil in the oil cooler.

I know of one that literally blew apart in the very cold winter weather when the oil tank and sump and engine compartment were heated, but the oil cooler wasn't.

A. Dennis Savarese
[url=tel:334-285-6263]334-285-6263[/url]
[url=tel:334-546-8182]334-546-8182[/url] (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

[quote] Interesting.
I also did put on my main tank EZ Heat systems. Two pads and on the oil sump one pad.
One of my pas did not work and without any question they sent me a replacement.

Works very well. When temperature is below minus 5 you must also use an air heater to warm cylinders and it take about 40mn to warm up to 10 degres oil and 15 degres cyl temp.

Didier

2013/4/22 Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil) <mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>>

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR,

WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil) <mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>>

Didier,

type devices:

Mark

--

Yakman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

I hate to bore you all with this subject but to save an inexperienced Yak guy the same fate as poor Mark I'd apprciate just one more day of advice. The original post from Mark was about his aircraft not flying for 6 months which resulted in his hydrauliced engine. I am in the same situation having not started my 18t for 2 months however I have swung the prop 18 times every 2 weeks. It has the drain mods and obviously its not a tail dragger. So this Sat im going to start it rain or shine. Its still fairly warm here, t shirt and shorts weather. Ive noted I have lost a lot of oil on the dip stick. Reading the past days comments I should do the following:
1/ pull the prop thru 18 times with drains open
2/ remove front spark plugs from lower 3 cylinders and pull thru 18 times and refit plugs
3/ prime engine with Mags off and throttle off, pull thru until I get clean fuel thru drains
Any comments?
Andrew ParkNew Zealand

-------- Original message --------
Date: 23/04/2013 8:06 AM (GMT+12:00)
Subject: Re: Yak-List: Re: Hydraulic lock?

[quote][quote]I add this to my Must Do List
Thanks Dennis

Didier

2013/4/22 A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)>
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)>

Particularly when the temps get below 0 C it is a VERY good idea to have a heat pad on the oil cooler or use some sort of heater to warm the oil in the oil cooler.

I know of one that literally blew apart in the very cold winter weather when the oil tank and sump and engine compartment were heated, but the oil cooler wasn't.

A. Dennis Savarese
[url=tel:334-285-6263]334-285-6263[/url]
[url=tel:334-546-8182]334-546-8182[/url] (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

[quote] Interesting.
I also did put on my main tank EZ Heat systems. Two pads and on the oil sump one pad.
One of my pas did not work and without any question they sent me a replacement.

Works very well. When temperature is below minus 5 you must also use an air heater to warm cylinders and it take about 40mn to warm up to 10 degres oil and 15 degres cyl temp.

Didier

2013/4/22 Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil) <mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>>

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR,

WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil) <mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>>

Didier,

type devices:

Mark

--

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Only one - pull the rear plugs. The airplane still sits at a slightly
nose-high attitude on the ground. A little more of a pain. But
definitely worth the effort.

A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 4/22/2013 3:50 PM, andrew.park wrote:
[quote] I hate to bore you all with this subject but to save an inexperienced
Yak guy the same fate as poor Mark I'd apprciate just one more day of
advice. The original post from Mark was about his aircraft not flying
for 6 months which resulted in his hydrauliced engine. I am in the
same situation having not started my 18t for 2 months however I have
swung the prop 18 times every 2 weeks. It has the drain mods and
obviously its not a tail dragger. So this Sat im going to start it
rain or shine. Its still fairly warm here, t shirt and shorts weather.
Ive noted I have lost a lot of oil on the dip stick. Reading the past
days comments I should do the following:

1/ pull the prop thru 18 times with drains open
2/ remove front spark plugs from lower 3 cylinders and pull thru 18
times and refit plugs
3/ prime engine with Mags off and throttle off, pull thru until I get
clean fuel thru drains

Any comments?

Andrew Park
New Zealand

-------- Original message --------
Date: 23/04/2013 8:06 AM (GMT+12:00)
Subject: Re: Re: Hydraulic lock?
I add this to my Must Do List
Thanks Dennis

Didier

2013/4/22 A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net
<mailto:dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>>

<dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net
<mailto:dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>>

Particularly when the temps get below 0 C it is a VERY
good idea to have a heat pad on the oil cooler or use some
sort of heater to warm the oil in the oil cooler.

I know of one that literally blew apart in the very cold
winter weather when the oil tank and sump and engine
compartment were heated, but the oil cooler wasn't.
A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263 <tel:334-285-6263>
334-546-8182 <tel:334-546-8182> (mobile)
www.yak-52.com <http://www.yak-52.com>
Skype - Yakguy1

Interesting.
I also did put on my main tank EZ Heat systems. Two
pads and on the oil sump one pad.
One of my pas did not work and without any question
they sent me a replacement.
Since now 3 years I am using them and it works
perfectly fine.

Works very well. When temperature is below minus 5 you
must also use an air heater to warm cylinders and it
take about 40mn to warm up to 10 degres oil and 15
degres cyl temp.

Didier

2013/4/22 Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD
<mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil
<mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>
<mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil
<mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>>>

CIV NAVAIR,
WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil
<mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>
<mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil
<mailto:mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>>>
Didier,

I've put an electric heater on the oil tank itself,
and have seen
them mounted on the sump as well. These are typically
"EZ-Heat"
type devices:

My oil cooler has also been changed "back" to having a
veratherm
(basically a thermostat) internal to the oil cooler
itself. This
serves two purposes, first it allows the oil to warm
up must
faster, and two ... it helps to prevent an
over-pressure situation
conditions without pre-heat. There was actually a
change in the
YAK-50 design that pulled these things OUT of the oil
cooler at
one time. I'm not sure why, maybe Richard Goode might
know. In any

Mark
--

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Also prime it a lot and make sure fuel flows out the intake drains verifying they are not clogged up.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: